Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Would Jeans Be Terrible for Mid-Season Elk Hunts?

People did it for years, but they had to be tough and put up with being wet and miserable. You'll still be hunting but if there's any precipitation involved it could get unpleasant quickly or dangerous if your not careful.

They are nice to have of course but untold thousands of big game have been taken by hunters wearing everything from jeans to bib overalls and lord knows what else. Don't not go because you can't afford to buy the top of the line gear.

The new moisture wicking and insulated clothes feel really good though!

There’s an old saying that “cotton kills” so really depends on where you’re at and what the weather conditions are looking like… I know Wally World sells something that I use that’s pretty cheap, for early to mid season, now it’s not camo but some good base colors.

It just depends on how tough you are!

ive hunted elk in jeans and sorels and suffered. I’ve also hunted in name brand hunting clothes/boots and suffered, although most of the , time far less suffering.

I’d say the second option is preferable though. You get a week a year to make it happen. No fault in stacking the deck in your favor. Much harder to say fugg it if your comfy, warm and safe.

Jeans suck if there is any precipitation at all, and on a mid-season elk hunt any moisture is going to be cold. As most have already stated, just about anything else is better. An excellent inexpensive option is M-1951 spec military surplus wool pants, I have several pairs that are ancient, I seldom wear them anymore but they are warm and extremely durable (you will loose some cool points for looks but the elk don’t care). You can probably find some online for 20-$30. FWIW, I wear Sitka Timberlines almost always anymore. Twice as comfortable as the old wool pants but over 10x the price.

Jeans suck if there is any precipitation at all, and on a mid-season elk hunt any moisture is going to be cold. As most have already stated, just about anything else is better. An excellent inexpensive option is M-1951 spec military surplus wool pants, I have several pairs that are ancient, I seldom wear them anymore but they are warm and extremely durable (you will loose some cool points for looks but the elk don’t care). You can probably find some online for 20-$30. FWIW, I wear Sitka Timberlines almost always anymore. Twice as comfortable as the old wool pants but over 10x the price.
Those m1951 pants are hideous. If I was an elk I'd care. Nature is beautiful until someone enters it in those things. 😆

Someone said "cotton kills" - well I'm touchin' cotton right now so I say eff it and try the jeans but only if they're skinny jeans. Then you can drink fancy coffee and feel ok about it. Plus they're gonna hug the boys and keep you warm down there.

I'd try finding an army surplus store or something and locate a pair of wool pants or hit the classifieds here and find a deal on something. There's always camofire but don't do that if you're buzzed b/c buzzed shopping is drunk shopping.

Maybe post your pant size and someone will offer you something at a discount.

Not if you're a real man... somewhere in the late 90s/ early 2000's it seems like jeans all of a sudden disappeared. I think that was about the same time that things like Gore-Tex and polypropylene base layers were becoming popular. Fact is, denim sucks. Wear what you want, it's not a fashion show though we seem to make it one.

I personally want to be as comfortable as possible when hunting especially in weather. Look at the wrangler comfort hiking pants or Prana Zion pants for some good inexpensive pants.

Cotton is bad for all the reasons mentioned above. Denim is especially bad — it’s hot in the summer, freezing in the winter, and worse than useless when wet. Not to mention that blue is the worst possible color to wear when hunting deer or similar animals. There are many better alternatives, and they don’t have to be expensive.

My first elk hunt I wore a pair of green pants from old navy I think. I got them used from goodwill. A walmart mossy oak drifit shirt and a cheap puffy I got on clearance. Id shy away from blue jeans bc they're heavy and suck in the rain.

new mexico.jpg

Back