Wyoming Resident Fees

WyoDoug

Anyone notice the increase in license fees last year? I went to put in for moose this year and noticed it was $157. Did not put in for it last year and just bought the preference points instead which was around 75 I think. Seems prices jumping substantially. I knew it was coming but still a shock when you are on a fixed income planning your hunting trips.

Anyone notice the increase in license fees last year? I went to put in for moose this year and noticed it was $157. Did not put in for it last year and just bought the preference points instead which was around 75 I think. Seems prices jumping substantially. I knew it was coming but still a shock when you are on a fixed income planning your hunting trips.
Doug, the only price that changed recently was the conservation stamp. And preference points are $7. 🙄

Yea, prices didn't go up.
Un yeah, yall 100% right. It just dawned on me that the last couple years I had been putting in for preference points only which are half the price. This year is the first year I actually put in for the license itself.
1644146172513.png

Un yeah, yall 100% right. It just dawned on me that the last couple years I had been putting in for preference points only which are half the price. This year is the first year I actually put in for the license itself.
View attachment 211349
Not sure what you have been putting in for Doug, as the preference points are only $7, not half the price.

Try having three kids who have been real cheap because they qualify for youth prices, and then you realize they're about to become adults....

QQ
I have a boy turning 18 this weekend. He wants to hunt this fall he’s buying his own tags now. Still have a 15 year old to get cheap tags for.

Well I put in for Moose Type 1. Got two preference points. Maybe I get lucky on either the random draw or the regular draw they do. If I do, maybe this fat old man will do some cartwheels in the buff and post it for all yall to see LOL. A sight you can't unsee once you see it.

Seriously, I want to do it once in my lifetime before my health fails me enough that I can't. Luckily it is in the same area and overlaps the same seasons for elk so I will have help if I knock one down. Trying for a big bull during archery and any good size meateater during rifle if I don't get one in archery.

I will be so hyped if I ever draw the moose tag.

Mr @WyoDoug … not to be a bubble-burster … maybe I’m not understanding your comment about “the regular draw” but there wasn’t a single resident WY moose license that went for less than 7 preference points in the regular resident draw last year. And that tag for 7 points was a type 4 tag in unit 40. The type 1 tags all went to high point-holders. It’s gonna have to be a random tag for ya!

Mr @WyoDoug … not to be a bubble-burster … maybe I’m not understanding your comment about “the regular draw” but there wasn’t a single resident WY moose license that went for less than 7 preference points in the regular resident draw last year. And that tag for 7 points was a type 4 tag in unit 40. The type 1 tags all went to high point-holders. It’s gonna have to be a random tag for ya!
Random draw is what I am talking about. The regular draw you refer to (and what I mean when I talk "regular draw") is properly called preference point draw. What I am hoping to get lucky on is the random draw. It will take another 10 years for me to have enough points to draw on the preference points draw. For my area that is 4 tags with around 1600 applicants but better odds than the lottery anyways. For now what I am after is to gain hints and knowledge on how to be more successful if I DID draw because that will be the only moose hunt I will likely ever do. No bubble there to burst partner. If I can find a way to make it happen, I would not mind an experienced hunter tagging along to boost my chances a bit if the real hunt did happen.

Random draw is what I am talking about. The regular draw you refer to (and what I mean when I talk "regular draw") is properly called preference point draw. What I am hoping to get lucky on is the random draw. It will take another 10 years for me to have enough points to draw on the preference points draw. For my area that is 4 tags with around 1600 applicants but better odds than the lottery anyways. For now what I am after is to gain hints and knowledge on how to be more successful if I DID draw because that will be the only moose hunt I will likely ever do. No bubble there to burst partner. If I can find a way to make it happen, I would not mind an experienced hunter tagging along to boost my chances a bit if the real hunt did happen.
I am also moose-less. Let’s keep those bubbles inflated! Let us know if you draw, I plan on being in WY for a couple different hunts in ‘22. Would love to lend a hand on a moose hunt if possible.

If you draw, talk to past moose hunters in the area. Also, find people who elk or deer hunted in your hunt area the prior season and reach out to them. Then, try to find archery elk hunters who are hunting the area the year you will be hunting. Elk and deer hunters, while tight-lipped about their target species, will often share info on the big three.

The day I was flying West to hunt Wyoming moose, a bowhunter sent me a photo of the bull I eventually shot. I got the bull in a spot I had already planned on hunting based on what I had seen on GoogleEarth and it was several miles away from where the on the hoof photo had been taken, but it kept me fired up about the general area.

Based on a few moose hunts, if I only had one week to hunt, I would hunt the first week of October. Also, during the rut, a bull can cover a lot of ground looking for a cow. Outside of the rut, I think they can hole up in a very small area.

My last piece of advice would be to learn to call with your voice. It is very nasally.

Good luck!

I am also moose-less. Let’s keep those bubbles inflated! Let us know if you draw, I plan on being in WY for a couple different hunts in ‘22. Would love to lend a hand on a moose hunt if possible.
IF I draw on the random draw, I got two guys who will help pack out. I have seen moose near the river near where we hunt and creeks that drain into the river during prior elk hunts AND during fishing and camping trips. Where experienced moose hunters would be nice for me is how to approach and call them in because my skill there is zero. I watch them everytime I go up there through binos and spotting scopes and have had them pass by me on the roads while driving to and from. Not a lot but enough to get a good meat eater if I had a license.

Prices are not that bad... Just need to budget accordingly. We just applied my Wife, Son, Daughter, and myself for For Goat, Moose, Sheep... It was painful but we have a separate savings account for license applications and most years we get the majority of it back. $157 for a chance is not bad considering you get it all back minus the application fee and the point fee

Prices are not that bad really. My OP was not really a complaint but a comment that I thought wa fact at the time. Prices are going to be increasing on license fees eventually and it might become a rich mans sport if things keep up. I am a retired state employee and I see the budget proposals every year include something about license fees for hunting and/or fishing. Inflation hits everything unfortunately.

Now as for me, even though I had multiple sources for retirement due to forced career changes due to layoffs and factory closures, I am actually on fixed income that will not keep up with inflation forever. I have to budget carefully for my nunting so any increase for many retirees will come with a bite.

Back