Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What happens when you die?

I may be the exception….I would kill for my grandfather’s n great grandfather’s elk n deer mounts. I remember listening to the stories, helping them getting ready to head to wherever they were going, all of it…..n now they sit in houses where the new “owners” don’t give a flying f**k about em…..yes it pisses me off

100% with you on this. I have a kind of comical looking whitetail shoulder mount my uncle killed in the early 80s, and I think it's sweet. I know my grandfather hunted, and I'd love to know what happened to any taxidermy he may have had.

Also, to answer my own question earlier in this thread... if anyone ever kills an animal that may be book, make sure to get it documented and keep that stored securely. Evidently B&C mounts can actually be quite valuable.

I received yet another email yesterday from a gentleman wanting to know how to sell his lifesize sheep mount. He's very considerate....cancer is in remission, but it created an awareness that nobody in his family wants his dead sheep and he doesn't want his wife to have to deal with it. Most of the messages I get are from the families.

I had a guy contact me earlier this year who had purchased over 100 pieces of taxidermy from an estate, including a grand slam of lifesize sheep mounts. Wanted to know if we would like to purchase them. I politely declined, telling him that people in general are not that interested in the taxidermy mounts of other people.

I got a random call from him again about 4 weeks ago, ready to deal. The price had dropped... to free...gonna have to start paying for storage if he couldn't get rid of them. I politely declined again. I told him that I would have a hard time giving them away, as I was sure he was discovering. :D He replied, "I understand it's really rare to have a collection of all 4 sheep!" I corrected him that it's rare to get to hunt and harvest all 4 sheep, and nobody cares about other people's taxidermy.....

Do your families a favor and figure it out before you check out. I think my go-to line will be, "do you really want all of this sh1t or are you just being nice?"
I hope you outlive me, and not to be morbid, but is it tacky to call seconds on your mule deer collection?

I have a mule deer mount that my grandfather shot. I am 60 now and enjoyed it from the time I was 12 years old. It went with me to college and hung in the frat house behind the bar while I was there 4 years. It been in every house I have had. I had no children so this year I am hauling it up to my cousins place in Ohio where we hunt deer there. He has a barn he has turned into a deer hunting meca. Huge kitchen, bathroom gathering area , walk in cooler and processing area. He has a lot of our mounts there we killed in Ohio. He also has two sons I want to get granddads mule deer mount up there so it doesn't end up being lost from the family. They were much closer to my grand dad than me. I have enjoyed it but time to pass it along. I will let them know they are welcome to my mounts when I am gone but wouldn't be hurt if they didn't want to mess with them.

My grandpa has a hell of a collection of critters from around the world. I know all the stories and there's some mounts I'd like to keep. Lets say there's 100 trophies between their house and cabin, I want maybe 5 or 6 of them. Marco Polo being one for sure. It'd be cool to deck out a mancave, but the mancave would have to be a pretty big shop to fit everything. Besides, I'm working on my own collection!

Taxidermy has to be the worst investment. It's worth it as the hunter to be able to sit there and look at the critter while reliving the hunt in your mind. My grandpa especially loved it as he got older and wasn't able to hunt like he used to.

The only mounts I see being worth some money would be like the full body brown bear, lion, and alligator. The problem is you need a lot of room for those mounts.

I tried to convince my taxidermist that the business to be in would be to create mounts that have the ability to switch out horns out on.
Take your new horns, drill them, pin them, pop the old ones off and pop the new ones on the "Interchangeable mount".
He told me I was crazy, but I am telling you I would love to have a mount that I could just pop my new horns on in a few seconds....

Next mount I see for sale online I am going to buy it and try it. Why not?

I got some good horns lying around that I would like to mount but I am too cheap to mount them.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and kind of regret how much taxidermy I've gotten done over the years.

I won't have any family members that will be interested in more than 1 or 2 of them. Is it weird if I have a viking style funeral on top of my pile of mounts?

Same thing with my sheds. I've never sold one, but all they're doing is collecting dust and will probably get sold for way less than they're worth after I give up the ghost.

I currently have whats left of my family’s mounts. A few relatives sold some of my great-grandpa’s mounts - particularly a large marlin and some birds. Other mounts were “misplaced” or disappeared.

Its pretty cool to have a goose my great-grandpa shot, mounted in the 50’s. Also have the mahi-mahi replica of his from the same era. I have a pheasant mount of my Grandpa’s from the 60’s, his first elk he shot at age 93, and my Dad’s mallard from the 70’s. Then I have my mounts which includes duck, deer, and elk.

It says something to have 4 generations of mounts on the wall and that will hopefully give it meaning to my son who is only 5, but is as obsessed with hunting/fishing as the rest of the family. Cant wait to have something mounted for him so we can make it 5 generations.

I dont expect my family to keep all my mounts when Im gone. But hopefully theres a few that get included in the legacy mount collection.

I know in my buddy's family it had to be put in the will who gets the shoulder mount moose. In mine my wife will pay people to take them as she prepares for life with husband #2 who isn't a serious outdoorsman.

I tried to convince my taxidermist that the business to be in would be to create mounts that have the ability to switch out horns out on.
Take your new horns, drill them, pin them, pop the old ones off and pop the new ones on the "Interchangeable mount".
He told me I was crazy, but I am telling you I would love to have a mount that I could just pop my new horns on in a few seconds....

Next mount I see for sale online I am going to buy it and try it. Why not?

I got some good horns lying around that I would like to mount but I am too cheap to mount them.
If I'm understanding what you are thinking correctly, then this has been around for a long time.
Google "removeable antler taxidermy".

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and kind of regret how much taxidermy I've gotten done over the years.

I won't have any family members that will be interested in more than 1 or 2 of them. Is it weird if I have a viking style funeral on top of my pile of mounts?

Same thing with my sheds. I've never sold one, but all they're doing is collecting dust and will probably get sold for way less than they're worth after I give up the ghost.
Dibs on your muley. 🙂 mtmuley

After spending the last few days filling a dump trailer with unfinished projects my dad started that cost more to fix than to buy new. I'm going to start purging stuff and will never go to an estate sale with plans of buying buckets of old screws and drills missing cords or 50 cent garden tools with rotten handles.

Attachments

• 20230611_112135.jpg
    20230611_112135.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I'm about to dump some "trophys". The first one bought a Lilja barrel. This one will pay for the smithing. Poetic Justice. mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back