Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyomiing honeymoon

Hey John, I did a hunt in Wy last fall and it was in a unit that has lots of tags on private land PM me if intrested I know you have had several already.

I have to say, i am new here , but the amount of nice people helping out nice people on this site is great!

I sent a couple people PM's from this thread, as I am kinda in the same boat, myself and the wife want to come out to wyoming and try this antelope hunting. Having zero points as of right now, i know I am going to be limited to certain areas as well.

Yes but so reasonable I don't want to advertise it.

I PM'd you, but on second thought, I have a lot of good information to work with so far, so don't answer me. I don't want to encroach on your spot and generosity unless it becomes a necessity. Thank you very much, though.

So, I start my research on the WY website comparing draw odds and leftovers and all of that and see that unit 2 is on there with good numbers. I remember from hunting unit 7 in the past that unit 2 has a ton of National Forest in it, so I'm like SCORE!!! I go to their interactive maps section and it says unit to has difficult access...hmmmm I look at the map and zoom in and see that there's a bunch of state land and BLM and just about 1/3 of the unit is NF...but it's all landlocked by private land!!! DAMNIT!!! Back to the drawing board...

It may not be that it is land locked, but that the public land doesn't have many pronghorns. Check a topo map to verify, but it's probably rougher type terrain. I ran into that years ago when I was looking at the units around Gillette. I may be wrong though, not familiar with 2.

The only antelope habitat in 2 is along US-212 in the NE corner, the national forest area is pretty much all black hills. Its definitely not your typical flat open antelope terrain on the large blocks of public.

So, I start my research on the WY website comparing draw odds and leftovers and all of that and see that unit 2 is on there with good numbers. I remember from hunting unit 7 in the past that unit 2 has a ton of National Forest in it, so I'm like SCORE!!! I go to their interactive maps section and it says unit to has difficult access...hmmmm I look at the map and zoom in and see that there's a bunch of state land and BLM and just about 1/3 of the unit is NF...but it's all landlocked by private land!!! DAMNIT!!! Back to the drawing board...

I've been going thru the same thing. Then when you google a unit you will find post that say they had great hunts the some where people would never hunt that unit again. So I guess the only way to know for sure is to get topos for the unit and try to see if the public is antelope ground. That can also be deceiving because I've seen some antelope in some pretty rough country in wy.

Then I've found a few areas that I could draw with zero pts Then I'll look at the regs and they are tags which are good only 1/2 m from irrigated fields which pretty much makes them good for private only.

The problem is, I don't mind eating a tag, and I live close enough that I can go back up a couple of times if I need to. But, they will only have a week to fill their tag or maybe two, so I'm trying to find a spot that it would be feesable for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back