Unit 45 Colorado

bigdogg2278

I am starting to plan my first trip to Colorado I am going with a couple other people who have spent some time in unit 45 but have not hunted it, We are going to go in on the west side of 45 close to the 44 boarder. Has anyone hunted that unit before or any tips for it? We are going archery probably the second week during muzzy season. What kinda of weather should I pack closes for? Thanks

I've never hunted up there but am also considering 45 for a 3rd rifle hunt. I skied in the wilderness west of Minturn last week and it is some cool country for sure. There are some big ridges and deep canyons that look like great elk terrain. September in the Colorado rockies is probably the nicest time to be out in the woods. Warm days and cool nights are the norm but you can absolutely see snow and the chances are better the higher in elevation you go. I'd say be prepared for anything really. You'll want clothing that will breathe well and keep you dry as it'll be steep terrain.

Holy Cross wilderness is huge country, way up in the sky. There are a few long, broad valleys w creeks & beaver ponds, but the rest of it is steep and rugged. I backpacked there in summer. Don't be tempted to try driving the "4wd road" to Holy Cross City.

In my experience with GMU 45, the elk will be high in September. 11,000 ft +. It seems they like to feed along the timberline and then slip back into the dark timber to bed during the day as the temps rise. I'd try to position myself between those bedding & feeding areas right at timberline, which will be about 12,000 feet and let the thermals dictate your set-up. Good luck. And I'd pack for all types of weather. I've hunted there in September when it was so warm I didn't wear a shirt while hiking. I've also hunted there in September after a massive storm dumped 12" of snow on my camping spot. It's high-elevation elk hunting.

Last edited:
We hunted 45 during first rifle. It is steep, rugged terrain. Plan to go high, like 11,000 feet. Choose a north-facing slope with water available. We hiked 3 miles up from the forest road and camped at 11,800, for example. It was pretty rough with a 60 lb pack, but it's where you find elk. We are going again in 45 for muzzleloader.

The CPW has stats for each GMU, and 45 isn't great for a take rate: 12% last year and some single digit percentage the year prior. There are elk there and few hunters, but prepare to cover mileage on foot.

Back