MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY unit 72

emtyhopper

A buddy and I are taking our wives on their first antelope hunt this year in unit 72. I have hunted antelope a handful of times, but never been to this part of the state.
We will be driving out from Missouri and tent camping on BLM ground and hunting the opener on 9/15. Do any of you have some info on hunting this area? Any places we should focus on, or stay away from? Are the antelope numbers still pretty good after the hard winter?

I know how to hunt antelope and am not especially concerned about filling our tags, just hoping to maybe get a little info on the area.

Last edited:
It definitely got hit by winter. The number of tags are always high in the unit and as a result the trophy quality is pretty low. Lots of land to cover but be ver careful. There is a lot of unmarked private and many areas where the blm ends onto private but no fences etc.

It is a unit with a lot of tags. It will be pretty crowded and the lopes will be really wild and spooky quickly into the hunt. Like 2nd 3rd day they will be super spooky…

Lopes through out the unit. Stay to the numbered and county roads. There are a few outfitters there that will charge anyone they can so if a road hit even 10 feet of private before hitting public don’t take it.

Good news with GPS there used to be a lot spots that used to be marked private that are not and those signs have been taken down…

Thanks for the info.

I've hunted unit 22 as a 2nd choice a couple times while trying to build a few points. They sell a ton of tags and there's very little public ground in that unit. We didn't have much trouble filling our tags, but im hoping 72 is a lot better than 22.

I'll be using OnX and will be sure to steer clear of outfitters. Ive been accused of trespassing before...luckily i had the tracking feature going on Onx showing where i had been.

Thanks for the info.

I've hunted unit 22 as a 2nd choice a couple times while trying to build a few points. They sell a ton of tags and there's very little public ground in that unit. We didn't have much trouble filling our tags, but im hoping 72 is a lot better than 22.

I'll be using OnX and will be sure to steer clear of outfitters. Ive been accused of trespassing before...luckily i had the tracking feature going on Onx showing where i had been.
Yes it will be better than 22. Access is better and there is more land for public and the chunks are bigger and it is a lot more chopped up so as the lopes move they are more likely to end up on public.

A buddy and I are taking our wives on their first antelope hunt this year in unit 72. I have hunted antelope a handful of times, but never been to this part of the state.
We will be driving out from Missouri and tent camping on BLM ground and hunting the opener on 9/15. Do any of you have some info on hunting this area? Any places we should focus on, or stay away from? Are the antelope numbers still pretty good after the hard winter?

I know how to hunt antelope and am not especially concerned about filling our tags, just hoping to maybe get a little info on the area.
There was some big walk in areas in the north end of the unit, I believe around the hells half acre area. I'll be in 73 the next hunt area north, you'll have a good time, it's better than 22 which I have hunted.

There was some big walk in areas in the north end of the unit, I believe around the hells half acre area. I'll be in 73 the next hunt area north, you'll have a good time, it's better than 22 which I have hunted.
How many points did you have for 73? I had the tag a few years ago. Fun hunt.

Many years ago, I hunted unit 70 with my son. It bordered 72 back then and we saw some nice bucks on the south end of 72. We did not see any hunters in that area, but as I said, it was many years ago. My advice would be to try to get away from the crowd. Any more, if I have an antelope tag I avoid the first week or two and let the antelope settle down a bit. If you wait til then and hunt mid week, you will have much less competition and if you are not concerned about filling your tags, then the experience will be much better when you are not bothered by other hunters.
That's my two cents.

72 can be a fun unit. Haven't been there since the winter kill, but it had a ton of animals, and some decent bucks, was hard to find a piece of public land that didn't have animals on it. My son has several points, 72 is top if my list for him.

We'll also be hunting antelope in 72 this year, hoping to help both my son and dad get their first antelope.
I'll be using a small travel trailer as a base camp, should I have any concerns with setting up a base camp with a trailer on blm somewhere?

I just want to thank you all for naming hunt areas and blowing the places up.
Very considerate.

Reactions: OMB
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back