Caribou Gear Tarp

Water - How Much?

X2 1.5L Nalgenes live in my pack, and I’ve gone through both plenty of times.

My limit for back country camp spots is to be within a mile of water, a lot less in nasty terrain. This is my water kit for camping out (an additional 1.5L Nalgene cattle is currently in my pack). I’ve never said “boy, I wish I had a little less water on hand right now….

Dehydrated meals, coffee, brushing teeth, and 3-4L just for drinking per day goes through it pretty quick.

D78E9A0C-6D59-4205-B00C-8405672BCF97.jpeg

Has anyone tried the Grayl Geopress? I have 2 48oz Nalgenes (hate bladders), and am thinking of using just one 48oz and bringing an empty 24oz Grayl to refill the one Nalgene 48oz and drink on the go from the Grayl.

This would save weight not carrying the extra 48oz of water in the second Nalgene.

I'm thinking of trying backpack hunting next year to increase range, and I'd be curious to know what folks do for water?
Carry In?
Depends on area usually start with 2 L if going uphill and I know water exists.
Find on the go?
If you’re staying for more than 1 night you must at 8.4 lb/gal
Some combination?

And what are folks' average daily needs? I'm thinking a liter/quart per day is probably a good place to start.
Minimum of 3L/day. 4-5 better if hiking 8+ mi/day at elevation.
Thanks for all your input in advance.

Has anyone tried the Grayl Geopress? I have 2 48oz Nalgenes (hate bladders), and am thinking of using just one 48oz and bringing an empty 24oz Grayl to refill the one Nalgene 48oz and drink on the go from the Grayl.

This would save weight not carrying the extra 48oz of water in the second Nalgene.
So here’s what happened… super hot day… long climb up a ridge. Ran out of water on the hike down. Only brought one 48oz Nalgene.

Good thing there was a creek at the bottom and that I brought the grayl.

Never will I be short on water again. I’d rather lose weight in other places, water = gold when hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back