Caribou Gear Tarp

When would you hunt?

PFUNK

This coming season, I will have the opportunity to hunt elk in Montana with my dad. I convinced him to put in this year, and we both drew the 900-15 archery permit. We will be hunting the Highwoods but what I have yet to decide is WHEN we should hunt it. He has banked a lot of vacation over the years so time off won't be an issue for him, but I will probably only have 7-10 days to dedicate to the hunt. I am curious, if you had a limited window to hunt, when would you take your vacation to give yourself the best chance of getting it done? Personally, I am leaning towards opening week right now based on experiences from last year up there. I plan to talk to the biologist from the area about this, but I figured any input I can get from the folks here will be beneficial as well. This will be his first time hunting elk, and I want to give him an experience he won't forget. Don't think I've ever wanted something as bad as I want to get his hands on a bull this coming season. The wait is gonna kill me.

Biologist figure the peak of the rut is Sept. 15-25th regardless of year. They know this by watching when the calves are dropped and then counting back the legnth of the gestation period.

But often times you will hear guys saying they rutted late, or early or whatever in a particular year. That is not true. What is true is that they might be more active during a particular part of the month due to weather or whatever.

Point is, you can't predict elk behavior because a large portion of it is based on something other than the rut cycle.

So just go by what you think might be good and hope the stars line up.

My experience is opening week, you may get smaller more curious elk. By the time 3rd week roles around the elk are prime rut, but the big bulls are harder to get away from the cows. I am going from the 13th through the 20th.
Good luck

I'd rather go earlier than later. They may talk less but they're still looking for love. Plus there's a lot of people in the woods by the 20th.

No matter where I've been, strange things happen on the 15th. Although, I know without a doubt the best % on a giant is earlier. How is that for conflicting?

Last two weeks of September for sure.

I have seen some serious action that first couple days of October before though, especially if we get that little wet spell.

In the BigHorns of Wyoming they always seem to be going decent by the second week of September and it builds through the rest of the month similar to what Toadslayer said and he lives right at the base of the mountains on the east side. I'd guess it's similar up in MT.

If you have 7-10 days, focus around the 15-22 give or take. As stated above, the timing of the rut does not change. It is dictated by photoperiod (length of daylight). Visible and audible rut activity can depend on a lot of different things, one of the most important being weather.

Plan your hunt and and hope for the best. I've found bowhunting pressure to actually drop in MT during the middle of September. There's a big push opening week and then it tapers off.

I would agree that opening weekend is a bit of a Zoo (relatively speaking as it is nothing like opening day of deer back in NY) and then it is relatively quiet during the week until the 3rd and 4th week when it gets crowded.
I've also noted that early in the season the elk are less pressured and educated, which means a little easier to get close to, and by the end of the season they have formed back into larger groups. If it was me I would lean towards the second week of the season.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Kind of figured I would get a lot of different opinions based on everyone's personal experience. Might consider pushing the start date back to the second week, but it's probably a crap shoot. Hunting pressure wasn't all that bad early on so I'm not terribly worried about that. For the most part, we were getting away from everyone except the guys on horses.

Get in shape, the Highwoods can be deceptively steep.

Back