Caribou Gear

Would Jeans Be Terrible for Mid-Season Elk Hunts?

Real hunters wouldn't be caught dead hunting in jeans...
siB12I3m.jpg
LXLAQKcm.jpg
13tGbWpm.jpg

ROLTJ3Em.jpg
jNGtpy1m.jpg
GIs2cU8m.jpg

ydyXjkom.jpg
y8eSTGrm.jpg
ceBtZYym.jpg

I killed 1 elk and around 40 deer this past season and I believe I had blue jeans or carharts on each hunt maybe coveralls if it was a little chilly. 2 of my best bucks were killed wearing pajamas. Lol

they have been worn elk hunting forever. Of corse there is better options but I try and wear only colors that I see in the area I’m hunting.

I prefer something other than cotton for any hunt because of morning dew or a burst of rain. I don't always wear camo, but just do not wear jeans unless I am 100% sure no rain or cold weather is gong to happen. those cheap costco hiking pants are pretty sweet. But I have had some not so great cheapo synth pants that sounded like a fat chick walking in spandex.... Yuk

For early season hunts I prefer jorts. But have no problem switching to jeans for mid season. Sorry the picture is not hunting but I don’t want to give away my spots.
1624903101684.jpeg

I grew up in the '50s and '60s camping with my family in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. Our camping gear was from either Montgomery Wards or Army-Navy Surplus stores. I always wore jeans then so when I started hunting in the mid '60s I just continued to wear jeans. I shot my first archery bull elk in 1973 wearing my Army jungle fatigues from Vietnam that I spray painted a camo pattern.

In the late '70s I bought a pair of some European army wool pants from a A-N surplus store for very cold weather elk and goat hunting.

Then about 10 years ago I finally succumbed to modern synthetics and bought a set of Cabela's Dry Plus rain jacket and pants, and a close-out sale of a Sitka lightweight jacket and pants. And yes, they have felt good on some of my foul weather hunts like these in New Zealand, Canada, and Azerbaijan...
Kwcm0tCl.jpg

UOGUl4Dl.jpg

fO9cakil.jpg

Synthetic pants and wool boxers. Doesn’t have to be hunting specific. It’s wonderful to dry out. Synthetic pants and synthetic boxers will result in some stank. Natural fibers seem better for odor, especially wool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back