Yeti GOBOX Collection

What's the best way to ship a rifle?

Brian in Montana

I have a couple of long guns I'm selling, one's for sure going out of state. The others, don't know yet. You guys who've been down this road a few times, what's the best way to go about it?

USPS has worked well for me. They’re known to pay claims if insured properly, but I’ve not had any problems. Be sure you’re sending to an FFL, put a copy of the recipient’s FFL and copy of your DL in the box and use the restricted signature option. ULine sells long gun shipping boxes if needed.

I know it goes to an FFL, but packaging and getting it there is where I'm not well versed. I have a friend who's retired the USPS, he was really advising against it. Suggested Fed-Ex. But then again, when I started questioning why not USPS, he really didn't seem to have a good reason or have much understanding of what the laws are about such things.

I had to send a gun back to Browning for repair, UPS refused to ship it even though it was going back to the manufacturer. I had no problem with fed ex.

Having worked in shipping (loading trailers) for a certain brown company when I was younger, the main thing I can say is don't mark stuff "Fragile", I personally never did, but have seen the "underpaid guy having a bad day" just lobbing boxes into a trailer, and when one came along marked as fragile, they almost took it as a challenge. Pack anything you care about as dense as you can, I use crumpled newspaper mainly, Wad it up and pack it in as tight as you can, The harder it is to move in the package, the less odds are it'll get damaged from what I've seen.
Also never handled shipped firearms personally, so they may have a totally different protocol for those, but just my 2 cents....

I know it goes to an FFL, but packaging and getting it there is where I'm not well versed. I have a friend who's retired the USPS, he was really advising against it. Suggested Fed-Ex. But then again, when I started questioning why not USPS, he really didn't seem to have a good reason or have much understanding of what the laws are about such things.
I had FedEx lose a Priority Overnight envelope for 3 months this summer, hence my USPS recommendation. It’s also how my local FFL ships firearms. No guarantees with any of them, of course...despite their guarantees.

As far as packing your rifle for shipment I would recommend that you buy an inexpensive hard rifle case. I bought a rifle from one of the Hunttalkers a while back and that’s how he sent it. Best and safest shipping idea ever!

I've shipped quite a few. I either use an original box, or buy a cheap plastic gun case, wrap the rifle in bubble wrap, and put it all in cardboard.

I've gone to local gun shops and asked for old rifle boxes. They sometimes have ones that customers didn't want or have for shipping. Some charge a few bucks. Wrap in brown paper to make it a little more discrete.

As advised above I would at the very least ship the rifle in a box lined with foam and the rifle in a soft gun case. I prefer to ship in the cheap plastic gun cases. I pick them up at Walmart or big 5 for about $20. Then I either use the box they came in or make a box from a big piece of cardboard.
If the box has anything gun related I cover it or remove the label.
I also tape the gun case latches and handle shut. Use good fabric packing tape and tape all seams and a few wraps around the box in a few spots. I normally put a copy of the receiving FFL and write who the rifle is for on it. Some FFLs want a copy of your drivers license but it’s not required neither is a copy of their FFL in the box but I do it anyway. I put those in an envelope and tape it to the gun case.
USPS or Fed Ex is who I use. You aren’t required to tell them it’s a rifle. If they ask I say “machined parts”.

As far as packing your rifle for shipment I would recommend that you buy an inexpensive hard rifle case. I bought a rifle from one of the Hunttalkers a while back and that’s how he sent it. Best and safest shipping idea ever!

Great point and I’ve done it myself. Be careful that that any structural plastic beneath the foam will not damage the rifle if compressed. I had a beautifully restored Browning Safari rifle damaged in shipment this way.

I've shipped quite a few. I either use an original box, or buy a cheap plastic gun case, wrap the rifle in bubble wrap, and put it all in cardboard.

I've gone to local gun shops and asked for old rifle boxes. They sometimes have ones that customers didn't want or have for shipping. Some charge a few bucks. Wrap in brown paper to make it a little more discrete.
I do the same.
When I ship guns USPS I print off a copy of their policy language that allows for legal shipment of firearms. It has saved a big hassle several times when the employees were not familiar with their firearm shipping rules.

Over the years I've shipped rifles through all three- USPS, UPS and FedEx. I luckily have never experienced any real issues with any of them but if I was asked which one I prefer, I'd say UPS. The last time I shipped some rifles, I paid like $5 for UPS to pick them up from my home after they were boxed and had shipping labels attached.

USPS has worked well for me. They’re known to pay claims if insured properly, but I’ve not had any problems. Be sure you’re sending to an FFL, put a copy of the recipient’s FFL and copy of your DL in the box and use the restricted signature option. ULine sells long gun shipping boxes if needed.
I've shipped several rifles to a FFL using USPS, with no issues. It cost me around $45 each time. I live in a very small, rural town and the postmaster didnt know you could mail a rifle. I had preprinted the rules off the USPS site and she called someone higher to verify but once confirmed, off it went.

I've shipped/received probably over 100 firearms over the years, all by Canada Post (your USPS). All were packaged in cardboard boxes (rifle boxes or makeshift boxes) and have never had a single issue.

I don't know about shipping regulations south of the border but make sure you look into it to make sure you don't do something you're not supposed to.

USPS is by far cheaper than Fed Ex or UPS. UPS charged me over $50 once to ship a rifle to the manufacturer. USPS was something like $20-25.

I prefer the case or box within a box method. An old factory box with foam molding works great. A cheap hard case obviously works great. The muzzle is your biggest concern, jamming forward or through any box. Get rifle secure in the interior box with copy of receiving FFL, buyer contact info and your info, and then an overpack box for extra protection, with some crumpled packing paper at either end to take up any gap. No exterior marking denoting firearm. Put a nondescript description in the notes if needed, but also something that is not deceptive, and also something that supports any damage claim you may need to make. For example R70065CM. Don't skimp on packing tape to secure box seams on all sides. UPS just feels more secure to me than the post office but may be double the cost. Have received many shipments to my ffl and sent out a couple with no issues to date.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back