LEUPOLD Warranty - Input Wanted

GoGriz

I have an item I am looking for some peer feedback on. A while back I purchased a S&W .500 revolver as a gift for myself (prior to having actual responsibilities in life). I topped it with a LEUPOLD FX-II 4x28 long relief pistol scope in silver, which looked real nice on top of the stainless steel gun. The combo shot 2” groups at 100 yards with hand loads and I was happy shooting it for years. This spring I worked up some new hand loads for the gun anticipating using it to hunt this fall. I couldn’t get the gun to group at all, and after going through 30 rounds I finally decided I wasn’t rusty, but the scope was off.

I sent the scope into LEUPOLD in April, and after a few weeks was informed that the scope was at fault, and would be replaced with a 5 week turn around time. I would call every few months and check in on progress, but was told the scopes were back ordered and that they couldn’t pin point when I would get one. Fast forward to a week ago, I received an email noting the replacement was on its way - great news! The box arrived yesterday and when opened it, a black scope was staring at me. I reached out to customer service and asked if they could ship me a silver one, to match what I sent in and I was told they don’t make silver any more so I would only get a black replacement. I asked if they could swap the guts of the new one into the original and I was told that they cannot and there were no other options other than deal with the black scope.

I am a big fan of LEUPOLD and I appreciate their warranty so I hope it doesn’t come off that I don’t. I guess my question for you all is should a person expect to get the same item back (not sure how they do this if they don’t make it anymore but I would think they could paint one or swap guts or rebuild the original maybe?), or should I just be happy they are replacing it and be content with a black scope on the gun?IMG_4556.jpeg

Hard to argue the fact that you got a new scope out of it. Leupold honored their warranty, which is typically an exact replacement or equivalent. If color is that important, maybe see if someone can custom paint it for you. Personally, the black handle and black scope would look better. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though.

Colors come and go in everything, if they replaced what you had with their current equivalent in a reasonable time I would call that a good experience.

I understand the disappointment. But if Leupold doesn't make that scope (equal too or bettter) in silver not sure what they could do besides sending you the black one. i think I would look into sending it to get cerakoted instead of paint if you want to do a color change.

Get it cerakoted prison pink…

Nah, I think that the black is fine. I’ve always been a form and function over fashion kinda guy. I own very little camo, and all of my stainless guns wear black scopes

I don't have anything to offer that hasn't been said. When you mount the new scope, I would move the front ring closer to the bell if you can.

Recently heard leatherman kind of doing the same thing. Replaced a discontinuing model with their current closest model. Unfortunately I think sometimes its not perfect but it's the best they can reasonably do

I am a big fan of LEUPOLD, own several, but I have a VariX ll 4X12X40 that went south. Returned it under warranty and they replaced the erector, which also failed shortly after returned it. This time was a 1 1/2 week turnaround, and I will be putting it back on my .243 to try it right after flintlock season.

I have an item I am looking for some peer feedback on. A while back I purchased a S&W .500 revolver as a gift for myself (prior to having actual responsibilities in life). I topped it with a LEUPOLD FX-II 4x28 long relief pistol scope in silver, which looked real nice on top of the stainless steel gun. The combo shot 2” groups at 100 yards with hand loads and I was happy shooting it for years. This spring I worked up some new hand loads for the gun anticipating using it to hunt this fall. I couldn’t get the gun to group at all, and after going through 30 rounds I finally decided I wasn’t rusty, but the scope was off.

I sent the scope into LEUPOLD in April, and after a few weeks was informed that the scope was at fault, and would be replaced with a 5 week turn around time. I would call every few months and check in on progress, but was told the scopes were back ordered and that they couldn’t pin point when I would get one. Fast forward to a week ago, I received an email noting the replacement was on its way - great news! The box arrived yesterday and when opened it, a black scope was staring at me. I reached out to customer service and asked if they could ship me a silver one, to match what I sent in and I was told they don’t make silver any more so I would only get a black replacement. I asked if they could swap the guts of the new one into the original and I was told that they cannot and there were no other options other than deal with the black scope.

I am a big fan of LEUPOLD and I appreciate their warranty so I hope it doesn’t come off that I don’t. I guess my question for you all is should a person expect to get the same item back (not sure how they do this if they don’t make it anymore but I would think they could paint one or swap guts or rebuild the original maybe?), or should I just be happy they are replacing it and be content with a black scope on the gun?View attachment 298014
I agree, I would want a silver one also. However, the black scope will still look nice, matching the black grip. And as already stated, you could have it Cerakoted if you really want it silver.

I'd be happy that you got the nice end of Leupold's service. I have a scope out for warranty right now and I'm praying it goes as well as yours did.

The black might look good too 🤷‍♂️
Leupold has been an excellent company to deal with for me. I owned a 3.5-10x40 for a long time until I could not zero it any longer. I got on their website, got the directions to return it and sent it back. Approx 2-3 weeks later I had my scope and it was perfect. They completely rebuilt my scope. I'm thinking I would have insisted on having my scope rebuilt. Ask them to send your original scope back to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back