Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming; Sheridan Area Pronghorn

hansontyrel

My brother and I have finally made up our minds.. We want to do full price non-res pronghorn tags and stay in the Sheridan area, probably 109. But, we know nothing about the pronghorn hunting in the area as we are Non-res. Anyone want to offer pointers for some noobs in the area, maybe post some success pics? Thanks.

BTW, we will be tenting and using rifles for our first time. Maybe following year for stick and string.

Sorry if I duplicated a post but I'm still pretty new here and didn't see any on this exact area.

have you looked at the public access in 109, or are you looking to pay a trespass and get on private land?

I had this tag quite a few years ago, when I was hunting mulies up on the NF. IMO, if you are just chasing Pronghorn, there might be better units.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stay in Buffalo and hunt area 16 or 22. This is unless you have access to private land.

Hunted 109 last year on leftover tags. I have hunted probably 10 different units in Wyoming on leftover tags, with little public land, tough access, etc etc. 109 is the only one I would never go back to. Terrible access, less than cooperative land owners, by far the worst antelope tag I have ever hunted in Wyoming. Went with 4 guys and we all got goats, but it was not the type of hunt you go to Wyoming for and not one I would do again. I would caution you to reconsider....

I hunted 16 on a leftover tag last year and it was ok. There were plenty of places to camp in the area on BLM. I hunted in the middle of the week and you still had to hike a fair amount to get away from people. Drove through 22 and it looked decent as well

Hunted 109 last year on leftover tags. I have hunted probably 10 different units in Wyoming on leftover tags, with little public land, tough access, etc etc. 109 is the only one I would never go back to. Terrible access, less than cooperative land owners, by far the worst antelope tag I have ever hunted in Wyoming. Went with 4 guys and we all got goats, but it was not the type of hunt you go to Wyoming for and not one I would do again. I would caution you to reconsider....

I would second your advice, as 109 is a unit with very little public land that is even legally accessible.

Dang I am glad you are here. Thanks for the cautionary advice. I really like the Sheridan area and we picked it because my brother is keen on moving there sometime in the future. Other than 16/22, any other advice besides avoid 109? THANKS TO ALL.

Dang I am glad you are here. Thanks for the cautionary advice. I really like the Sheridan area and we picked it because my brother is keen on moving there sometime in the future. Other than 16/22, any other advice besides avoid 109? THANKS TO ALL.

It was slim pickings last year in the leftover, if the trend continues leftover tags in Wyoming for goats will be a thing of the past in another year or two. Any of the 20 series units would be a better choice than 109, and there were several 20 series units with leftovers last year.

It was slim pickings last year in the leftover, if the trend continues leftover tags in Wyoming for goats will be a thing of the past in another year or two. Any of the 20 series units would be a better choice than 109, and there were several 20 series units with leftovers last year.

Thanks, I'll be looking into it!

Why are you waiting for leftovers? Why not apply as a party of two with your brother and put in for a great pronghorn unit in WY then chose a 2nd choice that had 100% draw in 2015 as a 2nd choice? I am a non-resident and that works for my party of non-residents. If we draw a great unit then am glad to lose our non-resident pronghorn points but otherwise we get a decent tag with our 2nd choice plus we build up more points in our group.

Why are you waiting for leftovers? Why not apply as a party of two with your brother and put in for a great pronghorn unit in WY then chose a 2nd choice that had 100% draw in 2015 as a 2nd choice? I am a non-resident and that works for my party of non-residents. If we draw a great unit then am glad to lose our non-resident pronghorn points but otherwise we get a decent tag with our 2nd choice plus we build up more points in our group.

Id reccommend the same. This is our first year heading out to Wyoming for pronghorn. After a lot of research and talking to a few members on here we put in for a party tag in a unit we have almost zero chance of drawing and put in for a unit up in the area you are talking about as our second choice. You better hurry up and decide because I believe the application deadline is May 31st.

Thanks for the reminder.I almost forgot to apply for me and my sons goat tags

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back