Caribou Gear

How to start

jakenbake

So I have some stupid questions (insert "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people"). How do you start figuring out where you're going to apply? I have 5 elk points in CO and there's a chance my family circumstances might let me actually go on my first elk hunt either this year or next. I've used archery, muzzleloader, and rifle to hunt whitetails and am probably looking at a 1st rifle tag. Do most folk use a service like Go Hunt to get a jumping off point for where it seems possible/likely to draw and to filter by things like public land/success rates? Having never used their service, the videos Randy has put together sure look easy to navigate. How essential do folks feel something like that is? Is the Top Rut offering from OnX Elite worth a rip when trying to figure out where to apply/hunt? Once start narrowing down units, how do you start figuring out where the elk might be and when do you start weighing that in your application process? I know elk can end up in widely varying places on the landscape based on the calendar, but how do you nail down things like elevation and food sources in the unit you're hunting, trying to figure out how much of it exists in the unit for that season? I've had relatively good success talking with biologists in the past, but coming to them with at least some clue about what you're talking about goes a long way. How do you usually start that figuring? Thanks for any insight.

i think toprut is useful for just generating a list of tags you can likely get. so if you have onx elite already it's absolutely worth it. but you gotta do a lot of you're own work after that.

this list is helpful too, but it's a lot to peruse and not a very quick solution - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2023ElkDrawnOut.pdf

look at units you can draw, look at the hunt stats on the population estimates, bull/cow ratios, total number of tags, success etc. and pay special to attention to terrain you think you can handle. if you like what you see and you can draw it then get after it.

google the units, you'll find a far amount of useful info that way. cpw also has videos on youtube where each district wildlife manager sits down and discusses a lot of good general things about the units they oversee.

with 5 points there are plenty of worthwhile units, i would say don't get overly hung up on where exactly the elk might be until you have a tag. before that largely just ensure you're getting a tag worth having.

a lot to chew on there, a lot of ways to skin that cat. but all that stuff is part of the fun.

I use GOHUNT and I think it’s a very valuable tool in research, and applying in one state or multiple. I would say that for you going on your first elk hunt it would be extremely valuable, for more reason then the above mentioned.

Decide favorite season and weapon. Zero in on those units that took 4 points to draw last year and that look interesting to you and give a fair number of tags (at least in part meaning there are probably plenty of elk). Pick a unit within your capabilities, elevation, ruggedness, wilderness, access roads, lodging/camping, etc and ensure its a unit with lots of public land (national forest, typically) options and then don’t further overthink until you draw the tag. There are so many units to try, just sort of narrow down and basically then if you even throw a dart or flip a coin, it matters little for a 1st time or for a one and done hunt. Once you are drawn, start going over maps and data and plotting Day 1, 2, 3 option, or options A, B, C, etc. Don’t pay too much attention to success rates if you know how to hunt and do all if the above. Good luck.

Colorado draw odds are easy to read but the other information you get on gohunt is worth it. It’s only $150. You spend that almost every year for one point. Don’t go cheap on finding a good unit for you after all this time

I like GoHUNT, but so do 1000s of other hunters. Everyone is reading the same unit profiles, comments, success rates etc. The nice thing with GoHUNT is the convenience of it, few clicks and you’re looking at units you can draw, compared to looking at CPW draw statistics. This alone is worth the time savings.

If you sign up for GoHUNT they usually have good promos going that will get you $50 in gear shop points at signup!

-Yooper

Another thing to consider is 1st rifle season is only 5 days long. That’s not a lot of time to get it done your first time in an area. Might be worth a look at a longer season or make sure your there a couple days early.

As said above, don’t get hung up on success rates and everyone one is reading the same gohunt unit summary…

I would save your 5 point and do an OTC hunt. If it is your first elk hunt you will make many mistakes and learn a lot. Not just about finding elk, but gear choices, fitness, terrian limitations, etc.

Imo, gohunt or any tag of the tag research tools just aren't worth it. Too much changes between seasons, everybody puts in for the tags gohunt recommends, and everyone is getting the same recommendations. I checked gohunt for a 3 point resident colorado cow tag, they suggested a unit that had 40% winter kill last year, looked into wyoming cow tag recommendations, they gave me units I already earmarked after doing my own research for a couple of hours. You can find the same info easily with the reports the different states put out, it's almost too easy these days.

I would save your 5 point and do an OTC hunt. If it is your first elk hunt you will make many mistakes and learn a lot. Not just about finding elk, but gear choices, fitness, terrian limitations, etc.
Any recommendation on which is a more useful learning experience as far as applying the knowledge to a 1st rifle between an archery tag or a 2nd/3rd rifle?

Absent terrible weather, elk can likely be found in much the same places between archery and 1st. But everything can change and change quickly into 2nd/3rd with both reponse to pressure and the chance of increasingly iffy weather. I’d pick archery for scout-hunting.

Any recommendation on which is a more useful learning experience as far as applying the knowledge to a 1st rifle between an archery tag or a 2nd/3rd rifle?
It depends on your hunting style. Will you be stalking dark timber? Hunting oak brush? Glassing? Calling?

Personally, I think glassing is the easiest method for starting out. Whitetail hunting has precious little in common with elk hunting, and the best you can do is forget what you learned and start fresh. I would not get too hung up on success rate of a unit/tag. If you pick a unit with ample accessible public land, a large # of tags issued, terrain you feel you can realistically tackle, and glassible slopes, you can get our there and learn. In CO there are numerous OTC units that meet those criteria, if you are up to the physical challenge.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back