Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Who needs a range finder!

I figured there'd be some "discussion" on this subject.

The road in question was behind a locked gate, and we had observed the area for several minutes and were certain there were no more hikers in the area. The angle was so great there was no fear of ricochet and the bullet was found at the bottom of the crater it created.

My only point in this whole thing was that as long as a person knows their limitations and sticks to them they can get along quite nicely without a lot of extra help. I know that 400 yards is close to my limit and without the help of a compensator scope and a range finder and I'd be irresponsible in taking a shot beyond that. I know my .280 drops close to 4 ft. at 500 yards and I'd be a bad guy to attempt a shot at a deer or elk with that rifle at over 400 assuming the trajectory is similar to the 6.5. I also know that on real flat ground range estimation can be a real guessing game. So, again, "a man's gotta know his limitations" (not my quote for you Clint Eastwood fans). I have a personal limitation in that I am deaf in my right ear and though I hear just fine with the left one I can't tell what direction sound is coming from and can only hunt by sight, which prevents me from archery hunting elk without someone along to tell me what direction the game is coming in from.

Yes, the 6.5 x 55 is a real barn burner, especially when hand loaded. There seems to be something magical about that caliber. The 6.5 x 284 is a popular wildcat, but, like the .257 Bob/.25-06 match-up I have to ask how much is enough. I hand loaded my .257 and pushed a 115 gr NP at over 3000 fps and it made for a lot of blood-shot meat, left 2-inch exit holes, and it seems the 6.5 x 55 does the same thing. For long range the 6.5 x 284 has to be deadly, but up close pretty messy.

I asked my son what he thought the distance was, and after some thought he came up with 400 yards. I thought that was a good guess.

I know that 400 yards is close to my limit and without the help of a compensator scope and a range finder and I'd be irresponsible in taking a shot beyond that.

Do you know what 400 yards looks like in the field? Not sure I do every time, thankfully I have a rangefinder to assist.

Don't use a ranging device. I like to go light, very small survival kit, with a light mountain rifle, 260AI, when hunting big game. For practice I use varying rifles to do so. I am OK, not great mind you, at range estimation. I don't subscribe to all the latest, greatest gimmicks. The one thing that will tutor a person in regards to range estimation is shooting varmints at all distances. I have done this extensively. Shoot up hill, down hill, in the wind, rain, snow and sun on rock chucks, 'yotes, PD's, gophers and etc. Leave the lazer rangers at home. Get more trigger time in real weather rather than depending on gimmicks. MTG

Last edited:
I got my first range finder last year and realized I was about 75 percent accurate without it at judging range. The other 25 percent is why I'm glad I got it. I do have a little problem with these new range finding scopes that calculate everything and you just put the dot on the kill zone.

In the last 2 years I've probably shot a dozen animals and only two of them required a rangefinder. Without the rangefinder I might have got them - but I'm sure glad I had it. Guessing distances in some places might be trickier than a hitting mud-puddle somewhere else.
60899_1439204859100_1202394403_31040025_1232516_n.jpg

7131_1148637715103_1202394403_30369579_2129114_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have never shot any big game animal over 200 yards(I know, I need to get out more). I really had no clue as what 400 yards "looked" like until I got a rangefinder and started playing with it. I am now convinced a lot of people are totally FOS when it comes to their shooting skills, and all these kills they have at 400+ yards. Sorry, but I don't believe you can judge those distances and know whether you are close without a range finder, esp, when its across a drainage, or out on the flats with some topography in between. And, I like how people keep throwing out the word "close". Seriously? Why is that OK for rifle hunters to pitch that out there, then crack on an archer that breaks his bow out a week before season to see if its still "close enough".

While you are out there guessing your holdover because you thought you were close on your yardage, make sure you gather up your nuts to go take a good look to see if you wounded the bull or buck you just blasted that didn't drop in its tracks, even if it takes you the next 2 hours of hiking down and across the basin you just shot across.

WTH is wrong with knowing for sure.

antelope2010018.jpg

Glad I had the right gear along on this day. It would have been a little tough to guess 964 yards.

BTW, I've shot many 5" groups at 1000 yards with this setup. I knew this buck was dead before I pulled the trigger. There's nothing wrong with "high tech gear", if you spend the time learning how it works and applying it when needed.

. Get more trigger time in real weather rather than depending on gimmicks. MTG

Not sure that you can classify a rangefinder as a "gimmick"

Are them plastic stocks and telescopic-sights dad-gummed gimmicks too?

Seriously though, as hard as I work for critters, I'm not going to chance missing one because I didn't bring my gimmick along. If I went out and hunted dinker forkies and basket bucks, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. I seem to see truely BIG mule deer maybe once in a couple seasons...why blow a shot because wanted to be too manly to carry a gimmick?

I will agree that shooting practice is very important, but you'll never be more accurate at estimating distance than the rangefinder...

A good Minute of Mud Puddle rifle is under valued.

Good one!! After hunting the brush in Northern California it's not that it wouldn't come in handy but most of the time when you see a buck in the timber it's hard to use a tool of this nature. The longest shot I can remember taking on a blacktail is 120 yards, and it was in a clear cut. But I never shot a mud puddle at 400 yards either!:rolleyes:

This could turn into one of those "ol bessie will shoot 1/4 of a puddle groups all day long as long as I do my part" threads.

For most of the guys on here who especially hunt Antelope, Mule deer and Elk a range finder is a must. If your going to bust your azz for mile after mile day after day, why wouldn't you carry one? The country we hunt it is not always possible to get within a certain yardage, no matter how much you would like to, period.
Not saying this makes guys accurate though, I practice more at long ranges than short throughout the summer. With the time and expense I put into hunting every year, I'm not going to be caught without it.

There's nothing wrong with "high tech gear", if you spend the time learning how it works and applying it when needed.
Sums up the issue for me, especially the second 1/2 (or was that 2/3rds ;) ) of the statement.

Range finder for sure! Never leave home without it. I will admit, I have become way too dependent on them. I have let many critters walk because I could not get a good range on them before they got away. I try to range anything over 200 yards while gun hunting and over 25 yards with a bow. Have to credit most of my successfully kills to a range finder. Have owned several and have had one ever since they first came out. This pic is from many years ago.

Shot this bull and dropped it dead with one shot at 690 yards with a 300 RUM. Of course with the aid of a range finder.:)

Attachments

• Marks elk 06 005 (882 x 730).jpg
    Marks elk 06 005 (882 x 730).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
belly-deep, I will admit to having rifles with synthetic stocks as I am sure most do. These do include scopes with varying magnification. Altho', I have spent many an hour honing my skills in their use. Also, I believe in getting close. Not always as I prefer. But as close as possible. Have spent a lot of time stalking, crawling, getting prickly pear stuck in various body parts. This I pride myself on. I do this year round on legal game and non game animals. Practice your hunting skills, shooting skills and enjoy the sport even more. I do have an old Bushnell ranging device that is possibly the entry level ones. It is in the original box. It has not been used since the early 90's. I am sure it works as advertised. I prefer to use my skills in lieu of modern technology. I am old school and have enjoyed the journey. I have taken some good trophy animals. Perhaps not as good as many as others. To me they are trophies. They ate well and their mounts continue to make me smile. These I took with what I have learned over the yrs. To those who use laser rangers I say go for it. Not a big deal. I like to hunt 'em hard and will continue to do so into my late yrs. now. As long as my body allows. MTG

Rangefinders, Gore-tex, Thinsulate, etc. All high tech innovations made possible by modern science and available to us to use. To not use them is like leaving your rifle at home and taking a spear.

I started hunting in the days before compound bows, most bowhunters had recurves with no sights. I saw a lot of hunters wound deer and never find them. Now with compounds I rarely see anyone lose a deer. I think a quick, humane kill is the most important thing. If someone needs a rangefinder to accomplish this, I am all for it. Everyone has different levels of ability and they should know their personal limits and stay within them.

Vectronix...start saving your pennies.

Other than that the new Leica 1600. The new G7 rangefinder is supposed to be pretty sweet, but it has more programs, internal balistics, etc. than I would ever want.

Back