WY Results Buzz Kill - Interpreting results

Things will settle down after another two draws. Points only folks who had been accumulating as non-residents saw the rise in tags (bison, ouch) and preference points and see the writing on the wall is WY is going to extract much more per year to apply and then much more for the license.

If you were patiently sitting on max elk, deer and pronghorn and decided to jump in to the actual draw then there are not enough primo tags for the max point holders. Several of them assumed they "earned" any tag in the draw by patiently buying points for over a decade but that is simply not true. A lot of max guys did not get their first choice.

If you had drawn elk, deer and pronghorn in the past decade and were again building up points but short of the max pool though were in the sheep and moose game then you realize 2018 may be a great time to plan an exit plan. Few of us could hunt multiple WY tags in a year so will take a while.

Between the max guys realizing they may need to drop down to just below the blue chip to draw in 2019 and the guys wanting to burn up points one or two tags per year, there will be point creep accelerating at the mid-tier units while the odds for max point applicants will get better though in many cases are only 20% or less for primo tags in 2018. Could take four years to burn off the Max elk/deer/pronghorn guys nervous about possible cost increases well beyond inflation and the chance quota gets lopped in half for non-residents.

Buckle up, is going to be bumpy for a few years then will settle down to be Colorado East where the primo tags are effectively once per lifetime if have regular luck. Elk units needing 40 points to draw in the preference bucket is just a matter of needing to burn off the Max pool and the next 5 point levels. See sheep and moose to see how worthless 10 points are for getting you into anything but the 25% random bucket for the next decade or two.

Point systems are not your friend. And certainly not your future kid's or future grandkid's friend.

If you read my statement again I was referring to the Kansas draw, which has not posted it's 2018 odds as of yet.

Yes., I read that you had a Kansas trip planned and since we are talking about Wyoming in this thread I assumed that your Kansas trip was screwed up because your Wyoming draw didn't happen that would have allowed the Kansas trip. Thanks for the clarification.

Good points have been made in here.

If you also look at the stats of how many people are coming into the points game in wyoming vs how many tags are going out then it's pretty clear to see that tags are going to be harder and harder to come by. I'm afraid that when my kids come of age to hunt, that any tag in a state based on bonus or preference points will be a once in a lifetime tag. it's simply not worth it. I myself have considered that it may be better to just pay for a guided or land owner tag. those to will increase as price as more people start taking that approach as well. In the end, hunting will truely become a rich mans sport. Our grand kids are unfortunately doomed!

Well thanks all for the feedback. Like I said ability for us to do it next year is uncertain at best. Part of me is torn with even playing this Antelope game and the accumulating points / hunt area access / where to apply considerations, etc deal any longer. Maybe get the points again next year if we can't commit to a hunt, and then figure how to burn the points in 2020 so we can all just go hunting (not worried about trophy's) and be done with it. See what next years brings and go from there.

In 2020 you will be able to apply for a unit that you can safely draw that will give you a great hunt. I wouldn't give up. After that, I'd understand if you didn't want to get back into the points game. I drew a Wyoming deer tag this year and I doubt I'll give them anymore money for deer points after this.

I had points in Wyoming for about the first three years. My daughter is coming of age to hunt and enjoys it. Went OTC last year in South Dakota for deer. Set up for this fall and was debating on buying her a point this year for a unit that was 100% for one point on a type two tag, or just put us both in on the random next year for the same tag, which was about 55% odds of drawing.

I have also considered landowner only hunts for antelope. The coat is more, but the bs is low to get one. Also have looked at a couple Indian reservation hunts as well.

One other interesting thing about 63-2 is that it was actually easier to draw in the regular draw than the special last year. It's possible that guys applying in the special last year saw that their extra license dollars were working against them and applied regular.

This was the case with the unit I applied to this year, and has happened before. Those units end up seesawing for a couple years and really can make it hard to decide which draw to go into for a given unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back