Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Young Warrior - A Brief 4th Rifle Deer Hunt

I keep on eye on were he dropped for 5 or so minutes. There is no way he could leave that spot without me seeing him so I just sat there to watch and be sure.

Another deer that was still not sure where to go from all the commotion ran up that way too and I suspect it walked right over it's dead buddy, then continued up the hillside to disappear.

I checked my rifle to make sure it was empty, got my gloves on, looked around to make sure I wasn't missing anything I dropped and dropped to down to hike up to him.

It doesn't matter what i'm hunting, whether male or female, big buck or little buck, I'm always so happy to walk up on them feel the finality of it.

IMG-4980.jpgIMG-4981.JPG

I'm not proud of that shooting. It happens and it always will occasionally. But I shouldn't accept it as an occasional inevitability. I should always seek to be better, even when, often, my shooting is pretty good.

As to why he dropped like Zeus spited him with a lightning bolt? It was a head shot, right at the base of the skull where it connects with the spine. Half his brain gone.

No, I'm still not proud of it. I'm not gonna hide it. This is the reality of how things go wrong and you don't do things right. I have to own up to it. But, in this case, better to be lucky than good.

I've developed a back story for this deer.

The Young Warrior. Known amongst his circles as The Dominator. Commanding his fine harem of does in his valley.

The Dominator fought for his harem and conquered those that stood before him in defiance. The Old Warriors of Montana have heard of deer like The Young Warrior, but never believed them to be real.

As the legends go, wherever the are few big bucks, there is always a Young Warrior. The true adversary to be bested by both Hunter and Old Warrior alike. Many go before him but few return.

The last Old Warrior to stand in defiance fell to the ground with the Young Warriors right antler broken off between his ribs as the blood flowed out of his gashed heart.

But, in the Warrior's Valley, he finally met his match.

IMG-4985.jpg

field to freezer in less than 48 hours. the most intriguing and confusing thing about this whole story is the Broncos performance.

did you know that spike elk euros kinda look like ants under a microscope? i sure didn't.

IMG-5036.jpg

my season is now fully and officially over and i'm chalking it up to a good one. more meat, more fun, and new experiences.

pity, my buddy drove past an area I planned to look for elk on this tag on saturday to go get a christmas tree with his wife and baby. lo and behold someone was pulling an elk out of there. I coulda gone back. But i've already overplayed my hand on leaving my wife to solo parent this fall. I was content with being done.

Who's ready to apply for wyoming elk in hardly a month?!

Congrats on the warrior troll freak nasty 2 by zero buck on the decline. I suggest for you to throw in for the Bridger mtns MT muley hunt next year for a follow-up mule deer hunt. Odds are long, but it's an epic place to fulfill dreams and freezers to those lucky few who draw the permit.

Last edited:
I suggest for you to throw in for the Bridger mtns MT muley hunt next year for a follow-up mule deer hunt. Odds are long, but it's an epic place to fulfill dreams and freezers to those few who draw the permit.

nah. I’d rather keep hunting returned colorado tags where we happily shoot forky trolls simply because they’re the first deer we see and not because they’re the only deer we’ll see 😉

You’re on a streak of killing those 1 antlered bucks! Congrats

i honestly thought it was pretty cool to walk up and see that right after what i shot last year.

i was thinking i might just mount it right above him too - the hall of warriors it will be called. too bad we'll never get to see their cage match.

IMG-5023.jpg

shooting the first deer you see is like a box of chocolates... you just never know what you're gonna get.

yes, my wife put some ornaments on him. tis the season.

field to freezer in less than 48 hours. the most intriguing and confusing thing about this whole story is the Broncos performance.

did you know that spike elk euros kinda look like ants under a microscope? i sure didn't.

View attachment 303578

my season is now fully and officially over and i'm chalking it up to a good one. more meat, more fun, and new experiences.

pity, my buddy drove past an area I planned to look for elk on this tag on saturday to go get a christmas tree with his wife and baby. lo and behold someone was pulling an elk out of there. I coulda gone back. But i've already overplayed my hand on leaving my wife to solo parent this fall. I was content with being done.

Who's ready to apply for wyoming elk in hardly a month?!
Get out of here, that’s your garage?! Mine looked like that first year we moved here and has gotten progressively shittier.

Get out of here, that’s your garage?! Mine looked like that first year we moved here and has gotten progressively shittier.

Oh it looked like this for a long time, actually this was after improvements - insulated all the non code walls.

IMG_1755.jpeg

We def try to keep it tidy

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back