Where to buy brass carriage bolts?

Irrelevant

I have looked high and low and I cannot find any brass carriage bolts to replace the one I broke working on my canoe. I'm looking for one 1/4"-20 x 4" bolt in brass. I've gone to both Fastenal and Tacoma Screw, neither had nor could even order it. The ole internet seems to be failing me as well. I found it in stainless and bronze. And brass as a round headed screw (which is probably what I'll end up with), but I thought I ask people who know WAY more than I do about this type of thing if they have any ideas.

Push come to shove you could mess around with electroplating. Not terribly complicated.

I think for marine application you may want silicon bronze, not brass. I’d check wooden boat magazine or something like that to read up on it and find leads

Call McMaster Carr. Occasionally their old paper catalogs have products that don’t show up on their website or app, and a phone call might help.
I agree, McMaster Carr should have what you need. I also agree that bronze is a better choice for the application.

Google is your friend here it brings up numerous suppliers. I'm sure one of them could accommodate you.

Attachments

• brass-carriage-bolt-jpg-500x500.jpg
    brass-carriage-bolt-jpg-500x500.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
Look at yakgear.com
Bought a used canoe this summer and was looking for something specific and finally found it on this site.

Just go buy a wax ring kit at any hardware store They come with 2x brass carriage bolts and you can cut them to desired length.
Great idea, but all the ones I saw is a much shorter google search appeared to be a flat topped bolt with a weird squarish/oblong shape. And none were over 3" (at least that I saw).
1629819515144.png

Great idea, but all the ones I saw is a much shorter google search appeared to be a flat topped bolt with a weird squarish/oblong shape. And none were over 3" (at least that I saw).
View attachment 192258
I don’t know what you’re trying to do with them. I can say that those toilet bolts work on two of my boats that have tracks for putting the head of a bolt inside the track and then tightening a nut down to hold on various things. They make jumbo wax rings and the bolts are definitely longer than 4”. I am sure that you can find exactly what you are looking for at a marine or boat building supply house

I don’t know what you’re trying to do with them. I can say that those toilet bolts work on two of my boats that have tracks for putting the head of a bolt inside the track and then tightening a nut down to hold on various things. They make jumbo wax rings and the bolts are definitely longer than 4”. I am sure that you can find exactly what you are looking for at a marine or boat building supply house
called 4 different marine supply stores today and all said they simply don't make brass carriage bolts that long anymore.

So now I have to either go with silicone bronze or round-headed screw.

But I really do appreciate the idea. That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking I was looking for.

Well I guess maybe I spoke too soon, those are bronze. They do have 3/8” 4” Brass but they do not seem to have 1/4 20 In 4”.

I was there a dozen times yesterday.

I can't go wider. But I do appreciate the effort. Though the entire canoe costs less that those bolts.

1629836525239.png

Beer or whiskey of your choice Brass rod. Thread it. Brass nuts brazed to end. File down to get cap head and square part for the carriage portion…..profit?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back