Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming DIY units

Marauder177

Looking for some decent units to put in for the 2015 Wyoming antelope hunts.
Taking my Dads old Remington 30-06 and hitting places like Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado, that we talked about when he was alive.
Any info or advice would be welcomed.

Last edited:
In the 9 years that Wyoming has had PPs for NRs for deer, antelope, and elk it has become very hard to draw any unit that has plenty of accessible public land without having 1 or 2 PPs in the Regular Drawing. Some can be drawn in the higher priced Special Drawing, but I probably wouldn't go that route if I were you. Rather, if you want to hunt in 2015 and don't have any PPs you may want to spend the money that it would take over the next few years to buy PPs or to pay the higher fee and just pay an access fee to a rancher in a unit like 23 that has a lot of leftover tags after the drawing every year because it is predominantly private land.

Yeah, don't have PP so 2015 might be out. Thanks for the advice. Will definitely start putting in. Thanks again!

Some units in eastern Wyoming can be drawn with no PP.Most have small pieces of public land.You can find out most info you need on the Wyoming G&F web site. Trespass fees on private ranch's very .I Only hunt doe antelope any more and have never had to pay a trespass fee.There are several WALK IN AREAS around the town of Lusk. With some foot work you can take a respectable buck there.My son went with friends to unit 23 on left over tags and hunted a small parcel of BLM land. All 4 of them got there antelope by 10 A:M opening day.

Some units in eastern Wyoming can be drawn with no PP.Most have small pieces of public land.You can find out most info you need on the Wyoming G&F web site. Trespass fees on private ranch's very .I Only hunt doe antelope any more and have never had to pay a trespass fee.There are several WALK IN AREAS around the town of Lusk. With some foot work you can take a respectable buck there.My son went with friends to unit 23 on left over tags and hunted a small parcel of BLM land. All 4 of them got there antelope by 10 A:M opening day.

Yep, not saying it can't be done, but it takes a lot of homework and some luck to do what you mentioned. Many ranchers allow free doe hunting and it's usually after the opening week crowd is gone, so that is another thing the OP might think about to get his feet wet out there and not pay a lot for tags. Doe tags in the draw are $48 and the leftovers are only $34, while a buck tag is close to $300 and the price doesn't drop for leftovers.

I'll be nice and do your homework for you.Enter for unit 45 and it no pp needed to draw.Then enter the draw for Strouss hill HMA;again 100%.Go hunt and shoot your buck .I did that hunt myself twice and killed a big buck and a small buck.I got the bigger buck the 2nd week of season where you don't have to enter the draw to hunt the HMA.Never saw another hunter that day.It only took about an hour and I was done.First day of rifle in there is kind of a circus,but day 2 you almost have the place to yourself
so there you go.An antelope tag you WILL draw,a place that's free to hunt,and I've been 100% successful in there.I've sent others to that place as well and all of them were successful to.You could kill as many doe as you want to buy tags for as well
Your welcome

IMHO that's a little more than you should offer to a newbie and doing it right out on this well read Forum, rather than by PM, will probably not help him be by himself next season if he follows your freebie advice. Just sayin!

Doing your homework is part of the fun of hunting.The more research you do the luckier you become.

Doing your homework is part of the fun of hunting.The more research you do the luckier you become.

Yep! I also looked at the stats and I don't know how many tags were left after the draw in 45, but all the buck and doe tags sold out as leftovers. Therefore, it's hard to say from one season to the next if what mixedbag told the newbie to do will be accurate next year.

But that info also helps out non nubies like myself,
Matt

Yep, that's my point and the whole problem putting stuff right out on the net so everybody and his Mother can read it. Then we wonder why the place is a zoo when we go back for our next hunt in that "good" area. I think sometimes we cut our own throat trying to be too helpful on threads when maybe things should be kept to PMs.

Yep, that's my point and the whole problem putting stuff right out on the net so everybody and his Mother can read it. Then we wonder why the place is a zoo when we go back for our next hunt in that "good" area. I think sometimes we cut our own throat trying to be too helpful on threads when maybe things should be kept to PMs.

Topgun, I may be off-base on this but if you received the latest issue of Bugle I would check out the article on the last page. It kinda opened my eyes on both sides of the argument for telling people your spots. Also, to the OP, you can find lots of units to hunt that require no points and hold antelope. Finding a B&C is a different story. But finding animals is pretty common thing.

Last edited:
Topgun, aren't your comments the" pot calling the kettle black"? I've seen you send guys to units you never stepped foot in, knowing there were more obstacles to hunting that unit than what you could learn sitting at a desk in Michigan looking at your cd rom.

The "zoo" is controlled on Strouss hill by the GF/Landowner via controlling permission slip numbers...you have to draw a permission slip to hunt early.

Go later and you wont have anything but the place to yourself....no different than unit 1, 2, 36, 44, 47, 49, 56. 102, 5, 15, 19, 73, 91, 65, 54....etc. etc. etc.

Topgun, aren't your comments the" pot calling the kettle black"? I've seen you send guys to units you never stepped foot in, knowing there were more obstacles to hunting that unit than what you could learn sitting at a desk in Michigan looking at your cd rom.

And why do you think I'm sending them there, LOL!

Topgun, I may be off-base on this but if you received the latest issue of Bugle I would check out the article on the last page. It kinda opened my eyes on both sides of the argument for telling people your spots. Also, to the OP, you can find lots of units to hunt that require no points and hold antelope. Finding a B&C is a different story. But finding animals is pretty common thing.

I haven't gotten to the last page of the Bugle yet, but I'll make sure and read it later today. Telling people a general area that they may have success and telling them "your spot" are two completely different things. As far as your last comment on finding lots of units requiring no PPs that hold antelope, I think that may be a stretch if you're talking about ones with lots of legally accessible public land. Most of those like 23 are private land with not that much public and what's there usually gets hammered at least the opening few days.

Last edited:
The "zoo" is controlled on Strouss hill by the GF/Landowner via controlling permission slip numbers...you have to draw a permission slip to hunt early.

Go later and you wont have anything but the place to yourself....no different than unit 1, 2, 36, 44, 47, 49, 56. 102, 5, 15, 19, 73, 91, 65, 54....etc. etc. etc.

No doubt and that's why people really need to do their homework to figure out what you just mentioned, etc.

No doubt and that's why people really need to do their homework to figure out what you just mentioned, etc.

So, I'm doing some of the homework and I'm willing to post some of the results as they relate to the OP and his desire to hunt a DIY Antelope in WY with zero points.

The first place to look is at the preference point draw odds/draw results for last year located here: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/DRAW_ANT_PP_NONRES_20140005879.pdf

In that you will find the following units required zero points to draw (or had at least a 95% success rate for those with zero points): 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,15,16,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,29-2,30,76-2,102,109,111,113,113-2

Now the next thing I do is reference the Wyoming Antelope Hunting Guide http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/WGFD14_ANTMAPCHART.pdf and look for the little (*) next to a unit indicating it has limited/reduced amount public access. However, for the list of units requiring zero points, all but one of them (76-2) had the little asterisks next to it. Now this isn't to say there is NO public hunting land, just a limited amount. This is where you will have to do some homework and determine if there is any and how to access it for any unit you may be interested in. Again, it doesn't mean there isn't any, just that there is a smaller amount than most units and the access might be more difficult.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that the Game and Fish listed them as having limited access. Most still have some public land and almost all of them will have lopes. This past fall I hunted unit 52-2 which is a unit with the asterisk next to it and I still had more public land than I could hunt/walk in the 3 days I spent hunting lopes. I even managed to fill my tag in the process. :hump:

Good luck and you might still be able to get a hunt in 2015 with no points. You can't draw a tag if you don't apply!

Last edited:
I'll be nice and do your homework for you.Enter for unit 45 and it no pp needed to draw.Then enter the draw for Strouss hill HMA;again 100%.Go hunt and shoot your buck .I did that hunt myself twice and killed a big buck and a small buck.I got the bigger buck the 2nd week of season where you don't have to enter the draw to hunt the HMA.Never saw another hunter that day.It only took about an hour and I was done.First day of rifle in there is kind of a circus,but day 2 you almost have the place to yourself
so there you go.An antelope tag you WILL draw,a place that's free to hunt,and I've been 100% successful in there.I've sent others to that place as well and all of them were successful to.You could kill as many doe as you want to buy tags for as well
Your welcome

Dude, LOL...........

45 isn't in the leftovers anymore so who knows what next year holds after this post.

I killed this one in 45 in 2011.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back