WY regs

Oak said:
BHR, I think you're right about not having a choice to buy the preference point if you apply for a licence. NHY, he's got to draw the tag first. Heck, one or both of them might be dead before that happens. Maybe Buzz will be pushing BHR's wheelchair up the mountain. ;)

Oak

Oak, I'm guessing Buzz would do just that if he gave his word. Can't wait for the field pics. :D

Miller, BHR might be the 'he' Tom was referring to...just a guess. Regs not confusing? Guess you're much smarter than most.

mtmiller said:
That is why I see it important to get in on the ground floor for some of these other tags if you plan to hunt some of the more popular units for the three new species that are now part of the point system.

Miller, you need to keep your good ideas to yourself.;)

I don't think it would be worth you jumping into the sheep point game at this point. There are 10,756 non-residents ahead of you right now. I'm sure many folks will drop out with the increased fees, but probably not enough to matter. I don't think it's worth it for me with three points, but I'll probably stick it out a year or two to see how the increased fee affects the numbers. Folks that don't apply for two consecutive years drop out, so the effects will be more clear in a couple of years. Here's the link to how many people have preference points:

http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/TotalPreferencePoints05.pdf

Miller, you need to keep your good ideas to yourself.
Ah hell, we are all friends here. :D

NHY- Not saying the regs aren't confusing, so don't paint me smart. :rolleyes: I'm just saying (funny line from the friends of Bob and Tom Show if anyone has seen it), I am certain everyone on this post knows you can't buy as many points as you want. Kinda silly if you think about it.

Just like some other discussions that are going well and then there is a post thet has no relvance with the current discussion. I should have not even mentioned it as most of the time it is just ignored and we move on. :D

I will try to remember that in the future. |oo

I read an article that the purchase of unlimited points was being considered earlier, and that you would loose them, if you didn't buy enough that year. I'm glad it didn't come out that way.

25% is for people with no points, 75% is for people with points, even 1, right? Heck, even if you pay the extra $200 to be in a better draw, it might be worse, the booklet says that. Those things change from year to year, depending on how people want to gamble with their money on getting some tags. Pretty wierd stuff, for me.

10,000+ people in front, whew. Now, people will be buying points for their kids each year, as soon as they are old enough to apply, if they are rich enough to do that. That doesn't sound to good. Good luck on that, if that is the approach?

Sounds like we're all on the same page with this one. I'm not a rich fellow, I scratch up the funds every year to put in for what I can in the western states, hoping for a bit of luck. And I just hope I can continue to afford to do so.
For the past couple years, I've been putting the little lady in for pp's hoping one day we would hunt together, but with the fees going up so much the past year, she no longer wants me to put her in. And God help the guys (and gals ;) ) out there with 3 kids trying to accumulate points for them!
And poor Moosie... the thought of the fees in the future for all his kids apps must keep him up at night! haha!

25% is for people with no points, 75% is for people with points, even 1, right? Heck, even if you pay the extra $200 to be in a better draw, it might be worse, the booklet says that. Those things change from year to year, depending on how people want to gamble with their money on getting some tags. Pretty wierd stuff, for me.

No Tom. I think you probably have the Info Booklet since you hunted Wy. Read page 6; column 1 under Preference Points for Elk, Deer and Antelope

Tom, My wife's grandfather sometimes beats me up in cribbage. If you are ever around, let me know, I could use a confidence builder. Do you play cribbage? If you haven't played, forget it because I don't have much patience.

Thanks for the guide offer Buzz. You'ld better hope I'd kill a sheep in a couple of days. After about 4 days of listening to you whine about Dubya, I'd be ready to feed you to the bears.

When I first started putting in for points in Wyoming a NR was I believe around $500. Now it's $1,913. Realistically with as many points as I have now, it will be 15 to 20 years before I draw. That's $1,500 to $2,000 in point fees and who knows what the tag will cost by then. I know sheep freaks are a mentally disterbed buch to begin with, but I think I may have to sit Wyoming out.

How many years do you have before you lose all your acumulated points in Wyoming if you don't continue to apply?

I read an article that the purchase of unlimited points was being considered earlier, and that you would loose them, if you didn't buy enough that year. I'm glad it didn't come out that way.

Tom you need to lay off the Dr. Seuss version of the Wyo. regs there buddy!
I'm not as smart as Miller but I don't even know when your asking a question or making a comment ;) ;)

I don't like the price increases for points, but I will pay them. I've only got one for sheep, but I'm going to stick with it for a while to see if people start bailing out or dying off. I wish I had been in on the front end of the sheep points like we get to be on elk/deer. I wouldn't be surprised to see WY eventually change the sheep draw to something similar to Colorados to give people with less than max points a chance (definitely lesser though) at the tags. I could be wrong, but I don't think any tags are hardly ever given out for the 25% draw.

If I never draw a sheep tag, at least the money is going to as good a cause as any.

Heck with it, I'm in. It's only money anyway and I'm hopelessly addicted. Sheep hunting should be reserved for the resident hunter and the wealthy anyways. Also by the time I draw, Buzz will have to listen to me whine about President Hillary. Should be a good hunt!

BHR,

Glad you're in, and you'll find that politics is about the absolute last thing you'll hear me whine about on a sheep hunt. I'm usually too busy spotting game to worry about foolishness like that.

I'm going through Bozeman tomorrow to pick up a nice frame and pack from Mystery Ranch packs. I checked them out on my way to Montana for Christmas, hefty price tag but worth it. By the time you draw, it should be broken in real well.

Good luck in the draw.

BHR, You better take him up on that offer and make him keep good on his word. I'm sure he will. He'd be a huge asset on anybody's hunt. The guy can look through blurry tasco 7X30 binos and spot game better than I can through Swarovskis. Buzz, if you are swinging through town, be sure to stop by my place and pick up the case of beer I owe you.

Cribbage? I don't play, we have year round hunting and fishing in this state. I'll read the regs. some more soon, the more points you have the better chances you have, I get that, but they don't really say how they will do the draws, do they?

Do they take all the people with the highest number of points and draw from them?

If not 75%, then they take the group of all the poeple with the max.-1 number of points and draw from them?

If not 75%, then take the max.-2 points people and draw? How do they actually do it?

Maybe they just draw from all the people with points and weight the probability of draw with the number of points you have? Like, 1 point people have their name in the hat once, 2 point people have their name in the hat twice, 3 point people 3 times, etc. then they randomly draw from the hat till they fill it? How do they actually do it?

They have to take into account the extra $200 also, for people who put in on that?

I'll go read it some more. My main problem is work, it keeps me from hunting more, plus, freezer space, that puts a limit on hunting.

Tom my main problem is hunting, it keeps me from working more...which would result in earning more, which would result in more hunting. ;)

Buy another freezer. :D

Greenhorn,

Thats pretty funny, the 7x30 tascos rock!

I promise, the next purchase I make will be upgrading my binoculars...I was kind of thinking of the 8x35 bushnells...what do you think??? I checked them out at Sportsmans warehouse in Missoula. They had a sale going on, $39.95...with a carrying case! I almost bought them right there.

By the way, Doug and I are both proud owners of new packs. I think you're right that there isnt better packs on the market.

My name is TOM, and Tom's my name,
I think I'm smart, Some say Insane.
I like hunting year in year out,
when I hunt No fear, no pout.

In Wyoming Apply I will,
I will, I will Apply I will.
I will apply inside my house,
I might online click click my mouse.

I think I'm smart, Some say Insane.

Cribage, Cribage I do not play,
All day, Dismay, Ok OK.

What does it cost to grow a elk?
An elk, a Shelk, an elk with Kelp ?
Year round hunting, we shoot with Feeders.
Year round hunting, we wear wife beaters.

Back to Wyoming, A hunting to go,
I'll take a shovel and hunt in snow !!
75 percent, 25 or less,
To confuse the masses, to obstruct the rest.
I'll post all day and do my best,
I'm really a teacher and not a pest.

Let them draw me from a pool they will.
oh a pool, I will drool, on a stool I like krill.
Account for a fee and I'll pay what it takes,
Unlike my friend Schmalts I will make no Mistakes.

When fill the app out, I'm from Texas you know,
If I head to the Mountains I might see some Snow.
Poo rhymes with goo which is under my Shoe,
I had the flu-poo which I'll make a good stew.

My name is big fame ala BOOM ala TAME !!

I would not Could not hunt in a box,
I could not would not hunt like a Fox,
I would not pay a Fee here nor there,
I live in Texas, not there anywere,
I do not eat Green eggs and Ham,
I post on HuntTalk, and Tom-I-am.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch