Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Elk Unit 21

Apparition

I took the leap and think I finally have a decent handle on Wyoming elk regs. (wow that took some doing) Im looking at unit 21 in the Sierras, certainly not looking for anyones honey hole, just looking for what kind of hunter saturation,is it possible to get back in away from other hunters, elk numbers, and availability of back country water? Thanks in advance.

its mainly road camping in the area.Did you get any maps and see the road system yet

Mixed, Ive been looking it over on Google earth and acme mapper, it does look like access is fairly easy. We may be hunting with a Wyoming resident, so the wilderness areas may be on the table.

Thanks Wapiti, great map!!

A resident friend of mine hunts it every year when he doesn't draw better tag.Some real good bulls in there if you work but I'd say mostly on wilderness.I've seen plenty of his trail cam pics and kills.It is very heavy hunted

Archery has less guys of course but it still has a lot of pressure.I'm sure you'd do better in wilderness.The later in archery the busier it gets.Think if you went in around the 10-20 you'd have a lot more room.Thats what I've found in the neighboring unit.And the access road I use is used by hunters for both units.

there is a lot of elk, archery hunting is good. Hunter pressure is ridiculous during rifle and plenty for archery. if you see a raghorn shoot it. if you were to hold out for a six pt bull you probably won't fill your tag. there is not much wilderness in this unit.

Team/Mixed, is the archery pressure that much that its pretty much a spot and stalk or ambush hunt? When I hunted the Missouri Breaks back in 2007 the archery pressure was that bad, that when you cow called the bulls would go the other way.

No, I've called in bulls on every trip to the neighboring unit.Last trip I called in 5 bulls in a week.Had a 4x4 at 12 yards but passed.Had the biggest bullI ever saw hunting come in following day but offered a frontal at 45 yards soI had to pass again.That one still hurts.There are plenty of 300"+ bulls in there but tough to find and get thru the raghorns.My notes show that the rut really ramps up on the 18th,and I always have bulls keeping me up at night.This is on a roadside camp too.I noticed hunting pressure builds after the 20th bad,and rifle hunting is a circus
If you want any elk don't pass on raghorns!!!!I've never had a year out there where at least one shot opportunity didn't occur at a bull,and typically 3-5 chances.You don't have to always go in deep.My best spot is no more then 300 yards off the road system.I have yet to run into another archery hunter in the woods.They love to ride the roads on their 4 wheelers though.Honestly, I think more people head into your unit then the one I hunt

I am planning on hunting 21 this fall. MixedBag, do you know of any outfitters that use the area? I have tried to search for this but haven't had a lot of luck. I have heard there are a lot of hunters as well.

Mixed, my thoughts were we would hunt from 7th to 15th, Hunt the prerut and before the crowds really move in. Oh and believe me, we plan on shooting the first legal elk to give us a shot, no trophy hunting from us.

MNElkNut, did you check out bowsite? theres a pretty good outfitters section on there.

I will look there. Just to clarify, I don't want an outfitter. We will be DIY. But I would like to know where they go so we don't infringe on them.

Sounds like you will be just before us. I think we will arrive about the 15th. There are 4 of us. How big is your party?

I know of one outfitter in there,but there may be more.Ipass him every year I go out as he's moving his camp in(horse trailers ect..)I have no idea where he hunts over there,but would take a guess its wilderness and you won't have to worry about running into him as a NR
You shouldn't have a problem locating elk.Don't turn your nose up to the neighboring unit though either.I always go from the 14/15 until 22nd.Like I said the crowds really build around the 20th but never effected me.Alot of those bulls over there will come in quiet so ALWAYS be ready when calling.I absolutely love hunting over there and could draw this year but will be chasing my dreams in Ak after bull moose this Sept

MNElknut, 3 of us, not sure what we are going to do yet, or where we are going, I still have alot of research to do, 21 is on the short list. If we go, Ill shoot you an email and give you a heads up on conditions.

I agree with mixedbag, The bulls call in pretty well. I certainly see no need in an outfitter either. The area I hunted the most I have run into elk within a couple hundred yards of the truck and seldom got more than 1.5 miles in. even when the elk aren't responding a lot I have still had success still hunting. there are plenty of elk and if you archery hunt you WILL have a good hunt. The best advice I have for elk hunting in general is watch the wind you will NOT win that battle.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back