MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Top 5 Best Western Reads

My alternative/out of the box western lit pick would be either, or both, Walking It Off, and The Grizzly Years by Doug Peacock. The pensive, lonely, sometimes self abusive pursuit of wilderness struck a chord, and made me look at how PTS has shaped or colored many of my own outdoor experiences. People can criticize his perspectives on wildlife management and environmental policy, but it's tough to deny that dude has seen and done some shit.

And yes, if you want to support a self aggrandizing poacher, read Indian Creek Chronicles.
I need to read some Peacock.

I have a copy of the Pete Fromm book. It's on my to-read list.

I need to read some Peacock.

I have a copy of the Pete Fromm book. It's on my to-read list.
Fromm is a great writer and all. I'm just bitter about being conned into buying a book where a guy glorifies going into the Idaho backcountry and poaching all winter. It was the 1970s not the 1870's Pete. Seems like it gets praised without any pushback. The poaching isn't even really presented in a counter cultural or outlaw way, it's just kind of romanticized and condoned.

Fromm is a great writer and all. I'm just bitter about being conned into buying a book where a guy glorifies going into the Idaho backcountry and poaching all winter. It was the 1970s not the 1870's Pete. Seems like it gets praised without any pushback. The poaching isn't even really presented in a counter cultural or outlaw way, it's just kind of romanticized and condoned.
Fair point. I was at Indian Creek recently. A few in our group hadn’t read the book and said “that’s the one where the guy poaches the moose, right?”

Loose youthful morals aside, it’s still a fun read.

Many of my favs already listed...

If you want more nonfiction crime/detective type novels, the books by Tony Hillerman about the Navajo Tribal Police/Four Corners area are pretty good, sort of similar to the Longmire series.

True, My daughter harps on me about that all the time lol
Ours is pretty sweet, you can login online, place a hold on your book and they'll send it to you, then you can either mail it back when your done or just drop it off at one of the after hours boxes they have setup in front of each library.

With Audible and Kindle my shelves may get a break. As an aside I started Two Years before the Mast and I unashamedly read along withthe narrator simply because his tone and delivery were so pleasant. I think it made for a much more vivid image in my mind...

Ours is pretty sweet, you can login online, place a hold on your book and they'll send it to you, then you can either mail it back when your done or just drop it off at one of the after hours boxes they have setup in front of each library.
Ours does the same, and if they don't have the book you want, they're tied in with all the other libraries in the Treasure Valley, so they can get it for you. Plus, my better half volunteers down there on her day off, so she can do the pick and drop off for me. Hooray!

Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Reardan is a great nonfiction about a trapper/market-hunter in Alaska in the early 1900s.

Also whoever mentioned Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner, don't get your hopes up, good book but definitely not a western...it's basically about 2 elderly couples having a vacation at a cabin in Vermont.

True, My daughter harps on me about that all the time lol
Look for an app called Libby.

You can search, hold, borrow, and listen to audio books from any number of libraries you put in your search list.
The app will get you a library card at those libraries on your profile credentials.

Harder for me now that I'm not on the road all the time. I used to knock out 2 books a week easy in my rig traveling for work.

Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Reardan is a great nonfiction about a trapper/market-hunter in Alaska in the early 1900s.

Also whoever mentioned Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner, don't get your hopes up, good book but definitely not a western...it's basically about 2 elderly couples having a vacation at a cabin in Vermont.
I HAVE to read it. I've been told I'm a "Completionist". Once I start an author or series, I can't rest until I've read everything. I will no doubt have a book open next to my deathbed.

Five Skies by Ron Carlson.
The author captures the landscapes, work ethic, and people in this novel located near Hells Canyon, Idaho.
First paragraph:
It was a cold may in all of Idaho, and as the month began there were only a few short stacks of lumber and construction gear on the plateau above the remote river gorge, along with all the game trails and the manifold signs of rabbits who were native to the place and who now moved cautiously around the three men sleeping on the ground.

Not your traditional westerns, but John Moore has some really good books. He’s a great guy. I got to spend a little time elk hunting with him many years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back