What should OYO hunt next year?

What should OYOA hunt next year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted birds...you can hunt them OYO too ya know...

And I don't mean turkeys...nothing makes me change the channel faster

I voted birds...you can hunt them OYO too ya know...

And I don't mean turkeys...nothing makes me change the channel faster

Don't blame the birds... it's usually the other "turkeys" in the film that causes all the problems...

Turkey hunting....is there anything less entertaining. Might be neck and neck with bass fishing.

If you do a show bird hunting, I'll watch Bob Villa, maybe he's doing a show on how to watch paint dry. Keep the show, with horns, antlers, teeth, and claws and you'll keep more interest. Those of you who are die hard bird hunters would enjoy the show, but your fewer and farther in between. Translates to smaller audience share. Everyone enjoys the pursuit of big game.

Turkey hunting....is there anything less entertaining. Might be neck and neck with bass fishing.

Suit yourself, but western hunts are NOT the only show in town... You guys can have your bear hunting in the spring, I'll take my turkey hunting... Besides not having all you guys in the woods just makes it better for us...
Oh, and the same goes for bass fishin'...

Liking those results so far. Here is what you will see for next year, which starts airing July, 2010.

Four elk
Two mule deer
Two Rocky Mountain Bighorns
Two pronghorn
One black bear
One whitetail

Maybe I wasted all your time by posing the question in the first place. The 2010 lineup looks pretty similar to that pole results are.

The poll reflects a lot of western hunter influence and a western hunt agenda. Agreed the west has most of the available public land access, but it's not the only place that OYOA can be fulfillled. Plus it can be a difficult and expensive adventure for people who live further east. Maybe you should call the show WOYOA? I'm just sayin'...

I'm surprised that you didn't do this 1st Big Fin. Man you must be getting old or just dreaming/stressing about missed shots in front of the camera. ;)

Do what, the poll? I did this poll on the old Hunt Talk, NAHC, Hunt Info, MM, and Bowsite back in 2007, before ever hatching this idea. The results really haven't changed.

And one of our big sponsors did a real poll, a scientific one conducted by paid consultants. Results were almost like this, and that poll was from people all over the country. Given that a lot of hunters from the midwest, south, and east like to see western big game, tells me that there is not enough to satisfy the demand, and even though the whitetail turkey gig is right out the back door for those guys, they don't need/want anymore of it on TV.

So, the western stuff is what people mostly want to see, is not being delivered in any appreciable way when compared to the demand, and is more conducive to showing public land hunting. Doesn't mean we won't hunt the midwest, east, or south, just won't be the main diet of what we show. Lot's of other good shows doing that, so it brings the question, "Why try to compete with something others are better at, and is in such great supply, that most hunters are saying Enough Already!"

Doesn't mean that type of hunting isn't fun, or that it is not being done as OYO hunting. Maybe someone will make OYO eastern whitetails the next new show. Would be cool if they did.

And if I ever draw that Maine, NH, or Vermont moose tag, we will be hunting back east. Don't cross off Maine or Minnesota hunts for bear of whitetails.

Going back home to MN for a whitetail hunt would be a lifestyle episode, not a hunting episode. I mean these people "Shut 'er down" for deer season. The entire countryside is dressed in orange, the first greeting is "Getch'er buck yet?" and they celebrate hunting like no place I know of. I think it would be cool to go back home to my town of 250 people, take cameras to all the "hunting shacks," put cameras up in the local pub and records all the BS stories, and interview some of these folks about their deer hunting traditions. But, not sure if other people would find it to be as entertaining as I would.

So until then, it will probably be a lot like what you saw the first year, and will see the second year. Year three is in the planning, and depending on the tags, will be a really cool season.

Also, hoping year three gives us opportunity to do some "web only" exclusives. They would be longer than the TV episodes and not be governed by the same production rules as TV.

I was talking about the poll. I'm a numbers person so it's eaier for me to see the numbers rather then reading all of the posts in your other thread. It is always interesting to see if anyting has changed in the eyes of the viewer. Fin, how long did you have the OYO idea for before putting it into action?

I saw the turkey hunt show, I thought it was great!

Thanks Tom. It did turn out great. Just don't know if we could off another episode of that quality. And, turkeys are the one thing that rates really low in all the polls. And, when I looked at our ratings for the weeks it ran, it was "so-so," even though it was nominated as one of the top turkey episodes on the network last year. Not sure how you "lift the needle" with turkey hunts, if that one was only a modest success.

MN whitetail would be a cool episode I had my first chance hunting public ground there in 2009.Now I am going back every year its only 70 miles from my door step and $140.00 for a non res tag.

I was talking about the poll. I'm a numbers person so it's eaier for me to see the numbers rather then reading all of the posts in your other thread. It is always interesting to see if anyting has changed in the eyes of the viewer. Fin, how long did you have the OYO idea for before putting it into action?

You think your a numbers person. You obviously don't know Fin. He's what I'd call a numbers nerd. Thank heavens too. I don't think anyone else could make sense of my financial messes. Went fishing with him and Mathew this spring and did not know that you actually have books with numbers and graphs to figure out those Walleye. I let them do all the numbers since I'm a little short upstairs in the Math department.

Obviously all the polls are correct. It is adventure out west that stirs the soul, period. Thus western big game is what people want to see and learn more about in terms of making there own hunt dream a reality.

Every hunter wants to be Jeremiah Johnson ...but with very minor male enhancements such as: a big-time gun or 300-fps bow, an SUV, satellite TV, google-earth scouting, a cell-phone to immediately send trophy photos to his buddies, plus every cool hunting doo-dad that comes out each year. :rolleyes: Just make shows that feed the dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back