Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Land Access/Helicopter Question

The area that I hunted elk in this year had a few areas where the helicopter option would have been nice, but for the most part, I was pretty pleased with the access I had to public property through ranches. One side of the unit was pretty well locked off, but was more an antelope spot, than elk. The other side was primarily controlled by two ranches and both allowed access to their property and public property. One did not allow any four wheelers, though, which I totally understand.

I have always wondered about that air access thing and would sure like to have used it on the Three Forks Ranch in Colorado. Another thread.

The area that I hunted elk in this year had a few areas where the helicopter option would have been nice, but for the most part, I was pretty pleased with the access I had to public property through ranches. One side of the unit was pretty well locked off, but was more an antelope spot, than elk. The other side was primarily controlled by two ranches and both allowed access to their property and public property. One did not allow any four wheelers, though, which I totally understand.

I have always wondered about that air access thing and would sure like to have used it on the Three Forks Ranch in Colorado. Another thread.

I've thought about the same thing there at 3 forks. That big chuck of blm on 3 forks mountain would be unreal!

I've thought about the same thing there at 3 forks. That big chuck of blm on 3 forks mountain would be unreal!

You know EXACTLY where I am talking about. We sat on the road and watched elk all over that mountain the day before the first elk season. That piece used to have an access road at one time. Amazingly (not), the ranch managed to get the BLM road closed through there. It is only a short distance to the public land across the ranch property.

That would be illegal. I went through the process and I was told it would be illegal. I'll see if I can find the old thread that explained it all.

That would be illegal. I went through the process and I was told it would be illegal. I'll see if I can find the old thread that explained it all.

Here it is. Read it and weep, if you are a public land hunter who thought you could hunt your public BLM land without asking for landowner permission.

And people wonder why I have such a sour taste about Colorado's Ranching For Wildlife program.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...o-Filming-Permit-Denied&highlight=Forks+Ranch

So far in Wyoming we have avoided this mess that Randy pointed out in CO. In fact, in HMA units, there are little or no cooperative agreements with the BLM. However, the G&F routinely controls access(motorized) on state ground with a simple phone call. Yet another example of state lands being managed with no public input.

Here it is. Read it and weep, if you are a public land hunter who thought you could hunt your public BLM land without asking for landowner permission.

And people wonder why I have such a sour taste about Colorado's Ranching For Wildlife program.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...o-Filming-Permit-Denied&highlight=Forks+Ranch

That's ridiculous they can do that. There's alot of landlocked blm in that part of CO. I just watched you helicopter episode on Youtube the other day in Montana. We should fight this issue in CO somehow.

Yep. That is why Colorado will not get one more dollar of my hunting (or other type) money.

I made that decision years ago when I had a number of PPs for deer and elk with plans to use them on an RFW ranch and they pulled the rug from under NRs with no notice until the booklet came out for that hunting season. They're happy to take thousands of dollars for an RFW tag from us though and this latest deal that Randy uncovered a few years ago makes my decision even wiser!

I stopped in the Craig BLM office to inquire about that exact parcel a couple of years ago. After going round and round with a very nice and patient lady, I could see there was nothing that could be done there. I was told that the decision was made through the CDW and state politicians. Evidently 3 Forks takes good care of Colorado's elite. Another kick in the stones came when this same lady told me that 3 Forks was trying to get the road closed to the public.

You want it, condemn it. Oh, strike that. I forgot, your politicians are owned by those who would surround your land and lock you out of it so they can have it all to themselves. Oh well, we voted for them too. After all, we could tell by their outfits that they are good people like us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back