Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY unit 62 elk

kstitz

Guys,

I drew this tag in the random draw. I am looking for any info I can on the unit from people who have hunted it. I know there are alot of griz in this unit and I have prior experience hunting in griz country. Is the area conducive to horse back hunting? Does it make sense to camp by the road or do I need to pack in?

Thanks, Kelly

I have sat and glassed hundreds of elk above the timber line in 62, while hunting 61. That looks like some very rough, vertical country to me and I think that there are specific spots to get on top from, according to a guy that I talked to. Jack's Creek camp ground is a pretty good jumping off spot, I would think. And YES there are lots of griz on that whole front range.

Thanks sbhopper,

I have been studding the unit on Google Earth and there is a ton of elky looking country. I really want to find an area that is the hardest to access on foot or horse and has no atv trails.

Thanks sbhopper,

I have been studding the unit on Google Earth and there is a ton of elky looking country. I really want to find an area that is the hardest to access on foot or horse and has no atv trails.

Hunted it a couple years ago. I'll send you a PM. Jake

Kstitz,

I was wondering what you thought of this hunt and how you did? I am a resident but have never hunted this area. I’m thinking of applying for 62 this year. Any input would be appreciated! Thank you,

Stephen

Kelly, I spend lots of time in 62... Saturday while bear hunting had a good sized boar griz 70 yards(blue tag left ear), LOTS of grizzlies. Did see a good bull 5*5 but bigger frame still carrying both antlers? Crazy. Let me know if I can help but off the atv trail is easy here but it's nasty steep in places and has some good horse trails. Camping can be tricky off the mountain.

Chris

Back