Caribou Gear Tarp

what state for goats?

duckhunt

Im thinking I want to start getting some points built up for mountian goats. Ive been looking through the threads on here and it looks like the two favorites are montana and Idaho. If you were going to build points wich state would you choose and why?

Idaho: no points system so the odds are the same for everyone.

Colorado: guaranteed nonresident allocation and relatively low demand nanny only tags.

I was looking at idaho today but I didnt see that. This was my first time on idahos site so I really couldnt find my way around. Thanks for the info.

Wyoming and Idaho are complete random draw for mountain goats. Some of Idaho's units look like great odds until you realize that there is a 10% overall nonresident cap and it hits it every time.

With that taken into account Wyoming's odds are around 2% and Idaho's are around 3%. Not great but as good as it is going to get without 10+ points in just about any other state.

Factor in "average" luck and you are looking at 25 years to draw a Wyoming tag and 16 years to draw an Idaho tag. But realize you could draw the first year or you might not draw in 50 years. It truly is all about luck.

Montana seems like a good state, but you need to really research the number of people ahead of you and the way the points are squared. Some units in Montana and you are still looking at less than 1% odds even with 10+ points.

Colorado and Utah both have a good amount of tags that go to non-residents and also have some nanny only tags that have a little better drawing odds. The math still isn't very good but if you build up 10+ years of points you would probably have a good shot at some of the more marginal tags.

Washington seems like it would be a great state to apply in with a lot of goats, but I don't remember why I've never bothered applying there.

Basically you either need to get super lucky like I did last year with my Wyoming tag or you need to be thinking 10+ years of applying for a chance at a marginal unit or probably 20+ years of applying for one of the better units.

When you start to do the math and add up the eventual cost of some of those tags with all those years of applying you get pretty darn close to what you would pay for a guided hunt in Alaska or Canada.

You never know though, it's all in the draw.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Duckhunt, I honestly think if you really want to kill a goat you would be better off going to Alaska or Canada. If you can get on some reputable outfitters cancelation lists and are flexible you might get a good deal. Goats are one animal that it sure doesn't hurt to have an outfitter for. Not because they are hard to find and kill but because it is a very difficult hunt to do without a partner to pack and help out. Goats are made to be hunted with a couple of guys just from a safety perspective in my opinion. If you consider the cost of applying in Idaho for ten years (buying a $160+ hunting license each year) and then the $2000+ tag along with the actual hunt cost it adds up quickly. Add in two or three more states to the mix to ensure you have a somewhat reasonable chance of drawing a tag in 20 years and it starts to make AK and Canada seem reasonable.

I'm by far an expert on this (first year applying), but I've been looking things over pretty extensively. Nathan is spot on about everything he says. I'll only add my thoughts on Washington. There isn't a NR allocation, so residents and nonresidents are in the same pool. Points get squared, so in time your odds definately increase. With that said, its $110/year to apply and the odds in 2014 were slightly less than 1:500. The 500 is applicants, so that doesn't even taking PP into consideration. I've decided to pass on it. I'd rather put my $100/year on a trip to BC or Alaska.

You are not really in the goat draw in CO until the 4th year of applying. The have preference points that cap at 3 then you start getting bonus points.

NV does not currently offer a NR goat tag but used to and will again if numbers rebound.

If money is no object, apply everywhere that offers 1 or more NR draw goat tags or just spend around $10,000 door to door including taxidermy to buy one of the 20 or so UT auction goat tags or you can head to AK or BC to goat hunt this fall for around $15,000 door to door including taxidermy.

If money is an object, WY is your cheap application roll of the dice with no points so your chance is as good as mine this year. ID is a $180 roll of the dice but no points so your odds are as good as mine. OR is about the same with no points so your odds are as good as mine. MT is not too costly to apply but has points squared so you are way, way behind on the odds and gets worse each year due to minimal tags vs. lots of applicants. WA is more to apply and also points squared.

Good luck on your goat quest. I have been fortunate to draw two tags over a couple of decades in the draw game. Physically tough hunts and have distinct memories of great scenery and scaling or jumping things a weekend hunter should never scale or jump. Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga.

Not many mention Utah as an option. If you are not hung up on a billy and want to hunt goats in 5-6 years I think you start having a shot at hunting nanny's. At least last I looked. You better be really good at judging though.

You could be an old man by the time you draw a non res tag in the lower 48.

Get in contact with reputable outfitters/guides and get on their cancellation notification list. Some bargains can be had.

Thanks for the info. Looks like buying a hunt is the only for sure way to go.

That's exactly correct. BUT, you might still want to apply for some states as you can always get lucky. Keep the guided hunt as a real probability though if you don't get lucky and draw a tag.

I mentioned this on another thread, but Montana has decent goat numbers, and has $40 application fees, so that is another option

Back