Caribou Gear

Montana combo draw odds

View attachment 319008
A Quick Look at region 6 and 7 and no other state allows this. Nonresidents need to come less often and be directed to where they go. That is the free for all with a state wide general tag. Nonresident tags are not capped with the new programs. Wildlife first, nonresidents that pay the bills probably deserve to be in 3rd place behind wildlife and residents. Tags will still sell out.
Yeah, but we all know FWP data is crap so that is probably wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Get your check book out then . NR caps haven’t changed . The resident free for all is the problem.
Even if that were the case - R will be taken care of first, justifiably. See SD/ND/PA/KY or any non western state with elk/moose

There has to be some variables to explain some of the numbers. Nonresidents are paying over $1000 more if it's the combo so probably a little more inclined to hunt harder or more probably just shoot any buck where a resident could hold out. Also, the skewed numbers are in regions 6 & 7 where not many people live so again nonresidents are probably more willing to drive out there to fill tags where as residents are staying closer to home, hence why the other regions are so stacked with the ratio, because that's where the majority of the residents live. Just a theory.

Edit: From the same resource this I think more accurately shows the impact from nonresidents. There's no way nonresidents have 33% of all deer tags.
I can not speak to region 6, but region 7 is full of residents from other regions. I regularly see 7 license plates and 6 plates are everywhere.
Likely one of the reasons NR take such a high percentage of the bucks in 6 & 7 is that NR are more likely to pay to hunt quality private land where success rates are going to be much higher.

Last edited:
Those numbers are likely skewed in regions 6&7 so much because of the heavy outfitting presence there for deer. But everyone knows it's the last best place, if you want to call it that on both sides of the fence. MD tags need to be controlled from all angles in the entire state if you want to see true progress.

Those numbers are likely skewed in regions 6&7 so much because of the heavy outfitting presence there for deer. But everyone knows it's the last best place, if you want to call it that on both sides of the fence. MD tags need to be controlled from all angles in the entire state if you want to see true progress.
Exactly . Limited opportunity for R and NR

View attachment 319008
A Quick Look at region 6 and 7 and no other state allows this. Nonresidents need to come less often and be directed to where they go. That is the free for all with a state wide general tag. Nonresident tags are not capped with the new programs. Wildlife first, nonresidents that pay the bills probably deserve to be in 3rd place behind wildlife and residents. Tags will still sell out.
Few things to consider, region 6 and 7 are massive, almost half of the state. Also happen to be the most sparsely populated. That combined with them being located in the east, it is easy to see why numbers would look like that. It just shows residents don’t want to drive.
If you are really wanting to help MD I’d agree though, 6&7 should be split into more districts, there should be no MD doe tags for residents and non residents, and pick your region is a good idea.

Few things to consider, region 6 and 7 are massive, almost half of the state. Also happen to be the most sparsely populated. That combined with them being located in the east, it is easy to see why numbers would look like that. It just shows residents don’t want to drive.
If you are really wanting to help MD I’d agree though, 6&7 should be split into more districts, there should be no MD doe tags for residents and non residents, and pick your region is a good idea.
Ah yes, NR harvest should be higher 😑

Residents drive to region 6&7. You'll see more Bozeman license plates in an afternoon over there than you will local plates all season.

View attachment 319008

I see your point based off the “data” from the chart but I view it as a management issue that has nothing to do with the amount of NR tags. If they managed the regions properly it would not be an issue. They could eliminate every NR tag and those regions would still suffer from mismanagement.

I see your point based off the “data” from the chart but I view it as a management issue that has nothing to do with the amount of NR tags. If they managed the regions properly it would not be an issue. They could eliminate every NR tag and those regions would still suffer from mismanagement.
IMG_4231.png
I’m guessing if regions 6 and 7 were held to the standard of 90/10 for nonresidents things would start to look better. Thats a lot of bucks getting shot by nonresidents. I am hopeful things are headed in a better direction. And yes @SAJ-99 who knows if this data is correct but it’s all we have.

Are the numbers available for the come home to hunt program? How many hunters has this added?

Back