Which state MT or AK

Montana or Alaska

• Montana: Deer, Elk, Antelope, decent fishing, lots of outdoor activites

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Alaska: Deer, Moose, Grizz, Sheep, Goat, fantastic fishing, but long winter

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Bambistew i think maybe it matters if you are moving back to the area in montana where you grew up. Id been around other parts of Montana and just recently moved back to hamilton. it bothers me alot to see every last peace of open space developed for out of state mcmansions when i grew up hunting deer and elk here. However when i go to choteau, livingston, dillon heck even bozeman i really like it there. At work a guy who grew up on a ranch out of big timber wont even go back over there, he hates to see it "spoiled". He actually loves the bitterfroot.

I guess what i am saying when it comes to moving back to montana, if you are going back to live in an area of montana that you saw before it was "ruined" it might make it hard to appreciate the good parts of it.

That probably didnt make much sense, i cant write worth chit.

I recently moved up here to AK so I'll throw my two cents in.

I would go to montana. Hands down. No doubt in my mind.

I say this because like Miller said you almost have to have a boat and a plane in AK. Or know someone with one. Even then you would have to kiss their ass. Now don't get me wrong, I know its possible to get a sheep, moose etc without one. I've met some people that have. But very few. I intend while I'm up here to try. Thats about all you can do. But be prepared to be trying to out hike planes instead of other hunters. Nothing like seeing the sky filled with airplanes the weeks leading up to opening day. Or seeing the Alaska ATV (the argo) being pulled behind every 5th or 6th truck you see on the highway.

What I've found "hard" about Alaska might not be what most people would think of when talking about moving to AK. I heard a lot of people talk about the winter being bad, lack of daylight etc. But none of that has bothered me much.

For alaska being the largest state it is the most crowded too. What makes this happen is the access issues. There are only a limited amount of spots you can hunt/fish without being flown etc etc. So everyone gets bunched up. You want to see people, try to go fishing during the summer time. Now I hear for 300 dollars you can get flown in to a couple spots and catch some big rainbows. But even back there now I guess its getting crowded.

I also miss being able to just go outside town and sight in my gun. This might be more of an anchorage problem than an alaska issue though. Now I have to go during a set time to go shoot my gun. And if I don't want to do that I have to drive a long ass ways to go shoot.

My "winter sports" has pretty much ended now. I used to love going out chasing coyotes, looking at deer and elk, rabbit hunting etc. Thats all pretty much stopped up here. Theres not many places you can park the truck and not run into snowmachines. They are everywhere and all they leave behind is their tracks and their trash, espically bud light cans. But for the record we did see ONE coyote this winter:rolleyes:

Also wyoming and montana have no devils club. If you do not know what devils club is this should be your deciding factor to go with montana. Devils club is no bueno.

Now what I like about Alaska so far is....well.....lets see. I enjoy seeing different wildlife, even if its just looking at them. It never gets old looking at dall sheep, mountain goats, bears, 'bou, and even moose. I'm excited when we finally find some country to explore. You can climb to the top of the mountains and look out and see nothing but more mountains. I like all the daylight during the summer time. Nothing like hiking at 1 am and its still light out.

I'm sure theres a lot more I like about AK but I just don't know it. It seems like you never really know what you love about a place until you leave it. Its the little things that you miss.

Lots of good points.

I know what devils club is, along with all the briars, thick azz woods etc we have here.

I've lived on the East Coast for 8 years... I more about the lack opportunity over crowding and than most people on this site have or will ever experience. I'm not buying that AK is crowded, while I understand what you're saying about lack of roads and access, I've seen crowded. Its exactly the opposite here, lack of places to go and ample access. Opening day of trout season here... you better make sure you don't hook the guy next to you when you cast. There are over 6,000,000 with in 50 mile radius of where I live. Expand that 100 miles and we'er talking 20,000,000. How many people live in AK total? 400,000? There's that many people within 3 miles of where I'm sitting.

MT is nothing like what I remember, while its still a great place it will never be what I remeber as a kid. I'm ok with that, I'm glad I got to experience it when I did. I will always love MT and hope to one day get back and settle there for good, but at this point. I have no reason not to go to AK for a few years and try it out. Heck I might like it better, ya never know.

Personally I think MT is just as cowded as any other state I've hunted. I acutally see more hunters in MT in wildeness areas than I do in CO. I remember hunting my elk spot in MT 10-15 years ago and being the only one in the drainage during the rut in archery season. Now you need to take a number at the trail head to get a parking spot.

Fishing on any major river in MT is the same way. Go fish the Madison, Bighole, Beaverhead, Bighorn, Missouri, etc in the summer and just count the boats. I have no idea how many float the Mad on a daily basis, but my aunt runs a shuttle business and some days her company shuttles nearly a 100 cars for a 40 mile section of river. Fishing in MT is overated.

While AK might not be better than MT for quick hunts, anything is better than where I currently live. Quick hunts are fun and all, but I perfer to take off time and make a trip out of it. I actually enjoy hunting in MT more today than I did living there because I get to enjoy it for a 8-10 days straight rather than 1-2 days here and there. To be honest I think I actually spend more time hunting too.

Probalby the biggest thing I miss about MT is the bird hunting and elk hunting/camping in September. Other than that... I really don't miss a whole lot about the hunting. There are so many people hunting the areas I used to hunt it makes me sad. The private land hunting is next to impossible to get on anymore, and when you do you can only hunt here or shoot this.

I don't know anyone in MT that has killed a goat, sheep and moose. You guys can keep telling yourself that you'll hunt the big 3 in MT once before you die... I'll go hunt one every year. :D

A good friend who grew up in helena moved to anchorage a couple years ago. Last year i went up and went into the yukon charley with him, loved it. He also flew up to the brooks range and did a 2 week float for caribou and sheep. At first he was having a hard time with the population of anchorage, the plan was to experience it 3 years and come back to MT. Then the plan changed to 5 years. Last time i asked him he said 10 years. He has a wife and 3 kids, from what i see they are getting out and experiencing AK quite a bit. Even around anchorage they are finding fun stuff to do. If you want to talk to him hes on the forums and i can have him contact you. Im sure hed answer some questions.

i love fishing the kenai peninsula, the kenai is a mob but ive been on another river down there that is closed to motorboats and it is better than the kenai. never saw another boat on it.

Big 3 for me in 10 years Bambi......it can be done! Good luck on Alaska, don't think you will regret it. I've been in Alaska for about 1 hour. I stopped into Hyder to camp for the night, on the way up to the Yukon. You have to go through Stewart B. C. on a dead end road to get there. The only campground just had a brown bear walk through, and wouldn't let me tent camp there. Took most of the hour to get back through the B. C. border check due to having a rifle. Funky town and people there for sure. Don't think I could handle living in that kind of gray, wet, coastal environment either.

A friend that used to live in Idaho, now lives in Wasilla. Been there for about 5 years and loves it. Lot's of snow in the Christmas card he sent this past year.

When are you looking at heading up there?

You're way ahead of the curve, I know quite a few people that have had goat and moose tags, but we're talking one tag in 10 years or more. Life is to short to wait 10 years between hunts. I've been applying for 'easy to draw units' in MT for 18 years and haven't pulled one tag yet, as a NR I doubt I ever will, but I keep sending in my money and hoping for the best. Sooner or later I might luck out or I can get in a lot of sheep hunts in that sooner or later time frame in AK.

BS,

I think you should give AK a try...you have nothing to lose and you can always move to MT later.

I do know quite a number of people that have bagged the big three in MT. Matter of fact, I know one guy that has drawn limited tags and shot 3 sheep, 1 goat, and 2 moose in about 20 years. His kids have also drawn some of the big 3 as well.

I drew moose and goat in less than 20 years.

But, like you say, you can still apply down here anyway.

I say go for the AK experience now.

Alaska in a heartbeat! I try to go there at least twice a year. I'll be taking my FIL on his dream vacation there in July for the second run of the Reds on the Russian and a But charter out of Seward hoping to jig up some lings and yellow eye too!

My ultimate dream is to own my house outright in Arizona and Live in Alaska in the summer time being a snowbird in AZ in the winter time. It's hard to beat the hunting opportunities here in AZ, but to hunt Moose, Carribou, Dall Sheep/ goats and the legendary fishing?

I'll vote for Alaska every time! I look at the winters in AK like the summers in AZ. After the second winter/summer, you'll get acclimated and learn to adapt and enjoy the extremes!

I look at the winters in AK like the summers in AZ. After the second winter/summer, you'll get acclimated and learn to adapt and enjoy the extremes!

You got that right. I grew up in Phoenix and moved to Alaska when I was 24. I have now lived here 12 years. People in AZ ask how I can stand the winters and it really is like Phoenix in the summer. You don't go out much if you don't have to, you run from your house to your car to your work, you have to properly maintain your vehicles and watch tire pressure, hoses, belts, and fluids. Heating your house is a PITA and paying for A/C in AZ is too. I was amazed at how quickly I adapted. The lack of sunshine bugged me the first 2-3 winters but now I am used to it.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from coming and living in Alaska, but from a pure hunting/fishing perspective, I would think living in Montana and taking a few trips to Alaska would be better overall.

Having lived in MT, CO, NM, TX, WY and have had family live in AK I pick WY just cause I like it the best overal. Hunting, fishing, less peopel and the lowest taxes over all.

Bambistew,
Seems like you're going to pull the trigger and move up here. Can't blame you. I'm sure after living back east so long, nothing will seem crowded up here :D

We are going mountain goat hunting this fall. Buddy drew the 2nd time he put in. Can't beat that. A lot of areas have draw % over 10%. Would be pretty hard to find simliar odds in the "48".

Moving up to AK actually increased my chances of drawing moose and bighorn sheep in WY. I have max points for moose, any area I can draw. As a resident I would still be a couple years out. Same with sheep.

I couldn't imagine driving from where you live to AK. It was a long drive just from WY....

If it's just a temporary move, I'd say AK. If you thinking longer term/permanent, I'd say MT. Many have covered the reasons for why above. If I was to move to AK and work allowed, I'd do my best to stay out of either Anchorage or Fairbanks and look to live in a smallish town. Might as well get the whole meal deal package if you're gonna go! :D

Well I guess I'd pick Alaska, since I have no regrets of moving here. Our plan was to spend 3-5 years here then move to the ID,MT,WY,Co area for 3-5 years before heading back to the WI, MN area. It will be 6 years this summer and we're planning on being here another 3 at least. I don't have problems with crowds or doing after work hunting/fishing trips like those on the roadsystem do. My best friend also has a decent sized boat and I know quite a few others with boats. Heck I have a 22 foot skiff as far as that goes. It does take a couple years to figure out where to hunt and fish. Hiking different areas in the summer will help you find areas to hunt. You'll probably hate it the first year or two then you'll start to get a few friends and places to hunt/fish. If you don't like it after three years you probably aren't going to.
There are only a couple areas in the state that I would consider moving to other than Kodiak; the Kenai Pen or Sitka would work. Cordova, Wrangell, Petersburg or POW Island would be nice too if you could find a job that paid enough. If they weren't an option then I'd move to Montana.

I will stick with AK. Never been to MT and the pics I have seen, sure makes the place look good though.

As for the winters, I'm in the banana belt so they arent that bad. you get your cold snaps (below zero), but you deal with it. the rest of the year makes up for it. Anchorage sucks, but it is just a short drive to AK.

Its the lack of daylight that kills most folks. I guess most folks dont believe they are able to do things in the dark.

This pick was taken on a christmas eve at roughy 5PM. Buddy called and said he had a moose down and needed help. You just cant let the darkness get you down. Temps were decent, it was right around zero.

MooseHunt_07005.jpg

Just like anyplace, it is all that you make of it.

Montana is my favorite place to hunt so i would have to choose it. Outstanding bird, elk, deer & antelope hunting, not to mention sheep. I've been there 3 times in the last 7 years & plan to go back as soon as i can.

I was working on a job site in Billings in 1976 and a friend from Alaska stopped by and said he was driving back to Alaska the next day and wanted to know if I wanted to go with him. It took me a few minutes to go by the office to quit and I was off to Alaska. I thought I'd just go to Alaska for the summer, now I'm thinking maybe next summer I'll move back to Montana.

It's takes a bit more planning to put the hunts together and you probably won't get in as much hunting as you would in Montana, where you can just hop in the jeep and be out hunting in an hour or so. It will be a bit more expensive as most hunting will involve some flying, boating, long drives or a combination of them to get you into the area, unless you get lucky and draw in some of the permit areas. You will not enjoy the bird hunting as much as you do in Montana, but there are some good spots for grouse, ptarmigan and the waterfowl hunting is great but for a short time. You can probably fly to Montana in less time from Alaska, then where you are living now, so hunting is just a short plane ride away if you want to hunt Montana, Wyoming or any of the western states.

I have had some good fishing in Montana, but nothing like I have enjoyed in Alaska. I don't think anyone would be sorry they spent a few years in Alaska, she is a great state for the outdoors person.

Would I want to move to Alaska permanently? I didn't think I would stay as long as I have, but it just seems like there's one more thing I need to do before I can head back to Montana. :D

If I was single I'd take AK in a hearbeat.. but my wife would have something to say about the long winters and the lack of accessable Starbucks:confused:

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back