Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana combo draw odds

Are the numbers available for the come home to hunt program? How many hunters has this added?
I wish I could just upload the whole slide presentation. It takes some digging on the FWP cite to find it, but this link might work: https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...re/2023/hunting-license-trends-in-montana.pdf
This data was all collected pre-23 legislative session, so we don't have any numbers for how many nonresident landowners with 2500 acres or more have been added, since they now get free tags.
Statutorily limited licenses.png

Reactions: DFS
@Sexual Chocolate can you help? I’m seeing 24,500 deer tags issued in Montana for nonresidents, that would be well above 90/10.

That includes all deer & elk.

17k B10 Combos

4600 B11, with a reserve of 2000 for Landowner set aside.

The rest are from the free & reduced price licenses like come home to hunt, the college kid deal, etc.

The NR Landowners pool comes out of the B10 and they have to pay full price for them.

90/10 only applies to limited entry/permits. Not general license types. Those are set in statute for NR's based on usage around the early 1970's.

I'm no sexual chocolate, but example 2 is the scenario that has led to higher NR permits than 90/10. Surplus spills over to NRs. Also, unlimited B tags are the other culprit.
View attachment 319169View attachment 319170

Good add.

The messing up on the draw created the blip in 90/10 for permits.

Edit: one day, if you believe in yourself, you too can be sexual chocolate.

17k B10 Combos

The rest are from the free & reduced price licenses like come home to hunt, the college kid deal, etc.

The NR Landowners pool comes out of the B10 and they have to pay full price for them.

90/10 only applies to limited entry/permits. Not general license types. Those are set in statute for NR's based on usage around the early 1970's.
So what is the solid number of deer tags from nonresidents? I understand that 90/10 only applies to permits, was just wondering how generous Montana is being?

Edit: More specifically I am curious if the come home to hunt tags and other programs are capped?

Last edited:
So what is the solid number of deer tags from nonresidents? I understand that 90/10 only applies to permits, was just wondering how generous Montana is being?

Edit: More specifically I am curious if the come home to hunt tags and other programs are capped?

Nonresident native isn't capped, neither is nonresident youth combo.

Those have the highest growth in antlered license growth, outside of the B11 resell of the deer portion of the b10 that gets turned in.

That resell technically doesn't add new licenses, it allows the same license that gets returned to be resold, so effectively it increases the number of nr deer hunters/hunter days by about 4500-5500 depending on the number that return the deer part.

The director today also said that they are seeing indicators of NR pressure easing in terms of applications so...that usually portends bad things. Curious if other states are having a NR downturn as well.

Reactions: DFS
Nonresident native isn't capped, neither is nonresident youth combo.

Those have the highest growth in antlered license growth, outside of the B11 resell of the deer portion of the b10 that gets turned in.

That resell technically doesn't add new licenses, it allows the same license that gets returned to be resold, so effectively it increases the number of nr deer hunters/hunter days by about 4500-5500 depending on the number that return the deer part.

The director today also said that they are seeing indicators of NR pressure easing in terms of applications so...that usually portends bad things. Curious if other states are having a NR downturn as well.
It would be interesting to have the numbers. They might not have to worry about it if there isn’t any deer left to hunt. Joking, kind of.

17k B10 Combos

90/ UP TO 10%

I have as much faith in FWP numbers as I do in shooting a 210 inch buck in the breaks honestly. I think we can all agree on that.
So the tags numbers thrown up add up to around 25k tags and FWP stats puts license sold at over 71k. I'm pretty sure there wasn't 50k antlerless tags sold to NR's. Somebody that has more knowledge please prove me wrong. Something doesn't add up at all to me.

Any suggested reps for a nonresident senior citizen set-aside? I wanna make sure i can still get my tags when i retire in Wyoming.
Wouldn’t you qualify for come home to hunt? Either way wildlife herds would probably flourish if you left.😂

I have as much faith in FWP numbers as I do in shooting a 210 inch buck in the breaks honestly. I think we can all agree on that.
So the tags numbers thrown up add up to around 25k tags and FWP stats puts license sold at over 71k. I'm pretty sure there wasn't 50k antlerless tags sold to NR's. Somebody that has more knowledge please prove me wrong. Something doesn't add up at all to me.
I think the # whatever it was includes all tags - deer and elk with b tags included , when folks can get 7 b deer tags and 2 b elk tags each it adds up quick. But too many come home to hunt , native , college student tags , all those should be cut .

See SD/ND/PA/KY or any non western state with elk/moose
No non-resident caps or limits on elk tags in PA. Due to the demographics of the applicants it usually ends up around 90/10 or 85/15 however there's been years where 30%+ of a particular tag type go NR. It'd be a statistical anomaly but there's nothing to stop 100% of the tags going to NRs

Last edited:

That includes antlerless, upland, water fowl, bear, wolf, turkey, etc.

This file has been shared on a few threads. @Gerald Martin shared it a couple of years ago. I think the general conclusion was the jump in NR was largely coming from B tags, but given the constant changes it is hard to draw hard conclusions. I wonder how many people buy the base hunting in a "tag along" hunt and don't have a big game tag.

Attachments

• 10YEAR Lic ALS Sales 2021.pdf
    177.7 KB · Views: 9
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back