Who needs a range finder!

I am a firm beleiver in my range finder I would never want to take a chance wounding an animal because I didn't know the range and held to low. And when hunting antelope on the plains for the first time I found out how hard it is to judge range when you arent in your familiar settings that is y i always have mine with.
Glad to see I am not in the minority on this one either

Bought into the a few of these so called "gadgets" like rangefinder and turrets about 5 years ago and wouldn't think of going afield withou them now. While I'm a very capable shot at long range and generally shoot cartridges that excel at long range it's all about ethical decisions for me. Why guesstimate ranges? Why try to guess what 24" above an animals back is? These are tools that allow me to make better decisions about how much closer I need to get or how many clicks to make in order to give myself the best chance to harvest and retrieve game painlessy and quickly.

I would venture to say that 400yds is beyond the average hunters ability with or without a rangefinder. Shooting regularly at long range (not depending on published ballistics) has taught me that there are other things that affect the bullet like wind drift that mean I need to know that distance for more than just drop. Whatever my limit is, I need to know everything I can possibly know beyond 150yds to make the most ethical shot I possibly can. Not that i did bad before but haven't lost an animal or had to do much tracking since investing in gadgets.

Way to play it smart. I've never seen anyone on the other side of a locked gate.;)

Vector21005.jpg

Vector 21

Tell us about the rifle though Pat? What caliber? What action? What Barrel? Stock?

I carry my rangefinder all the time. This year I ranged a deer with it and missed! (very bad rest/shooting position)...then I put a sneak on and got to about 50 yards and didn't break out the rangefinder. My bull was 84 yards, I ranged him.... after the shot! ;0)

I will always carry it....

So, the only retail price I could find on that range finder is $21,500.... is that for real?

That is bad ass, ranges to about 7 miles, the next model up goes to 14 miles....

It's a GA Precision built .260 Remington
Templar action
Mcmillan A5 stock Schneider 1-8" GAP contour, 26" barrel
Badger M5 detachable mag system
Jewell trigger
Badger recoil lug
Cerro coated in milspec OD
Badger 34mm rings
Hensoldt 4-16X56 FF Mildot reticle

Holy chit on those binos BR has...only umpteen thousand for a pair. Wow! Then again, if I had BR's killing skills and could snipe animals from several miles away, I'd need one too. :D

I NEVER use range finders... WAY too modern.

I like to start a small fire. Fire is natural in the woods and usually doesn't scare off the animals. Not sure about mud puddles. I have an Indian friend that can lick his finger and tell you the wind speed. I'm not as good as him but I often lick my finger when hunting and take a guess so I'm pretty close. Once the fire is at least 6" high flame. You let a fart lose on it. This will make about a 8" round billowing smoke cloud. At 11MPH the smoke cloud takes 348 yards to dissipate. I have a chart memorized if anyone needs it. I figure at 11 MPH if I can't see the smoke cloud anymore the animal is too far to shoot.

I know it's not what some of you do but I can't be the only one using this proven method.... can I ?!?!

Also, if I get lost, I try to remember what rocks I saw on the way in..... It's another tool I use instead of a GPS !!!

Please save water and drink your own pee.............

That is so irresponsible Moosie.... I cant believe you would use such an inaccurate, unproven method to judge distance to a majestic creation of god, then just let bullets fly willy nilly hoping you hit him.... If I was your friend on Face Book, I wont be soon....

Good to see some Moosie humor again. But, seriously who in the H would lick one of their fingers after you have been hunting 3-4 days? Really, even if you are a neat nut?
Just saying, my fingers don't go near my mouth........

Started out in the 40's with a peep sited rifle and 3 shells, haven't progressed to the distance measuring thing yet.
P.S. I still have the three shells.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back