MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What Is Your Suggestion For an Ideal First Elk Hunt?

huntnkat

Hey guys! I've read on here for a long time, but this is my first post. I'm from middle TN and always wanted to hunt out west. My wife and I visited and almost moved out west a few years ago. We have a family now and that's not probably not going to happen until I retire someday. But now, my brother and I are finally ready to start actually planning an elk hunt. We're looking at going 2 years from now in 2018. I'm starting to plan now so we can start building preference points etc. We're both experienced whitetail hunters with bows and firearms. I've been doing a ton of research lately. We're looking at doing a backpack type hunt so we can get away from the crowds. Not afraid of hard work and hiking. What I'm stuck on is trying to find our best option to have a successful hunt. I'm thinking of trying to do a 1st season rifle hunt in CO with archery OTC as a plan B. I've also thought of going to MT or WY on a general tag and archery hunting but I"m not how these hunts would be for first timers with bears etc. We'd be happy with any bull and probably a cow but I would like to at least have a chance at a bull. Would just like to stay away from super crowded areas and have a good chance at taking an elk. What would y'all suggest we do for the first time? I appreciate any input. Seems like a great and super knowledgeable group of hunters here :)

LOL I hope so. I'd love to be able to do at least one Western hunt a year. Don't know if my wife would like me being gone much more than that though.

LOL I hope so. I'd love to be able to do at least one Western hunt a year. Don't know if my wife would like me being gone much more than that though.

That's what I said last year after me and my wife went antelope hunting for the first time out west (Wyoming) and this fall I have two planned, a rifle antelope trip and a month later rifle deer trip planned. Addicting is right. As to your question I'm in the same boat as you but planning for 2017, have some ideas like general MT archery or Colorado archery. But will be watching to see what others suggest.

Last edited:
Why wait 2 years? Unless you have vacation, gear or financial constraints, pick up an OTC tag in Colorado and go this year. You'll learn more and have fun doing it.

Eric- That's awesome I'd love to do both of those hunts as well. Just have elk higher on the priority list. That's great that y'all hunt together. I'd love to take my wife cause she likes to hunt too. It's just a little difficult for both of us to go when we have a 2 year old. Hopefully when she gets a little older.

Deer_shooter- Man I'd love to go this year. I just got started a new job though. Might be able to make it happen next year though. Any idea on how crowded most units are on a otc archery tag in CO?

I appreciate the responses guys!

If you are intent on 2018 put in for point this yr and next and if you haven't in WY for this year, there's still time. Having a couple points in Wy, Co plus playing the odds in NM could open up far more options than the general OTC tag. If you end up going OTC points will help you draw a general tag in WY and don't forget ID as an OTC option. I personally likel ID OTC better than CO even though I'd had success with both. Good luck. Watch out it gets addictive.

If you are intent on 2018 put in for point this yr and next and if you haven't in WY for this year, there's still time. Having a couple points in Wy, Co plus playing the odds in NM could open up far more options than the general OTC tag. If you end up going OTC points will help you draw a general tag in WY and don't forget ID as an OTC option. I personally likel ID OTC better than CO even though I'd had success with both. Good luck. Watch out it gets addictive.

Thanks Tex. I'm planning on building points in WY for sure. I hadn't thought about NM but that's a good idea. I'd definitely be open to ID too. It's just a farther drive is all. What do you prefer about ID over CO?

Every CO unit, and even every location within a unit, is going to be different as far as pressure, and its going to be different year to year.

As an example, at one of our favorite spots we saw one person hunt through in 1.5 seasons, then all of a sudden one weekend there was a group of wall tents with 9 guys right in the middle of where we had been setting up on the elk. It was a group of guys from another state that only come out every third year.

Screw your job and move West. Do like Beverly Hillbillies and bring everyone :cool:

JohnCushman hit the nail on the head. I base my career and lifestyle choices to accommodate my Western Hunting Needs!
Seriously though, a CO otc or MT general elk tag during Archery Season is what I'd do. If you're in decent shape, you can get away from the crowds. Plus, there's generally less crowds during archery season anyways. And the season is a month or longer. And the weather is more favorable. And both tags are good for an either-sex elk. Good luck!

I'd find a high success (30% or greater kill) cow hunt for your first elk hunt. ID, CO and MT would be the states I'd research.

Thanks for all the input y'all. I'm thinking we'll probably do an OTC archery in CO or ID(probably CO for logistics) or an easy to draw tag like a MT general or 1st season CO. At the same time I'd like to start building points in WY to hopefully do an archery hunt there in several years. I'd love to bowhunt the Bighorns but seems like that takes a good bit of points. For the first time, we'd both be tickled with a cow but would like to have the opportunity at a bull too since it's such an investment to head out there. Plus, knowing my luck, I'd have a cow tag and a giant 6 point would walk out at 20 yards or something Lol

RkyMtnELK- A drop camp sure seems nice, just don't know if we'll be able to afford that.

El Unit- Lol I hear ya. The good thing is my job will let me go out there. Just won't be able to live there for a while. We're both in decent shape so I think we could get away from most folks hopefully. I'd love to do a MT hunt. Southwest MT is my favorite place in the world. Do you have any thoughts on the Beaverhead National Forest near and south of Dillon? Seems like that may be a good MT archery option for us away from most of the bears.

"We'd be happy with any bull and probably a cow but I would like to at least have a chance at a bull."

I recommend you just make sure your first elk is brown and set your sights there. Antlers and points can come later. Colorado sounds great, but don't let the bears scare you. There are plenty places in MT, ID and WY without problematic numbers of bears.

"We'd be happy with any bull and probably a cow but I would like to at least have a chance at a bull."

I recommend you just make sure your first elk is brown and set your sights there. Antlers and points can come later. Colorado sounds great, but don't let the bears scare you. There are plenty places in MT, ID and WY without problematic numbers of bears.

Thanks Ben. Re-reading that part, it didn't sound the way I intended it to. We'd be happy with any elk, just don't want to limit ourself to a cow only hunt in case we get an opportunity at a bull. I don't care about points or inches. Just want have a great hunt and get our feet wet with Western hunting and hopefully have some meat and good stories to bring home.

The nice thing about CO archery is that you can usually find an OTC w/caps archery or muzzleloader bear tag for whatever unit you decide to archery elk hunt :cool: I usually grab a OTC fall turkey tag as well.

As stated before, you could probably draw a Wyoming general tag in 2018 if you buy your points the next couple of years.

Idaho allows you to use an elk or deer tag on a wolf, lion, or black bear, which provides a little more opportunity.

If you already know someone who elk hunts, try to buddy up with them. Offer to drive your rig and pay for the gas in exchange for taking you under their wing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back