Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Points

I don't know why he mentioned unit 34 because last season it was only a 1 in 3 chance with 3PPs in the Regular Draw and a 2 in 3 in the Special Draw. It took at least 4PPs for a 100% draw in either one for unit 34 and it will probably not get better in 2018.

You are right, 2017 was a 31% chance with Regular Draw. GoHunt has it as 100% with Special Draw....that is why I listed it.

Last edited:
Biology trumps outfitters in Wyoming...and there are NO general units that can take additional pressure and maintain quality, bull to cow ratio's, hunt quality, etc.

Its going to the public and I'm sure the public is going to slam the door on this idea.

If they'd do as the one speaker mentioned and open the Wilderness to NR it would spread some of that pressure out but, I don't see them opening up the Wilderness and giving out another 2000 tags to boot.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they just want a outfitted private land only tag.That would get them some more tags in the draw.I realize it wouldn't help all the outfitters but probably 50%.That wouldn't add too much additional pressure to public ground
I'm not into outfitter welfare so do get me wrong.Just seems asking for a 2000 tag increase is asking way too much

I thought I heard of Outfitter tags too but it could have been in reference to the 2000 getting added to the current 7250.

Last edited:
Anyone with over 8 points needs to burn them this year......grin
Anyone with less, doesn't matter.....

Oak was spot on

I am in the same boat as CiK but I think I am leaning more towards the special draw. If I do draw a general tag is it good for all general units?

I'm glad you made this thread. I am at 3 points now and I think I'll just do what OAK recommended. I'll burn them this year and start learning an area I can draw every couple years.

I would burn the 3 points on a general tag. I have 8 points now and i regret not using them earlier for 2 or possibly 3 general season hunts.

Only 2 months to go and the 2018 WY NR Elk apps will be in.....3 months and we will have the results :cool:

Not sure of how much you could travel back and forth or if you are ok with a cow but 98 can be hunted from September 1st(archery) until January 31st (cow on hma) on the type 1 or type 6 tag. That is a lot of opportunity if that is what you are looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back