To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

I think the chambering just isn't captured on film as often the cameraman is on the animal... there are a couple of scenes were you can hear it happening... but it's also in a ton of episodes, I found it in the first two that popped up on youtube when I searched.

13:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItOiDZ2cA7g&list=PLLdxutimd-Ju60UjbLn6MLjXntVTtqLHb&index=6

18:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_fD2UVbns&index=8&list=PLLdxutimd-JvVnHxn1GoeJry96xYOX55n

Thanks for the links wllm1313 I'll try to pay more attention next time. Maybe my old ears pretend they don't hear it when I am watching his shows.

I find this an interesting thread because (1) I usually agree iwth Big Fin and (2) I consider myself a stickler on gun safety who has lost friends because I told them they were doing it wrong. I chamber the round when I think a shot is eminent and when it is safe. When I'm stalking open country game like pronghorn, that is a few moments before the shot. But most of my hunting is still hunting deer and elk in timber, shots are inside 100 yards and seconds count. Yes, there is a risk but no more risk than, say, hunting chukar with a group and with dogs on the slick canyons of the Snake or Salmon Rivers, which is what I grew up doing. In 40 years of handling guns I've had two accidental discharges. Both times the rifle was pointed towards game I was trying to shoot. Once I pulled the trigger two early while swinging on a flushing blue grouse. Once I had a faulty safety that (about 1 in 100 times) fired the rifle when the safety was taken off. Both of those would have happened whether I hunted with a loaded chamber or not. Muzzle control, of course, is paramount and if you're in a situation where you cannot control the muzzle you better unload.

I thought it was something to do with the sear getting stuck and the rifle going off as soon as you took the safety off??

possibly. Sounds like what Ben is describing as well.

There has to be at least one of the carry hot crowd who think the noise of switching off a safety and time it takes are the difference. Anyone?

Noise. Time. Motion. When you're 30 yards from a bull and slipping a bullet between lodgepole pine, yes, it makes a difference to work the action. Not the safety. You can pinch a safety off without a click.

Seems the list is a lot longer of folks who'd have to change their habits to make a guest TV appearance.

1)No, only chamber when static and ready to shoot.
2)CO

Muzzle control, of course, is paramount and if you're in a situation where you cannot control the muzzle you better unload.
None of us are mountain goats, slips and falls happen.

Noise. Time. Motion. When you're 30 yards from a bull and slipping a bullet between lodgepole pine, yes, it makes a difference to work the action. Not the safety. You can pinch a safety off without a click.

What's easier to get away with; sliding a round into a rifle chamber or putting an arrow on a string, drawing and shooting?

I see Randy’s name mentioned a few times in this thread. Serious question and no disrespect to Randy.

Does him having a TV show and him requiring guest hunters to not have a round in the chamber make his opinion more valid then any other hunter?

Greenhorn. Valid question. But when you're bugling in an elk, he's coming to you. I don't bowhunt much anymore, but when I did, we would take cover and when the elk was close, nock and arrow, and then wait for the bull to step into range. Tracking a bull or still-hunting a bull is a different scenario. I am totally paranoid about walking around with a nocked broadhead and would not do it. I consider that more risky than a live round with a safety on. But this is a really good discussion and it's making me think a lot. Thanks.

Growing up hunting in Michigan I always had one in the chamber. Since I stated hunting out west, I tend to leave the chamber empty when on foot. First and only Elk I've shot a few years back made for an interested event. I hadn't trained my brain on the empty chamber enough, so when I pulled the trigger, all I got was a "click.". Luckily the Elk just stood there looking around and gave me time to chamber a round.

Anyone ever take a fall while out hunting? Slip on ice? Loose rocks? wet stick under the snow?
Never happens to the cool kids. And their wiley elk might get away.

Friend of mine who gets out more than most, was hunting alone in Western WY for mule deer. It was thick and steep, and he was carrying his rifle on a Kifaru gun bearer. He went after a deer and chambered a round. The deer got away, but he forgot to unchamber the round - snapped the rifle back onto the gun bearer. A while later, when picking his way through some alders, you guessed it.. muzzle was about 3" from his head.

Walking your rifle?
IMG_1256.jpg

Never happens to the cool kids. And their wiley elk might get away.

Friend of mine who gets out more than most, was hunting alone in Western WY for mule deer. It was thick and steep, and he was carrying his rifle on a Kifaru gun bearer. He went after a deer and chambered a round. The deer got away, but he forgot to unchamber the round - snapped the rifle back onto the gun bearer. A while later, when picking his way through some alders, you guessed it.. muzzle was about 3" from his head.

Walking your rifle?
View attachment 85422

I was just thinking about that hunt the other day...hard to believe it's been eight years ago.

That part I remember the most about taking a header in that creek was you on the other side taking pics and laughing. It was pretty damn funny...;)

Is it safer to chamber later on, in most instances, probably. I just wonder how many guys who refuse to take that perceived risk, will do so when it comes to carrying a shotgun for birds or small game-probably most. How far does the success ratio need to drop for risk tolerance to increase?

The question wasn’t whether you keep a round chambered while in the gun bearer. I don’t.

But if we’re going to start changing the scenario, GH do you keep a round chambered while hunting pheasants?

The question wasn’t whether you keep a round chambered while in the gun bearer. I don’t.

But if we’re going to start changing the scenario, GH do you keep a round chambered while hunting pheasants?

Not a round. When hunting pheasants I usually carry a shotgun.

Scenario was set by Ben, "When IN THE FIELD HUNTING, do you typically have a round in the chamber or not?" Strapped to pack, over the shoulder or with a gun bearer doesn't seem much different to me.

A scenario of "do you rifle hunt like you hunt flushing birds", that is definitely a different scenario. I doubt that was the point Ben was going for, but he can correct me if I am off base.

Is a short range blast from a 12 gauge any less devastating than a short range blast from a rifle? I took the question to encompass any type of hunting, not just open country big game hunting.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back