PEAX Equipment

Who has done a diy mountain goat hunt in the lower 48?

Ben Nicholson

I was lucky enough to win the Oregon statewide goat raffle tag. I've talked to a couple folks here on HT from OR and they've been very helpful. But my question is to any of you who have done a diy goat hunt, do you think it's doable for someone from out of state? If you were to do it again would you still go diy or would you hire a guide? I could get out there this summer for some scouting. I hunt out west at least once a year so I have some experience mountain hunting, but zero experience with goats.

Thanks,
Ben

Very doable. Did it in 2021 at 58 years old with a friend and my daughter. Make sure you get your doctor to give you a prescription for altitude sickness. Shot mine at over 12,000 feet in elevation. With the medication I had no altitude sickness. Even with medication my daughter started feeling crappy around 10,500 and had to stay below that. My friend never told me until we finished packing my goat off the mountain in the dark. But he started getting sick on out stalk up to my goat.

Thanks guys. Yes I can get out there for a little bit this summer. Currently my biggest concern (right or wrong) is on judging goats. Any advise/tips on this?

Lots of people do it every year, why not you?
I would reach out to the Oregon WSF guys and I bet you get a lot of really good advice.
Also, if you could make it out to the sheep and goat orientation meeting in the Dalles I think you could make some good contacts.

Lots of people do it every year, why not you?
I would reach out to the Oregon WSF guys and I bet you get a lot of really good advice.
Also, if you could make it out to the sheep and goat orientation meeting in the Dalles I think you could make some good contacts.
I'll be at the orientation meeting for sure. Thanks!

For the past 48 years, all of my Montana hunts (except Buffalo) have been DIY. I shot this goat in mid November, 1978. It was -5* F and knee deep snow when I started up the mountain after him. I started scouting for him in August and September of that year, but I intentionally left my tag at home so I wouldn't be tempted to shoot one before he grew his winter hair.

I completely skinned him out up on the mountain and my taxidermist tried his best to have him full mounted, but back then I didn't have the room for a full mount, so I just had a half mount. I've regretted that decision ever since, and have unsuccessfully applied for another tag every year since. He had 9 5/8" horns and a long, thick winter coat.

k9AypEpl.jpg

qJ1fPMal.jpg

Very doable if you are just looking to shoot a representative billy for sure.

I did it DIY in Wyoming in 2014 and posted a live hunt type thread on it here.

I enjoyed doing it on my own. It takes a little time to get used to spotting them but after a while it gets easier.

If you are set on shooting the biggest one in the state you would probably need to hire someone.

I think a decent majority of people do, I know I had zero issue, they're not the brightest creature, it's more about harvesting in an area you can safely recover them.

If you are a capable backpack hunter, are in mountain shape and can scout, they answer is yes.

For the past 48 years, all of my Montana hunts (except Buffalo) have been DIY. I shot this goat in mid November, 1978. It was -5* F and knee deep snow when I started up the mountain after him. I started scouting for him in August and September of that year, but I intentionally left my tag at home so I wouldn't be tempted to shoot one before he grew his winter hair.

I completely skinned him out up on the mountain and my taxidermist tried his best to have him full mounted, but back then I didn't have the room for a full mount, so I just had a half mount. I've regretted that decision ever since, and have unsuccessfully applied for another tag every year since. He had 9 5/8" horns and a long, thick winter coat.

k9AypEpl.jpg

qJ1fPMal.jpg
Figuring out a mount is definitely something I need to do. Not sure if I have the space for a full body.

You can do it DIY. As noted above, just depends if you are fixated on a giant billy or not to determine if need professional assistance.

Have done two in Colo that were day hunt access to goats, not packed in, no problem.

Last edited:
I would say wait as long as possible on that tag. The hair is so cool when it gets long. Ask @SwaggyD … he wanted to hunt early on his Colorado state wide tag and I kept convincing him to push back his trip. I would say it paid off.

36A9C80A-E2A0-4180-A340-B35C2DFA59FB.jpeg
I didn’t have space for a full mount so I made the best of the area I had.

And no, I did not leave the rest of the hide on the mountain. Gift for my hunting partner and a little safe decor.
E3B53769-E54E-47A7-9866-93BA0AB0E4D3.jpeg

Goats hunts are definitely doable DIY with a partner or two.

I would not recommend going solo. Goats inhabit some of the most difficult terrain on the mountain and getting one out solo could be very dangerous.

Also having a friend or two (especially if they have any experience judging goats) is very helpful when discussing what you are looking at.

I totally agree with GM about not going solo. Goat country is often dangerous so you could get in a real pickle if someone is not with you.
My opinion about hair is different than some. I've seen lots of really nice looking September goats and I would choose to go earlier than later if it were my tag. You are much less likely to battle brutal weather if you go a little earlier and it's much easier to find them before it snows.
Last year my nephew had a tag and he had some good goats patterned but he decided to wait for longer hair. A few weeks later they were nowhere to be found due to hunting pressure. He ended up getting his goat in November but it ended up being really hard and his goat wasn't nearly as big as the ones he was chasing early.
No doubt judging a good billy is not easy. It's best to look at as many as you can. I'd watch every youtube goat hunt you can, look at mounts, etc.
Ultimately it should be a great adventure and I'm excited for you. I like your DIY moxie, but take a friend!

For reference, this is my son's 10 5/8" BC goat he shot on September 23rd.

Attachments

• _DSC7496.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back