Wyoming 51-2 Elk

dlsmith222

I am looking into putting my points into this unit since I want to hunt and it doesn't take me 10 plus to draw. The question I have is more then likely it will be a solo hunt and I want to know about the bear situation first. If anyone can give me any insight on bear population or interactions I would appreciate it. Besides bear spray precautions which I always do, please let me know what other precautions you have taken in the past if you have hunted this unit. Thanks

BEARS! We saw lots of BEARS! My buddy and I came down from MT last year and hunted this exact place. It was tougher than expected to find elk, a lot tougher.

As far as protection, I had a .44 mag on my hip and bear spray in my hand. I don't have the same level of comfort you do to be in such densely populated grizzly country solo. Best of luck to you and be safe!

Lot and lots of bears. I have a relative who runs cows on the forest service land. They loose lots of cows and calves. There are a couple areas that they never go into if they can help it. Big old boar lives in there and does NOT want anybody around, two areas like this. Its not if you are going to run into a grizzly its when and how many. They never go in the back country alone anymore in the fall of the year, always pack a pistol and always a 12 gauge. They have to stay out with the cows sometimes and have a couple dogs with, plus electric fence around the tent. I would never go into that country alone and hunt.

I've heard that the 51-2 side of the unit has far fewer elk than 51-1. Not sure if thats true as I was looking into it as well. Bears would definitely be a major concern, but nothing that would keep from going solo.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the information. I will definitely be looking into another area.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back