PEAX Equipment

Wyoming DIY units

So, I'm doing some of the homework and I'm willing to post some of the results as they relate to the OP and his desire to hunt a DIY Antelope in WY with zero points.

The first place to look is at the preference point draw odds/draw results for last year located here: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/DRAW_ANT_PP_NONRES_20140005879.pdf

In that you will find the following units required zero points to draw (or had at least a 95% success rate for those with zero points): 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,15,16,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,29-2,30,76-2,102,109,111,113,113-2

Now the next thing I do is reference the Wyoming Antelope Hunting Guide http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/WGFD14_ANTMAPCHART.pdf and look for the little (*) next to a unit indicating it has limited/reduced amount public access. However, for the list of units requiring zero points, all but one of them (76-2) had the little asterisks next to it. Now this isn't to say there is NO public hunting land, just a limited amount. This is where you will have to do some homework and determine if there is any and how to access it for any unit you may be interested in. Again, it doesn't mean there isn't any, just that there is a smaller amount than most units and the access might be more difficult.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that the Game and Fish listed them as having limited access. Most still have some public land and almost all of them will have lopes. This past fall I hunted unit 52-2 which is a unit with the asterisk next to it and I still had more public land than I could hunt/walk in the 3 days I spent hunting lopes. I even managed to fill my tag in the process. :hump:

Good luck and you might still be able to get a hunt in 2015 with no points. You can't draw a tag if you don't apply!

Good information!!!

Dude, LOL...........

45 isn't in the leftovers anymore so who knows what next year holds after this post.

I killed this one in 45 in 2011.

Incorrect DUDE! 45 had leftover buck and doe tags after the draw, but they sold out as leftovers according to the stats that are still up on the G&F website!

Newbie - everyone was new once so don't sweat it. Lots of places to hunt in WY with no points or leftovers on public land which you now know. Review the draw odds and research a couple then apply and go. Getting there is half the fun anyway. Grab a GPS chip so you make sure you're on public.

I wasn't smart enough to ask anyone when I started so I missed hunting a couple times until I accidentally drew a tag and realized there are lots of units you can hunt every year. Now it's one of my favorite trips of the year even if I have to go solo.

So, I'm doing some of the homework and I'm willing to post some of the results as they relate to the OP and his desire to hunt a DIY Antelope in WY with zero points.

The first place to look is at the preference point draw odds/draw results for last year located here: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/DRAW_ANT_PP_NONRES_20140005879.pdf

In that you will find the following units required zero points to draw (or had at least a 95% success rate for those with zero points): 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,15,16,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,29-2,30,76-2,102,109,111,113,113-2

Now the next thing I do is reference the Wyoming Antelope Hunting Guide http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/WGFD14_ANTMAPCHART.pdf and look for the little (*) next to a unit indicating it has limited/reduced amount public access. However, for the list of units requiring zero points, all but one of them (76-2) had the little asterisks next to it. Now this isn't to say there is NO public hunting land, just a limited amount. This is where you will have to do some homework and determine if there is any and how to access it for any unit you may be interested in. Again, it doesn't mean there isn't any, just that there is a smaller amount than most units and the access might be more difficult.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that the Game and Fish listed them as having limited access. Most still have some public land and almost all of them will have lopes. This past fall I hunted unit 52-2 which is a unit with the asterisk next to it and I still had more public land than I could hunt/walk in the 3 days I spent hunting lopes. I even managed to fill my tag in the process. :hump:

Good luck and you might still be able to get a hunt in 2015 with no points. You can't draw a tag if you don't apply!

Your homework has a fundamental flaw which leads to an inaccurate conclusion.:cool:

This part:

You need to follow the draw process to its conclusion. If you stop short, you'll miss data that will change your results, which is also why the mags and services post inaccurate GEN odds.

I thank you all for your information. I've read all the post blogs and even from other sites. Hunters are the best at helping others. Don't worry I'll crack the books and burn out some candles plotting out this trip.

Its Christmas time for crying out loud.Buzz said it best when he noted the other units that are just as good and have open HMA lands
Chris,WVHunter,how did you find out about 45??,lol
I gave the guy one easy example out of hundreds available out there.Read draw odds,then check for walk in acres, or HMA's and go hunt.Theres tons of antelope in Wy.No need to go pay a landowner with all the free hunting available.I enjoy figuring it out but some guys don't.So as not to offend anyone from now on I'll send my stuff thru pms.I just reallydon't mind helping people achieve some success and others have helped me out also.So I'm just passing it on.I thinkif you intentionally send a guy in the wrong direction I wouldn't want your Karma
To the OP,try for an elk tag and it will be archery season for elk while antelope is going in 45.Makes for a fun double hunt,but you cant hunt the elk on the hma.Also, as Buzz stated the 2nd week is an open hunt with no draw.I think I stated that too,but you will find the nice bucks then and NO hunters.also,45 ISNT a unit known for big antelope soif that's what your after then build points.But if you want to have one of the most fun hunts on the planet then go for it.

Its Christmas time for crying out loud.Buzz said it best when he noted the other units that are just as good and have open HMA lands
Chris,WVHunter,how did you find out about 45??,lol
I gave the guy one easy example out of hundreds available out there.Read draw odds,then check for walk in acres, or HMA's and go hunt.Theres tons of antelope in Wy.No need to go pay a landowner with all the free hunting available.I enjoy figuring it out but some guys don't.So as not to offend anyone from now on I'll send my stuff thru pms.I just reallydon't mind helping people achieve some success and others have helped me out also.So I'm just passing it on.I thinkif you intentionally send a guy in the wrong direction I wouldn't want your Karma
To the OP,try for an elk tag and it will be archery season for elk while antelope is going in 45.Makes for a fun double hunt,but you cant hunt the elk on the hma.Also, as Buzz stated the 2nd week is an open hunt with no draw.I think I stated that too,but you will find the nice bucks then and NO hunters.also,45 ISNT a unit known for big antelope soif that's what your after then build points.But if you want to have one of the most fun hunts on the planet then go for it.

I believe that sentence of yours in bold was directed at me after I made that follow up post as a joke. In fact, I help so many people on 5 or 6 popular websites answering questions and helping them plan hunts through PMs and emails that it's starting to get in the way of actually keeping up on the websites I'm on! I would never intentionally send anyone in the wrong direction and I hope nobody else would either. I do make numerous suggestions regarding Wyoming based on my knowledge of how to use the G&F website, my extensive travels there over 20+ years, good maps I have available, dates the person may or may not have open for a hunt, PPs they have to use, etc., as well as what chance I think they might have for a good hunt in an area even though I may have never set foot in it.

I must have missed that post from Randy.I think it really would b a good way to teach people outside the western states how to research them.It's really not to hard,but you never know animal populations from research.I make phone calls for that.People here in the east aren't familiar with the fact that western states biologists can be VERY helpful
Yeah top gun that was to you and apologize if u were sarcastic.I just don't have one bit of trouble sending people to where I've found success,except my spot in Montana.I promised a father/son team that I met and became friends with to never post about it.I have sent people to the mountain range just not specific spots
I think poster learned a lot even from my post on how to now research for zero point antelope units with free hunting and avoid trespass fees

I must have missed that post from Randy.I think it really would b a good way to teach people outside the western states how to research them.It's really not to hard,but you never know animal populations from research.I make phone calls for that.People here in the east aren't familiar with the fact that western states biologists can be VERY helpful
Yeah top gun that was to you and apologize if u were sarcastic.I just don't have one bit of trouble sending people to where I've found success,except my spot in Montana.I promised a father/son team that I met and became friends with to never post about it.I have sent people to the mountain range just not specific spots
I think poster learned a lot even from my post on how to now research for zero point antelope units with free hunting and avoid trespass fees
This! I have no problem sharing info I researched and figured out on my own. That is my information to give. That said, I do not give out information on places I was shown by others as IMO that is not my information.

I've hunted the unit and HMA you suggested on opening weekend. It's far from a secret. That said, if the OP is paying attention it should give him lots of clues as to what to look for in other places.

Incorrect DUDE! 45 had leftover buck and doe tags after the draw, but they sold out as leftovers according to the stats that are still up on the G&F website!

Incorrect. They did not have any leftover buck or doe tags. They all sold in the draw. if I had not put my dad in for doe tags he would have not had the chance to hunt. We normally get a second buck tag in area 45 but did not have the chance as there were not tags left over. They have cut the tag numbers back in se Wyoming.

As for telling someone your spot I don't but I will point people in the right direction.

Incorrect. They did not have any leftover buck or doe tags. They all sold in the draw. if I had not put my dad in for doe tags he would have not had the chance to hunt. We normally get a second buck tag in area 45 but did not have the chance as there were not tags left over. They have cut the tag numbers back in se Wyoming.

As for telling someone your spot I don't but I will point people in the right direction.

Just a quick apology here on my end DUDE, LOL, as you are correct! I contacted my Wyoming guru, Mr. WapitiBob, who captures most all of the odds information and stuff for his records when it comes up on the G&F website. I was thinking the leftover list just had those units on it that still had tags available, but it does in fact show all the units with a "sold out" for those that did even before the leftovers go on sale. Sorry about that!

Last edited:
just a quick apology here on my end dude, lol, as you are correct! I contacted my wyoming guru, mr. Wapitibob, who captures most all of the odds information and stuff for his records when it comes up on the g&f website. I was thinking the leftover list just had those units on it that still had tags available, but it does in fact show all the units with a "sold out" for those that did even before the leftovers go on sale. Sorry about that!

lol!!!!

Doing your homework is part of the fun of hunting.The more research you do the luckier you become.

Absolutely, the old adage of give a man a fish vs teaching him to fish stands true. At the end of the day going to a place someone told you about is much less rewarding than scanning Wyoming game and finish success rates vs PP needed, choosing a unit, scanning all of the public land, identifying any additional walk in land info, and putting on some miles and glossing to take the animal you earned 100%. I am all for throwing a bone to help others but earning the rest is half the fun!

Guess I was too much in a giving mood.Canoe country your right on though.I enjoy doing the research but coming from 2000+ miles away,you sure can get an uneasy feeling by just map reading.I've always been very fortunate so far on my hunt locations.I've always given away my past hunt locations but I really guess I should make people earn it a little more.HopeI didn't wreck anyones odds but as was said, theres at least 50 spots identical to what I gave up.In an hours time I'm sure I could come up with at least a dozen if not more
To some of you guys doing research from far away.I recommend you contact the local biologists to see what they think of your choice of areas.They are mostly super helpful and will at times give you new places to look at

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back