PEAX Equipment

What is a coywolf?

A hybrid species bred by the big auto insurance companies to thin deer heards on the east coast.

Where's my tin foil hat?

It's one of those fancy new ca breeds, like a labordoodle. Otherwise known as a mutt. Only difference is the first cost a grand at some clueless pet shop while the later can be had for free at your local tsc.

They forgot to mention the red wolf (canis rufus) which used to be indigenous to the southeast but now there is only a remnant population down around SW Louisiana/SE Texas, except for some which were reintroduced to the sound country of coastal NC, thanks to the infinite wisdom of some dickhead Division of Wildlife actuary who wanted to make a name for himself for posterity sake.
Strangely enough your coywolf looks strikingly similar to the red wolf.

Last edited:
tarheel, the red wolves were also introduced on the barrier islands off of SC at the same time. SC's DNR claims that after hurricane Hugo destroyed the illegal fox pens that had coyotes in them, some of the red wolves managed to make it to the mainland and cross breed with the coyotes. DNR claims that is why our coyotes are bigger and more aggressive than the Western 'yotes and have the color variations found down here, and that is the reason for the rapid growth in the population of 'yotes, here in SC.

We do have a population of coydogs, which are in fact crossbred coyotes with feral dogs. These critters are much more aggressive and are responsible for killing more deer than the damn coyotes.

The picture in the article certainly looks like some of the 'yotes I've killed and gotten trail cam pictures of over the years.

Last edited:
Coywolves give population biologists something to talk about at conferences and have the unique ability to create infinite conservation issues that are impossible to solve. Also see Northern Boreal Toad, Woods Bison, etc...:)

The red wolf is also in Smokey Mtn NP in Tennessee. I was lucky enough to see two while there the summer before me senior year of high school.

http://www.great.smoky.mountains.national-park.com/info.htm#wolf

Interesting to hear that we have wolves all over the country, even places like TN, SD, NE, KS, NC, AZ, CA, MN, etc.. Aside from where they are being released it seems like they are showing up in weird places every year.

Weird story I just read.
Coyote enters house through doggie door, stays for 30 minutes
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...oor--stays-for-30-minutes-183736620.html?vp=1

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back