Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT

How do tou feel about driving? I had friends I worked with who drive 2 hours each way so they could live where the kids would have a good life. Yes you loose some evening family time and sports viewing. But for some they lived it, didn't mind the miles on the car and hours on the road. Me, that much time in a car, everyday, would kill me

Your mileage may vary
I drive 6-7 hours a day for my current job, so I dont mind being on the road. Im also being paid for those hours, so its a little easier. My family is always number 1 and I want my kids to be safe with a descent school. Sounds like driving through the Rez everyday will be a nightmare though.

Moving back to Montana from Wyoming would be a huge downgrade hunting wise. With young kids, picking a town with a good school should be your #1 concern. Sounds like a great job opportunity with too many difficult obstacles to me. Good luck on whatever you decide!
I am in agreement. Making over 100k with a federal job isnt an easy accomplishment either. Its a tough call.

Looking at the Sheridan area real estate prices, it's popular and expensive. Passing through a few times, Dayton always impressed me as a nice little town. One thing working in Montana and living in Wyoming, you are not going to enjoy the no state income tax that you are used to, working and living in Wyoming.

Looking at the Sheridan area real estate prices, it's popular and expensive. Passing through a few times, Dayton always impressed me as a nice little town. One thing working in Montana and living in Wyoming, you are not going to enjoy the no state income tax that you are used to, working and living in Wyoming.
Ive never been to Dayton, but I love Sheridan. Its damn expensive, especially with property. Id like to get at least 20 acres if it all works out. I dont think MT state taxes are too bad, but definitely another expense I would need to add in.

I drive 6-7 hours a day for my current job, so I dont mind being on the road. Im also being paid for those hours, so its a little easier. My family is always number 1 and I want my kids to be safe with a descent school. Sounds like driving through the Rez everyday will be a nightmare though.
6-7 hours behind the glass isn’t a issue till you still have to work a full day with it

Does the Rez plow their roads often? Or is it done by the state?
There are state maintained highways on the reservation and the rest of the roads are done by the county. The back roads from Bridger to Pryor and Pryor to St X don’t get a ton of attention and can drift in pretty bad at times.

There are state maintained highways on the reservation and the rest of the roads are done by the county. The back roads from Bridger to Pryor and Pryor to St X don’t get a ton of attention and can drift in pretty bad at times.
Thank you. I pretty sure Bridger is out of the question. Ranchester wyo seems to be the best bet. But driving 3 hours through a rez each day doesnt sound fun

Thank you. I pretty sure Bridger is out of the question. Ranchester wyo seems to be the best bet. But driving 3 hours through a rez each day doesnt sound fun
The interstate is a piece of cake most days. The pass creek divide can get snowy at time, but where doesn't in MT and WY. I am not that experienced with the two lane highways to Fort Smith to give an opinion.

The interstate is a piece of cake most days. The pass creek divide can get snowy at time, but where doesn't in MT and WY. I am not that experienced with the two lane highways to Fort Smith to give an opinion.
I appreciate the information. Its a lot to think about. Might take a drive up there and see what its like before making a decision. I grew up in MT and would love to get back there at some point in my life, but northern Wyo is a pretty nice second to that.

I gave up a very similar job that you have now to chase the money within the feds. Grass isn't greener fella. The extra responsibility, paperwork, meetings and stress that comes with the pay is something to ponder.

Plus you'd be giving up CFD, lack of income tax, and raghorns.

If you have time I would recommend driving up there some weekend with your family and look around the area and drive out to the dam and get an estimated drive time, see what the roads are like, take scenic trip through Garryowen, etc. I’ve worked some around Cheyenne when my kids were younger and it has way more to offer than southern Montana for a young family, but everyone is different.
I have some friends that worked out on a Christian camp on the Bighorn and they had mixed feelings about the area. Best of luck.

I gave up a very similar job that you have now to chase the money within the feds. Grass isn't greener fella. The extra responsibility, paperwork, meetings and stress that comes with the pay is something to ponder.

Plus you'd be giving up CFD, lack of income tax, and raghorns.
You sir, bring up a lot of great points 🤣

If you have time I would recommend driving up there some weekend with your family and look around the area and drive out to the dam and get an estimated drive time, see what the roads are like, take scenic trip through Garryowen, etc. I’ve worked some around Cheyenne when my kids were younger and it has way more to offer than southern Montana for a young family, but everyone is different.
I have some friends that worked out on a Christian camp on the Bighorn and they had mixed feelings about the area. Best of luck.
Thank you for your insight. I believe cheyenne is better as far as a town goes for the kids, but a small farm other than shitty prairie grass, cost well above a mil here. Hard to live the kind of life I grew up doing here.

Thank you for your insight. I believe cheyenne is better as far as a town goes for the kids, but a small farm other than shitty prairie grass, cost well above a mil here. Hard to live the kind of life I grew up doing here.
That makes complete sense. And you being from WY you are probably used to driving, so living in Ranchester to the dam is probably feasible for you. that area up there in northern WY is my favorite. I think a large portion of the Crow reservation in Montana is really productive ground and there are some really good folks out in the rural areas.

Back