Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming deer Special draw odds??

TN VOL

So I struck out in the WY elk draw..after not seeing much of a difference in the special draw for elk what do you all think about the special deer pool in WY? Will the special odds get better or stay the same similar to elk??

I wont pay special money for a mule deer but I will for elk if I thought it would get me a bull

I really thought there was gonna be more of a difference on the elk tags.
With deer and antelope I’m going to again think that is going to be more of a difference, but I might be wrong on all three.

I was really surprised the elk special didn’t change much for general.

I have to think think there will be a lot of low- and mid-tier antelope units that see a shift of several points in the special. I've hunted an opportunity-type unit several times that has typically gone for 0-2 points in the special. I paid the old special fee once, but I'd never pay $1,200 for it. I don't imagine a ton of people would.

I doubt top units will see a huge difference, but I just put my dad in for a higher end unit in the special in hopes that it does. He wants a top unit and is pushing 60 without a very high point balance, so I'm doing what I can for him. Special random odds typically have been a fair bit better in our unit of choice even before the change. We'll see what this year brings.

Deer, I'm curious. There were very few deer units I would have paid the old special price for, and none that I'm inclined to pay $1,200+ for. The Huntin' Fool magazine was pretty much all doom and gloom on Wyoming deer. It's hard for me to see the value when there are a lot of good opportunities in neighboring states. If there's one thing I know for sure, though, there are a lot of people with a lot of money.

Could someone post a link to the WG&F Google Drive folder with the tag quota proposed changes? The one with the red and blue mark-ups. Please and thank you.
@WapitiBob
@BuzzH
@JM77
I think this is what you're looking for?
Under 2024 regulations?

Edit, I guess this doesn't show markup anymore. Sorry!

The deer hunt I was planning to apply for was removed this year. The antelope I was going to apply for jumped by about a point and a half… so at this point I’m totally back to the drawing board.

Speaking of antelope specifically I have 5 points and after 2023 draw odds were updated to the hunt planner it’s obvious that 5 points doesn’t seem to get you much in Wyoming at this point. With that being said im stuck between trying to decide to burn my 5 points as quick as possible in any available unit, or hold out two or so more years to get into a better unit. My hesitation with burning points on a low tier unit now is that at this rate it will take 8-10 years to get back into a mid tier hunt. Kind of crazy to think about the direction this is heading…

I don't think that's available anymore. Bob might know different.
Yeah, every year it gets pulled from the website but remains in the public google drive folder. Bob and Glenn typically save the link, but Glenn deactivated his account and I foolishly deleted his phone # from my contacts 🤬

I have to think think there will be a lot of low- and mid-tier antelope units that see a shift of several points in the special. I've hunted an opportunity-type unit several times that has typically gone for 0-2 points in the special. I paid the old special fee once, but I'd never pay $1,200 for it. I don't imagine a ton of people would.

I doubt top units will see a huge difference, but I just put my dad in for a higher end unit in the special in hopes that it does. He wants a top unit and is pushing 60 without a very high point balance, so I'm doing what I can for him. Special random odds typically have been a fair bit better in our unit of choice even before the change. We'll see what this year brings.

Deer, I'm curious. There were very few deer units I would have paid the old special price for, and none that I'm inclined to pay $1,200+ for. The Huntin' Fool magazine was pretty much all doom and gloom on Wyoming deer. It's hard for me to see the value when there are a lot of good opportunities in neighboring states. If there's one thing I know for sure, though, there are a lot of people with a lot of money.
No tag will go unsold or be much, if any easier to draw, even given the giant price increase. In fact, I'd bet a guy might do better in the regular as some folks, fearing to NOT be able to draw once 10% NR cap goes in, are wanting to draw NOW.

I'm in for my 10th Wyoming antelope permit. $1,245.38 ouch.

Doing the math, Wyoming "special" pronghorn, if I make only 1 trip during archery and a second trip for rifle, the meat is automatically not less than $100/lb. Odds are I'll make more trips than that.

I think this is what you're looking for?
Under 2024 regulations?

Edit, I guess this doesn't show markup anymore. Sorry!

I was looking for this today as well. Went to the site Kwyeewyk linked and was able to compare '23 and '24 side by side.

Back