Which Scope for New Rifle

What's the typical range for a 4.5-14 x 40 before you run out of elevation adjustment?
'Twould think there's too many variables to give that a truthful answer (mount inclination, cartridge, bullet, etc). That said, the specs state they have 64 MOA of elevation travel.

I've got an accupower 3-9 with the mil reticle on my most used rifle. I really like it. The illumination is nice as well. It has dialed accurately and retained zero well. Some of their new models look nice, although I haven't used them or seen them in person. I much prefer scopes with reticles that match adjustments. Others have mentioned it, but I'm a huge fan of the SWFA 3-9 as well.

'Twould think there's too many variables to give that a truthful answer (mount inclination, cartridge, bullet, etc). That said, the specs state they have 64 MOA of elevation travel.
Yep. Also what your zero yardage is, and what tube diameter is. Unless you are practiced in long range shooting it will do more than what most hunters need. Now if you want to bang steel plates for fun on weekends out past 800 yards, maybe you want a little more.

I mounted one a VX5-HD 4.5-14 [from Schmalts] on a Rem 700 with Murphy Precision stainless steel base, Leupold Mark 4 medium rings. Took it to a friend's shop to bore sight it. Keyed in on a structure about 300 yards out and after getting it on the money I was just about out of elevation clicks. It won't affect what I'm using the gun for tho.

The gun is a stainless Rem action with a Hart 26 inch barrel and an older [like 40 years older] H-S Precision stock, PTG ss trigger guard, Murphy ss Pic base and Leupold Mark 4 medium aluminum rings. See the one below. With all of that it didn't seem to be very heavy, but there was a noticeable difference in weight after I plopped on the scope. Something to keep in mind is all. It's a 6.5-06AI and I did have a Pachmayr decelerator pad put on it. Tame as a puddy tat now. I could shoot 100 rounds and never feel a thing afterwards.

q25UkFT.jpg

6ehc4Li.jpg

Last edited:
I know some have had some issues with the swaro z3 line but I have two and always go back to them. No issues over the years. One on my .270 and one on 7mm-08 and absolutely love them. I’ve hunted backpack hunts in Idaho, Colorado, and New Mexico and I’ve never had any issues with them holding zero and being a big bright image. Meopta makes a great product in that price range too and I’ve hunted with them a lot when I was stationed in Europe, but the swaro z3 has just don’t great for me here in the states. I’ve hunted hogs in Texas with it under full moons and cloudy afternoons on mule deer hunts and am always so happy with how bright the scope is and just an easy scope to look through. Cabela’s will run that 10% off thing again I’m sure and it’s not a bad deal.

That being said- if you decide meopta- do what everyone else has said and go through @schmalts. I was so happy with my meostar bino purchase through him.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back