MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Water - How Much?

I tore 2 roofs off yesterday, 16 hrs, wearing long sleeves. High of 84 degrees and moderate wind. Drank 11L, and could have drank more as my urine color ranged from light to medium yellow.

That’s an extreme situation but hauling elk quarters in warm weather, including trips by flashlight isn’t altogether so different. It’s easy to underestimate water intake when sweating profusely over many hours.
Yup.

Now, I'll keep "workwise" out of it..unless you're looking for comm/res roofs, Then get ahold of me 😉

it's pretty easy to ignore thirst or not think you need water right now, can easily sneak up on you later. One thing I like to have is electrolyte packets. Does more than simply hydrate you, keeps the cramps away, helps you not be as sore, and helps you push a little more, especially on E.

The often left out thing is the rest you get when grabbing water. That's as important as the water itself. Nothing like trying to be thick headed and wanna pack out more than you should to save a trip or "I'll get water at the truck". That's a quick way towards injury.

I'd rather do 2, 3, 4 - 3 mile pack outs, than pushing it all in 1 or 2 gorounds. I'm not young and dumb anymore, and nothing is apealing about 80+ pounds tromping miles through snow other than the cache itself and the celebratory beer at the end.

plus, whats one more night or one more stop for water? Its unlikely to cause issues. I tend to use that last day as a scouting day and reflection anyway.

Water itself-i will bring in 2-1l nalgenes (1 water and 1 water with electrolytes), and filter water from there PRN.

Even for short hikes, I use a 3 liter bladder in my pack. If I know I'm gone all day or going far, I'll toss a full Nalgene and I carry either Nuun electrolyte tabs or packs of LMNT electrolyte packs. I'm also going to try out Liquid IV's this season. But I'll have a few of these if I'm out for a day or more. I don't do a lot of multi-day backpacking for hunting, pretty much truck/camp based, and I bring at least four gallons for a weekend. Used for drinking, cooking and even showering (I have a Lunatec spray cap for a Nalgene, works great)

Even for short hikes, I use a 3 liter bladder in my pack. If I know I'm gone all day or going far, I'll toss a full Nalgene and I carry either Nuun electrolyte tabs or packs of LMNT electrolyte packs. I'm also going to try out Liquid IV's this season. But I'll have a few of these if I'm out for a day or more. I don't do a lot of multi-day backpacking for hunting, pretty much truck/camp based, and I bring at least four gallons for a weekend. Used for drinking, cooking and even showering (I have a Lunatec spray cap for a Nalgene, works great)
I use LMNT too. Seems to work awesome. What makes you want to switch and use Liquid IV?

I used liquidIV but found it too sweet and too much sugar for my taste when on the hunt, switched to biosteel and find it better overall..

...though liquid iv mixes better with 'hair of the dog'....

For the person who had the "surprised" reaction to my post, carrying the nalgene and using the electrolytes is a recent development for me. I'm 56 yo. My work outs in the past couple years have been a little more intense for hunting (ruck hiking in 100 degree heat of Santa Clarita CA in the summer). Last six months, even after drinking tons of water post-work out, my feet were cramping up bad at night. So I used the electrolytes. It resolved the issue. I carry the extra nalgene because over the course of hiking during the hunting season, my water bladder got low and one time empty, by the end of the day. Remember, it may seem heavy when you first head out in the morning, but if you're drinking enough, the "weight" of the water diminishes. Plus, humping my hunting pack is a fraction of what we carried when I served in the USMC. It's actually a little nostalgic for me to put a pack on with a little weight. Not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the heads up on the Liquid IV. A cousin's boyfriend's roommate works for Liquid IV and their apartment is full of them. She's passing thru my town in a week, and I'm hoping she remembers to bring me a case of the stuff to try out. FREE IS ME!!!

For the person who had the "surprised" reaction to my post, carrying the nalgene and using the electrolytes is a recent development for me. I'm 56 yo. My work outs in the past couple years have been a little more intense for hunting (ruck hiking in 100 degree heat of Santa Clarita CA in the summer). Last six months, even after drinking tons of water post-work out, my feet were cramping up bad at night. So I used the electrolytes. It resolved the issue. I carry the extra nalgene because over the course of hiking during the hunting season, my water bladder got low and one time empty, by the end of the day. Remember, it may seem heavy when you first head out in the morning, but if you're drinking enough, the "weight" of the water diminishes. Plus, humping my hunting pack is a fraction of what we carried when I served in the USMC. It's actually a little nostalgic for me to put a pack on with a little weight. Not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the heads up on the Liquid IV. A cousin's boyfriend's roommate works for Liquid IV and their apartment is full of them. She's passing thru my town in a week, and I'm hoping she remembers to bring me a case of the stuff to try out. FREE IS ME!!!

At 8 pounds a gallon I don’t carry any more than I have to.
Yup, I'll bring in 2 nalgenes, one off the hip and filled. The other hung off a carabiner off my pack, empty, but holding my sawyer and parts. IF I know there's going to be a decent water source, which 9/10 there is.

I personally like 2 nalgenes, if need be I can have 64 oz with me, well, up to 128? With the two saywer packs and 2 nalgenes. But I like one if I need/want hot water/hot drink and something to drink, or maybe wanna toss a hot bottle in the toe box and, well, something to drink yet.

But yea, ditto to @Mallardsx2 , I ain't carrying more of something that I can replenish in the field.

A gallon per day - at a very optimistic minimum. Maybe OK for winter time or for ambush hunting when you're sitting on a tree stand or in a blind and it's chill outside.
But when it's 80, 90+ degrees out and I'm actively hiking (with or without a rifle on my back), up and down hills, and sweating like a pig all the way - I can easily go through a 24oz bottle every 2 hrs or so. So that's going through a gallon of liquid by mid-afternoon.
I bring water of course but also use Sawyer filters to refill the water supply from not-perfectly-clean streams.
Also learned to use electrolytes instead of just regular water after getting cramped up after 2 days of drinking only water during hiking. Ready-to-drink ones like Poweraid and Gatorade work, but I've also ordered packs of powdered electrolytes - I chose "liquid-IV", but there's several brands - will see how good those are.

Didn't read through all the comments but I tend to drink a lot of water, especially when hitting it hard in the hills. I always carry a water filter and typically don't every leave camp without at least 1.5 liters. Water is heavy and it sucks to carry, but it sucks even more when you run out. Ran out once while packing out a bull. It was hot and I thought I was going to die. Won't do that again. I also always top off whenever I cross a creek.

Last edited:
I have a Katadyne water filter/pump. Haven't used it yet, but again, I pack what I typically drink. I don't do a lot of backpack hunting, where I'm away from my truck for more than a day. And I'm in So Cal. The water sources are few and far between!

I know this is an old thread, but maybe my water usage will help someone. I use more than most people. I’m 220lbs, and usually carry a pack that is 65lbs plus. I go through 3-6qts per day! 3ish when it’s cold. 6ish when it’s hot! Carrying 6+qts is a pain. If I know I’m not going to be around near the truck, I call the local GW and ask about water availability. If it’s around, I won’t carry more than 3qts. If it’s not, I’ll carry at least 6qts. My pack has pouches that perfectly fit 3, 3qt bladders, and yes I’ve carried all 9qts before, but I don’t recommend it unless you have to. If water is available, I use a Sawyer filter and never have more than one 3qt bladder full. By all means, if you’re smaller, carry a lighter pack, eat moist food(I eat mostly dry foods when hunting) and/or are hunting in cold weather, you can definitely get by on a little less than I do. That said, you don’t want to be on a desert hunt with 1qt of water.

By all means, if you’re smaller, carry a lighter pack, eat moist food(I eat mostly dry foods when hunting) and/or are hunting in cold weather, you can definitely get by on a little less than I do.

More emphasis should be placed on staying hydrated when it’s cold.

More emphasis should be placed on staying hydrated when it’s cold.
While that may be true, I’m 100% confident that my water requirements are substantially lower when it’s cool. I work outside and some days when it’s over 105 I’ll drink 2-3 20oz bottles of water per hour for 8-10hrs, and might go all day without peeing, but my shirt will be soaking wet from the neckline to the waistline. In the winter in an 8hr day I might only drink 2-4 bottles, and have to stop to pee more than once. Don’t get me wrong, most days I have to take a leak even in the summer, but occasionally if it’s hot enough I can’t physically consume enough water to need to pee until I get home and cool off. I’ve noticed a similar disparity in my water needs when hunting, although not as extreme.

In about 3 weeks I'll be packing 16L in to archery hunt elk. That's 34 lbs of water and the most I have ever packed.

I have typically brought 3 liters/day for hunting in the Rockies in October. Some days I don't drink it all in the field, but try to force it down if I don't. I haven't really done the supplement thing, but may do that this year. Thinking of bringing one LMNT pack per day. Lots of salt. I have a hard time with the others that have lots of sugar. I may buy a big bladder to leave at camp this year.

Dangerously small amount there! If it’s hot, you’re sweating, carrying a pack or hailing meat, doing lots of miles, etc I’m at about 7L + 1.5L to rehydrate food. At the lower end if you’re not sweating much a hair under 4L + 1.5L for food. I like a 2L hydration pack + 2 quart bottles I will also fill if water is scarce. If water is abundant I have 1L minimum on hand.
Agreed, I normally drink a gallon of ice tea per day. That is like 3-4 liters. I'm planning day packs, no overnight and am planning to take about 3 liters in with me. I am planning to get a steri pen to refill if needed, or forbid I end up having to stay in the woods for a night, it would be nice to have water.

Remember, water is critical for humans, we can only go for a few days without water, but we can go several weeks without food. Unfortunately water is also heavy...

I'm thinking of trying backpack hunting next year to increase range, and I'd be curious to know what folks do for water?
Carry In?
Find on the go?
Some combination?

And what are folks' average daily needs? I'm thinking a liter/quart per day is probably a good place to start.

Thanks for all your input in advance.
Almost every backpacking guide you will find recommends a gallon/day. That said, everyone is different. I can get by on 2 quarts/day even in the hottest conditions while a good friend of mine needs at LEAST a gallon if not more.

Also depends on if you're doing any washing or cooking at all with that water.

I would never, ever plan a backcountry trip without knowing for SURE where my water was coming from.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back