NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Unit Help

Jcour4

I have been doing a lot of research lately on a 3rd season OTC elf hunt in Colorado and I had a hard time picking a unit. This would be my first elk hunt if everything comes together and I have settled on unit but I figured I would ask others if it is my best option.

The area I want to hunt is very steep and has a lot of altitude change and does have fairly high hunter numbers. I have experience hunting in elevations between 8-10k feet but not in November. I chose the unit because I believe that I could get away from people but the terrain will be a challenge. Then there are units that I have researched that have a very high number of hunters but less challenging terrain. I'm looking for a legal bull, nothing more. Really I just want to get some elk hunts in prior to drawing any limited tags. Basically a rehearsal and work the kinks out.

What are everybody's opinions, is it worth me trying the super tough terrain for the first trip and be away from people or try an easier terrain unit and deal with the people? Like I said I have my assumptions but want some other opinions.

Well it sounds like u r planning to hunt high? I don't think that's a bad idea but I would def make sure the elk are in this area come third season. They are usually up high early season but their winter range is usually lower in elevation in more gentle terrain. I would look at this CDOW and check out their wintering range vs summer and make sure u r in the right spot

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back