Wy Pronghorns

Gunner46

I've looked over the Wy pronghorn units and Units 11, 30, and 45 show some promise. Have any of you guys hunted any of these areas? Which would you think would be a better 1st choice? I'm curious as to what the terrain is like, weather conditions during the season, local attitudes toward NR's, and any cheap hotels within an hours drive. I'll be hunting the BLM and WIA areas.

Thanks in advance.

Just google any towns in those areas and you should find information that you need. Weather will be unpredictable so be prepared. Most residents are ok with NR hunters. Terrain can vary check BLM maps or online maps for terrain. For me part of the hunt is doing my own research and getting familiar with the areas I plan to hunt.

Last edited:
Do you have any points? I haven't hunted those units, but the ones I have hunted, the locals have been very NR friendly...even sharing hunting spots and local knowledge. As for motels and stuff, make your plans and reservations early. Sorry I couldn't be more help :D

The only info I have is on 45. There is very little accessible public ground. There are a couple of HMA's that get hit hard but people still seem to fill their tags. The South HMA is flat as a pancake and not easy to hunt with archery. Probably best place to get a hotel is in Laramie.

If I answer this I'm going to catch he##$ again.People are friendly, motels/hotels close in 45,but you'd have to hunt one of 2 HMAs.The HMA gets hit hard on the opener then its almost a ghost town with a few out of staters still running around.I'd go 2nd week and you'll be all alone.I would never waste a 1st round pick on 45.You should draw 2nd round and gain a point.A few years back I use to buy that tag as a left over.With the hunt pressure it gets, your not going to want to holdout for some giant buck.If I ever go back, it will be 2nd week of rifle.But, I've had a lot of fun hunts there.The 2nd week will allow you to have a better hunt and not deal with other hunters messing up stalks,or shooting off the roads.It can be a real circus the 1st day there.Tons of good 0 point units with more public land access.I know nothing about your other 2 units

If ur set on staying in a motel make sure u can get a room before u apply for a unit. The antelope unit I hunt has only 1 small town & the 2 motels are booked full for hunting season far in advance. They up the room rates too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back