Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming regulation for US Wilderness

Sytes

I am a bit peeved over Wyoming's hunting regulation re: Non residents hunting our Federal Wilderness.

Q. Is it true nonresidents cannot hunt in national forest wilderness areas without a guide?

A. Basically, that's right. Wyoming statute says nonresidents must have a licensed guide or resident companion to hunt big or trophy game in federally designated wilderness areas. The resident companion will need to get a free non-commercial guide license from a Game and Fish office. The law does not prohibit nonresidents from hiking, fishing or hunting game birds, small game, or coyotes in wilderness areas. Only nonresident big and trophy game hunters must have a licensed guide or resident companion.

I value the State ability to regulate fish and game aspects of our federal land though when it goes against the grain, so to say, it peeves me off. This has been a long standing regulation so I imagine it holds water though in my opinion, it exceeds my personal boundary for legit State regulations of my activity on federal land.

Where do the regulations stop if following along with this line of thought? Of course from an Outfitter and WY resident position, I am sure it is a great move though from a non STATE resident desiring to hunt on our federal land, I am forbidden unless I hire a WY Outfitter or convince a WY resident to accompany me on a hunt on my land?

I would have a different opinion if this was on State land though on federal I believe this exceeds state authority. A buddy and enjoy the heck outta the Bob though we want to explore the idea to hunt the Bridger-Teton...

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I don't think it's fair either. I think other states should institute the same restrictions on Wyoming residents hunting wilderness areas in their states. Maybe that would ruffle enough feathers of Wyoming residents to get the law changed.

Since we are talking about other states and instituting the same rules in Wyoming.

Why doesn't Wyoming go along with the up to 10% of tags regulations as other states do?

Suggesting that other states should do the same thing as Wyoming would be very problematic for a lot of people.

A lot of wilderness areas in Nevada, 2.4 Million acres in Idaho, and most of Alaska would be closed to hunting without a guide.

I am not sure that this would be the best idea to try and get Wyoming to play ball.

I do think that Non-Residents should be able too, but the idea that states should do the same thing as Wyoming to get back at Wyoming will hurt more people than it will help.

^I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. Maybe you did, but let me try to do a better job of explaining what I meant. Since Wyoming requires for non-residents to hunt with a guide on wilderness areas, other states could require Wyoming residents (and only Wyoming residents) to hunt with a guide on wilderness areas in said states. Residents of all other states are free to hunt wilderness without a guide like always. I'm sure that would ruffle the feathers of some Wyoming residents such as yourself, but that would be the point of doing it.

I understood. It would be like reciprocity with the concealed carry: you get what you dish out. Problem is, I don't think there are enough Wyoming residents who hunt Wilderness in other states to influence their legislature. And the rest don't give a S. I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

I think a criminal defense case, or federal extortion are the most viable routs.

No, Wyoming guides and regulations are discriminating against the rest of the world.

Most residents do not even hunt the wilderness themselves.

So, Wyoming residents don't vote? They couldn't tell the legislature to knock off the juvenile BS? According to BigHornRam and Nemont, you might have to pay for the company you keep. While I don't think it would work, what's good for the goose might be good for the gander. If there were enough Wyoming residents who hunted out-of-state Wilderness and were prevented from doing so, maybe they'd step up.

Wyoming is very generous to reserve a portion of tags exclusively for non residents. Other states discriminate by limiting nonresidents to 10% but not guaranteeing any.

Not to mention that if you consider wyoming's law making resident and nonresident have different land privileges, then you must also think it is discriminatory for states to charge nonresidents more for tags.

It's a give and take folks. Don't poke the bear. NR have it good in Wyoming

Personally, I would not be interested in a tit for tat though I am curious what are the limits for state regulation over the fish and game on our federal land? This is the crux of my disappointment. Why? This, as mentioned, seems to exceed a states authority though as stated, it has gone for such a long while and I would imagine it has been challenged in one way or another though it just does not seem right.

BHA rep... any thoughts for BHA stance on this subject? We are about back country hunting and nothing fits more perfect than hunting our federal back country wilderness.

Wyoming is very generous to reserve a portion of tags exclusively for non residents. Other states discriminate by limiting nonresidents to 10% but not guaranteeing any.

Not to mention that if you consider wyoming's law making resident and nonresident have different land privileges, then you must also think it is discriminatory for states to charge nonresidents more for tags.

It's a give and take folks. Don't poke the bear. NR have it good in Wyoming

States can do what they want on state and private land. I don't care. But when it's my federal land, feeding their wildlife, then I want to be treated on an equal footing with every other American, including Wyoming residents.

As far as any shenanigans that other states are involved in, I agree: when it comes to federal land, everyone should be treated equally. If there is a compelling state interest in disparate treatment, then make that case. But the idea that I might get lost in Wyoming Wilderness is BS. You can drop me in any country in the world in the middle of the night and I can ingress and egress just fine without a guide. And to apply it to hunters but not hikers, just proves there is no compelling state interest.

The law is BS but, damn there is some good hunting outside of the wilderness in Wyoming!

I don't necessarily think the idea would work, but as I see it there are only two options for getting the law changed, the people of Wyoming making the change or the courts doing so. I'm no legal expert, so I can't speak to the chances of fighting it in court. What you have is a welfare system for Wyoming outfitters and guides. It is my understanding that they have quite a bit of influence in the legislature. It would take a lot of Wyoming voters speaking up to make a difference.

I am really curious how many citations have ever been written for this regulation? I am a resident of Wyo and I hunt Wilderness every year for the last 15 years and I have never been stopped while in the field. Come to think of it I may have even accidently wandered into Wilderness when I moved out of Wyo for a couple years. Maybe not, cant exactly remember. Seems like a lightly enforced regulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't necessarily think the idea would work, but as I see it there are only two options for getting the law changed, the people of Wyoming making the change or the courts doing so. I'm no legal expert, so I can't speak to the chances of fighting it in court. What you have is a welfare system for Wyoming outfitters and guides. It is my understanding that they have quite a bit of influence in the legislature. It would take a lot of Wyoming voters speaking up to make a difference.

Well, I have written to the state representatives many times on the public land transfer issue. I get the same canned cookie cutter response.

I do not think that you could get enough residents on your side for this one.

The best course would be legal action.

Our State legislature here in Wyoming is top-heavy with Ranchers and Agricultural interests. They make the laws to suit themselves and their friends/campaign donors. Good luck trying to change that. Also, there are a lot of states that reserve Moose/Bison/Elk tags for Residents only, that's not fair is it? Wyoming doesn't do that, non residents can hunt anything that us residents hunt. Careful what you wish for.

Well, I have written to the state representatives many times on the public land transfer issue. I get the same canned cookie cutter response.

I do not think that you could get enough residents on your side for this one.

The best course would be legal action.

Thank you for taking the time to write your representatives. I have done the same with the same outcome. Please don't take anything I've said as a shot at Wyoming residents such as yourself. I know most of us share the same opinions. It's just a BS law in my opinion and I was throwing out an option.

Also, there are a lot of states that reserve Moose/Bison/Elk tags for Residents only, that's not fair is it?

It's not fair if it's on federal land and it's not fair if the State does not have a compelling reason for distinguishing residents from non-residents. If it's federal land and no good reason to distinguish, then it's not fair and I'd challenge my State for doing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back