Caribou Gear Tarp

Who ya taking home?

Which one?

• Total voters
Am I the only one that has a hard time shooting cow elk? They taste great, and I've shot a few, but it's still way harder to pull the trigger than on a wt buck...

in what way? like, hesitant to kill it?

Yeah, like it just don't like to kill cows. Esp over either wt or MD bucks.
My wife's favorite animal is a calf elk. She's ruthless...I prefer to shoot something with antlers or a cow calf combo. Something about shooting one and leaving the other is kind of tough. I usually will shoot the calf if I have to pick one, that or a dried up old cow. I prefer elk all day, every day over deer.

My wife's favorite animal is a calf elk. She's ruthless...I prefer to shoot something with antlers or a cow calf combo. Something about shooting one and leaving the other is kind of tough. I usually will shoot the calf if I have to pick one, that or a dried up old cow. I prefer elk all day, every day over deer.
I’ve shot 2 calf elk in my 49 years of hunting. Hands down the best meat of all the critters I’ve taken.

Yeah, like it just don't like to kill cows. Esp over either wt or MD bucks.
depends on the area for me, hard no on shooting cows where the elk aren't over population objective by quite a bit, even if everyone is doing it I've seen localy what way too much late season cow harvest can do to the herd, we are still not recovered from tons of December cow hunting that stopped close to ten years ago...

if I was in WY where they are giving away cow tags like candy I'd have a different opinion... but still prefer shooting bucks of either variety.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back