Yeti GOBOX Collection

Trying to make sense of my scouting trip

shepherdng

I am new to elk hunting in general. We are planning a DIY archery elk hunt in Colorado this year. Two weeks ago I made a 4-day scouting trip and focused in on three different areas I had e-scouted using Randy Newberg methods. We found an area that had elk sign (scat, tracks, beds, old rubs) from the bottom of the drainage basin all the way to the top of the ridge (~12,000 feet). We will be hunting between Septmeber 15th-23rd, and I am wondering at what elevation would one expect the elk to be at?

Some more information about the area:

1. We were 2 miles in from the road, and there is no trail leading up this particular basin; so we had to bushwack the entire way.
2. The starting elevation is 9,900 feet and reaches close to 13,000 feet at its terminus.
3. The total length of the basin is 6 miles.

We will be bivy hunting so another question I have is: How close can you camp to elk generally, without spooking them out of the area?

Thanks in advance.

It's not as much about elevation as it is pressure. You will be hunting after the elk have been pressured for a couple of weeks. Look for thick steep terrain.

Old rubs...as in last year? How fresh was everything else? I agree elevation isnt that important. Cover (protection), water, feed, shade. Where can the elk go to eat, water up and hide away from everyone? That's why a lot of guys hunt next to private.

Awesome first post btw. We see a lot of unit specific where should I go because I wont have time to scout posts.

A lot of it will make more sense after the hunt, and great job getting out and scouting! Very impressive and great to hear! For sleeping near the elk it shouldn't be too big of a deal. A lot of opinions on this. I like to be a few hundred yards from where I plan on hunting, some times more just based on terrain. You need to remember even when camping up there you still need to remain somewhat quiet and not talk to loud as they wander around. There's a good chance while setting up camp, eating, just taking a break; something goes walking by, or you wake up and there are tracks right next to you too.

Also pay attention to where you camp in regards to wind.....elk smell you at night while you're sleeping will have the same effect as when you are hunting them during the day.....bye bye elk!!

Also pay attention to where you camp in regards to wind.....elk smell you at night while you're sleeping will have the same effect as when you are hunting them during the day.....bye bye elk!!

I'd like to agree, but I've had elk surrounding my camp at night before. Tough to sleep through. :D

Old rubs...as in last year? How fresh was everything else? I agree elevation isnt that important. Cover (protection), water, feed, shade. Where can the elk go to eat, water up and hide away from everyone? That's why a lot of guys hunt next to private.

Awesome first post btw. We see a lot of unit specific where should I go because I wont have time to scout posts.

Thanks. Most of the rubs we found were from last year, we did find alot other fresh sign in the basin though, along with seeing a few elk.

Thanks. Most of the rubs we found were from last year, we did find alot other fresh sign in the basin though, along with seeing a few elk.

I've seen animals hit the same rub line year after year. Good chance they hit it again this year. Don't take that as gospel though. If you saw animals in a nasty area that few are likely to go, good chance after pressure more animals get pushed there.

I've archery hunted Colorado before and most of those buggers were just above the tree line when the season opened. Shortly after they were no longer above the tree line. They bailed down into a wilderness area that was very difficult to get in to. At the same time I saw a herd of cows with a single bull at about 9,000 feet. What I learned was that small group tended to feed down at night and work their way back up in the morning.

I don't know if this applies to where you will be, but I thought it was interesting that one small group of animals behaved differently than the larger herd.

I've seen animals hit the same rub line year after year. Good chance they hit it again this year. Don't take that as gospel though. If you saw animals in a nasty area that few are likely to go, good chance after pressure more animals get pushed there.

I am making an assumption that many people will not go through the nasty swamps, and brush we had to get through to get into this area. Also there was no sign of camps from the previous year. The other two spots that we scouted had elk sign, but also had alot of sign of people that had been in there hutning from the previous year. I appreciate the help!

A lot of it will make more sense after the hunt, and great job getting out and scouting! Very impressive and great to hear! For sleeping near the elk it shouldn't be too big of a deal. A lot of opinions on this. I like to be a few hundred yards from where I plan on hunting, some times more just based on terrain. You need to remember even when camping up there you still need to remain somewhat quiet and not talk to loud as they wander around. There's a good chance while setting up camp, eating, just taking a break; something goes walking by, or you wake up and there are tracks right next to you too.

Would you rather camp above or below the elk?

Would you rather camp above or below the elk?

As a rule of thumb, the wind will be flowing downhill in the early morning. This holds true for me nearly every day. In general you should plan on camping below where you think the elk will be and hunt up to them.

No advice. One of the best question ever from first time poster. The guys with knowledge are responding. Like how that works!

Sounds like a successful scout trip.
I would avoid camping IN the basin if possible & I would bivy on a side ridge near bottom 3rd. Been within 1/4 - 1/2 mi of hunting area & water this way,not that I don't start hunting when I wake up to a bugle.

Sounds like a successful scout trip.
I would avoid camping IN the basin if possible & I would bivy on a side ridge near bottom 3rd. Been within 1/4 - 1/2 mi of hunting area & water this way,not that I don't start hunting when I wake up to a bugle.

Thanks! I doubt I get much sleep at all if I hear a elk bugle...

Following....i'm the OP's hunting partner. We had a blast scouting....cannot wait for the hunt!

As for locating Elk, most of the time you're in "big country", where Elk aren't evenly distributed in it. I walk at a reasonable speed, keeping a close eye on the ground looking for fresh scat and other sign. When you find really fresh scat, you'll know it. So, as you encounter that, you need to hunt accordingly and slowdown, keep track of the wind, and look, listen, and smell.

Good advice above, I'll weigh in on my thoughts.

It's great that you are finding sign (relatively new) - and the fact that it is tough to get to the area makes it sound like a great area to focus on. If there is a likely camp spot near the area but not on top of where you are planning to hunt - then I would bivy there. Since you are bivy hunting - in my experience that doesn't tend to blow out elk. You could have the random occurrence - but since you are packing light (ie just enough to have a flat spot to sleep on - and I would eat cold food the first night or two) - chances are your camping won't affect things.

I say this only because you alluded to it being a bear-cat to get into the area. If you'll get a better nights sleep closer to the "sign" - then it's been my experience that it out-weighs a sleepless night clutching onto the mountain with my butt-cheeks.

It doesn't take much area to have a decent nights sleep - so if you can find a small bench big enough for you and your partner - and close enough to the "spot" that you want to be at first-light - that is ideal. Another thought to keep in mind - plowing through dark timber before light hits can be tough. Sometimes it's better to take a chance on spooking a herd from sleeping versus spooking a herd while trying to get to the "spot" at first light.

Congrats on finding a likely spot - and for a great post. You'll never know how good that area is until you hunt it during season.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back