What happens when you die?

Yeah basically. Anyone know if making B&C book changes the value of a mount?
B & c size makes a mount more valuable. Some really big trophy type mounts have sold for quite a bit in the past

I have been looking for some mounts for the local high school teacher who teaches wildlife management. He wants them for his classroom. I would have thought it would be pretty easy to find some unwanted mounts. But so far, nothing. So someone is keeping them as there are not widows out there begging to get rid of them in my neck of the woods!

I was in my local Idaho antique store yesterday they had mounts for sale as high as 16,000! I’m rich! Granted the 16k was a lion on the back of a zebra ha ha but they had “regular “ North American mounts for thousands. Those mounts are like Money in the bank!

I was in my local Idaho antique store yesterday they had mounts for sale as high as 16,000! I’m rich! Granted the 16k was a lion on the back of a zebra ha ha but they had “regular “ North American mounts for thousands. Those mounts are like Money in the bank!
You can put whatever price tag on something but that doesn't mean it sells for that.

You can put whatever price tag on something but that doesn't mean it sells for that.
Quit peeing on my parade!! The mounts are part of my retirement portfolio 😂😂 I made sure it’s diversified with shoulder mounts,some full body mounts, straight horns, tanned bear,lion and bobcat hides. In reality I’ve seen terrible taxidermy sold for a lot in my opinion and I have first hand experience with great taxidermy that you can hardly give away.I know that My taxidermy is not worth much to anyone but me. Just cool memories that I get to look at 👍

Probably get dispersed amongst family to whoever wants some of it. Anything else I would want donated to a biology department at a high school or college. Let's be real hopefully over 40 years from now when I die a lot of kids will never get the chance to feel real otter and beaver fur and see why it was so sought after. Touch moose antlers a see just how big they are. They may not realize how heavy sheep horns are and understand headbutting. Get close to a pronghorn and understand how they can see over 180 degrees side to side. Or see just how big a wolf is. I'd be happy with my stuff getting worn out letting kids experience that firsthand.

Museums let you see it for a fee. But every kid that's come over to my house always leaves wanting to know more about animals and begsbtheir dad to take them hunting after getting to actually TOUCH a bear claw, prime fur, or hold headgear from a big animal. That tactile learning is just different.

Last edited:
Not that my collection is this big, but this was cool....

The museum started in 1989, when wildlife instructor Ron Head learned that Santa Rosa's Codding Museum was closing. Hugh Codding provided hundreds of thousands of dollars as well as his museum's extensive collection, said Weir. Students and community members chipped in to build the museum, purchased a new place to house the buses, with the help of the Coddings and other donors, and created what Wier calls the world's largest high school museum.

More than a decade later, the museum's collection just keeps growing. New additions include a hands-on activity center and a tide pool that houses a marine life collection.

Let's see what these classics go for...

Let's see what these classics go for...
That bobcat is pretty great!

I received yet another email yesterday from a gentleman wanting to know how to sell his lifesize sheep mount. He's very considerate....cancer is in remission, but it created an awareness that nobody in his family wants his dead sheep and he doesn't want his wife to have to deal with it. Most of the messages I get are from the families.

I had a guy contact me earlier this year who had purchased over 100 pieces of taxidermy from an estate, including a grand slam of lifesize sheep mounts. Wanted to know if we would like to purchase them. I politely declined, telling him that people in general are not that interested in the taxidermy mounts of other people.

I got a random call from him again about 4 weeks ago, ready to deal. The price had dropped... to free...gonna have to start paying for storage if he couldn't get rid of them. I politely declined again. I told him that I would have a hard time giving them away, as I was sure he was discovering. :D He replied, "I understand it's really rare to have a collection of all 4 sheep!" I corrected him that it's rare to get to hunt and harvest all 4 sheep, and nobody cares about other people's taxidermy.....

Do your families a favor and figure it out before you check out. I think my go-to line will be, "do you really want all of this sh1t or are you just being nice?"

Tragic but true. The memories attached to mounts are literally only in the mind of the hunter. I have chosen almost entirely to go with skull or cap mounts. I've told my daughter once I'm gone she should use them to make crafts/artwork or feel free to give/sell them someone who can use them that way. Knife handles in particular. The African stuff will probably be easy to get rid of.

Tragic but true. The memories attached to mounts are literally only in the mind of the hunter. I have chosen almost entirely to go with skull or cap mounts. I've told my daughter once I'm gone she should use them to make crafts/artwork or feel free to give/sell them someone who can use them that way. Knife handles in particular. The African stuff will probably be easy to get rid of.
I may be the exception….I would kill for my grandfather’s n great grandfather’s elk n deer mounts. I remember listening to the stories, helping them getting ready to head to wherever they were going, all of it…..n now they sit in houses where the new “owners” don’t give a flying f**k about em…..yes it pisses me off

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back