Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Who needs a range finder!

huntRme

Went for a walk in the woods this afternoon with my son. I was packing his sporterized 6.5 x 55 because I just don't like to be in the woods unprepared and my own rifle needs to be sighted in before it goes for a walk.

One of my gripes about all those "other" hunting shows on TV is the dependence on gadgets to make a hunt "successful". "You betcha I couldn't have done it without my Acme ammo warmer, Volt electric socks, this here bag o' C'mere Deer, and my Whamo range finder." Part of being an OYO guy is being able to get along with only ones skill and a few bare necessities.

At one point we came to a place where we could look down the mountain and could see the road bed we had hiked up earlier in the afternoon. I asked my son what he thought the distance was, and after some thought he came up with 400 yards. I thought that was a good guess. A long shot for a brush hunter like me is 100 yards. When sighted in properly any modern rifle will kill a deer out to 275 yards by just holding on the middle of the chest...no range finder needed. Beyond that you just hold a little high, until, of course the distance is beyond your ability. I always figured I could make a good shot out to around 400 yards so I took off my shirt and wadded it up and put it on top of a stump for a rest and found a puddle of water about the size of a baseball in the scope. The angle was about 30 degrees and there was no wind. I figured to kill a deer at that range I'd have to hold about 3 inches over its back and calculated that would be about a foot over that little puddle. It took a long time for the bullet to cover the distance and much longer for the "whack" of the impact on the hard gravel road to come back to our ears, but when I put the scope back on the target there was nothing but a softball-sized crater where the puddle had been. I didn't expect to pull off a perfect shot, but I do expect to be able to put a killing shot into a deer/elk/whatever at a distance beyond what I normally do/expect without any practice. I expect you all could do the same thing (especially you pronghorn hunters), but I had never tried this before so its nice to know that its doable. I find it really entertaining, the long shots people are making these days with their "sniper" scopes and rangefinders, but for the practical guy its more a novelty than what most of us experience during a normal hunt. Beyond my ability to hit something I probably couldn't count the points on a blacktail buck anyway, so a rangefinder is just a gadget I have no use for and my money better spent on a hunting trip or something.

Good for you.

I know a rangefinder has made me a better shot. For one thing, I don't have to "guess" at holdover any more and chance blowing a leg off. Also, I can lazer an animal, and know that the distance is/is not a shot I have practiced before, and so I can easily turn down a bad shot or have the confidence boost to make a good one.

Went for a walk in the woods this afternoon with my son. I was packing his sporterized 6.5 x 55 because I just don't like to be in the woods unprepared and my own rifle needs to be sighted in before it goes for a walk.

One of my gripes about all those "other" hunting shows on TV is the dependence on gadgets to make a hunt "successful". "You betcha I couldn't have done it without my Acme ammo warmer, Volt electric socks, this here bag o' C'mere Deer, and my Whamo range finder." Part of being an OYO guy is being able to get along with only ones skill and a few bare necessities.

At one point we came to a place where we could look down the mountain and could see the road bed we had hiked up earlier in the afternoon. I asked my son what he thought the distance was, and after some thought he came up with 400 yards. I thought that was a good guess. A long shot for a brush hunter like me is 100 yards. When sighted in properly any modern rifle will kill a deer out to 275 yards by just holding on the middle of the chest...no range finder needed. Beyond that you just hold a little high, until, of course the distance is beyond your ability. I always figured I could make a good shot out to around 400 yards so I took off my shirt and wadded it up and put it on top of a stump for a rest and found a puddle of water about the size of a baseball in the scope. The angle was about 30 degrees and there was no wind. I figured to kill a deer at that range I'd have to hold about 3 inches over its back and calculated that would be about a foot over that little puddle. It took a long time for the bullet to cover the distance and much longer for the "whack" of the impact on the hard gravel road to come back to our ears, but when I put the scope back on the target there was nothing but a softball-sized crater where the puddle had been. I didn't expect to pull off a perfect shot, but I do expect to be able to put a killing shot into a deer/elk/whatever at a distance beyond what I normally do/expect without any practice. I expect you all could do the same thing (especially you pronghorn hunters), but I had never tried this before so its nice to know that its doable. I find it really entertaining, the long shots people are making these days with their "sniper" scopes and rangefinders, but for the practical guy its more a novelty than what most of us experience during a normal hunt. Beyond my ability to hit something I probably couldn't count the points on a blacktail buck anyway, so a rangefinder is just a gadget I have no use for and my money better spent on a hunting trip or something.

OK?:rolleyes:

Maybe you should build your own longbow and build your own arrows and do it the "Barta Way!"

If something happened to mine, I'd go out right away and purchase another.

Every animal I took home last season got ranged, and compensated for, vs my PBR zero.

I like my rangefinder because I'm terrible at estimating distances. That said, it's important to sight in and know your "maximum point blank range". That is the distance that a properly aimed bullet will hit within a 4" radius of the aiming point, up or down, if it is 4" high at the peak of its trajectory. A larger circle may be used on larger game. There is lots of information about this on the web especially at chuckhawks.com and randywakeman.com. I mainly use the rangefinder on prairie dogs.

If something happened to mine, I'd go out right away and purchase another.

Every animal I took home last season got ranged, and compensated for, vs my PBR zero.

I agree, if you are hunting open country the actual range can be very deceptive. 300 yards can look closer or further than you think if you do not have a rangefinder. This could result in a missed shot or worse a wounded animal. If it is all a guess and you are holding so many inches over then not a good shot in my opinion.

A rangefinder is essential in my gear.

Since I got blown up in Iraq aand suffered brain damage, I don't trust my depth perception at all. I totally rely on my range finder, especially hunting in the plains where range is deceptive anyway, but more especially with my bow

So let me understand this... You shot at a puddle in a road/trail just to see if you could hit it?

Anyone else see a problem with this?

On top of smoking that puddle i the road anybody who uses a "wham O" rangfinder is really not an OYOA hunter and the money would be better spent on something else.

I think that is the general idea of the post. Not sure what the purpose of the post it.

Wasn't there a quote from Lincoln- Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open you rmouth and remove all doubt.

I believe all doubt has been removed from this post.

Never leave home without my rangefinder;esp. when bowhunting.No sense at all in making a bad shot.

Butter and extra salt for me there John.:)

I got along for years without a rangefinder. Didn't think it was essential. Now having gotten one, I use it all the time and try to never hunt without one. Why not use the best tools availible to help make a clean kill?

The puddle in the road is a different story.... Sounds like a ricochet to me.

I was wondering what the shirtless guy shooting at the road was doing:D

That is great if you can make that shot without a range finder, but I don't think using a range finder to help make an ethical kill makes you any less of an OYO hunter.

Since I got blown up in Iraq aand suffered brain damage, I don't trust my depth perception at all. I totally rely on my range finder, especially hunting in the plains where range is deceptive anyway, but more especially with my bow
Thankyou for serving.

Butter and extra salt for me there John.:)

I got along for years without a rangefinder. Didn't think it was essential. Now having gotten one, I use it all the time and try to never hunt without one. Why not use the best tools availible to help make a clean kill?

The puddle in the road is a different story.... Sounds like a ricochet to me.

What GM said.

Shot 4 elk the last 2 years. Absolutley needed the range finder on 2, no shot without it. Other 2 were under 100 yds. "Better to have and not need than need and not have."

Shooting puddles on "hard gravel" roads is a little scary.:eek:

All that aside, I shot a 6.5 today. That is one crazy looking cartridge. More bang than I expected as well.

Dink,
6.5 is a great cartridge, with bullets available that have over a .6 BC it can be excellent at long ranges. I shoot a 6.5-.284. It hold about 10 more grains of powder than the 6.5 x 55. It's extra deadly for puddle jumping on roads.

Last edited:
I really like my 6.5x55s, accurate, enough gun for deer at reasonable ranges, good bullets,not too much recoil. I'm glad ya'll talked me out of trading one in. Still looking for the right 257 bob, but I'll know it when I find it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back