Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Yes. Cocked and locked. I hunt alone.
PA

2 years ago i spotted a guy through my binos. He was spotting with his binos. We both waved our hats in acknowledgement.
He then proceeded to unsling his rifle, lever action, jack one in the chamber and fire towards me.
We'll just say he scampered off in a big hurry.

Another great reason to carry hot, you never know what other people are thinking.

Right....you never know when you're going to get into a firefight with other hunters.

Best answer on the thread!

From the time I leave the rig until I get back I carry one in the chamber and have since 1972.

I can think of a whole lot of bulls I would have not killed if I had to bolt in a round.

MT.

BTW whoever asked the question about carrying a nocked arrow to a chambered rifle round-well that’s apples and carrots.

Last edited:
1) Never. If a guest hunter has one in the chamber before an encounter, he gets one warning. As some have said, nobody has ever been killed by a rifle without a round in the chamber. And like some, I've never had an animal escape because of the time it took to chamber a round.

There is nothing worth running the risk of a firearm accident.

2) I live in MT and hunt all the western states.

Interesting variety of responses here. For me it's completely dependent on the conditions and game I'm pursuing. Most often I do not chamber. The exceptions to this is when I'm still hunting through heavy timber alone. In that scenario most of my encounters with game are at fairly close ranges where the added movent and sound of working the bolt can be the difference between getting a shot or not. If I'm hunting spot and stalk in open country, I never chamber until time to get set for the shot.

I'm actually surprised at how many hunters go without a round chambered. I honestly thought that was just a trend the TV hunters were doing currently. I don't think I've ever actually hunted with somebody that "went cold" chambering a round prior to shooting. Unless it's dark or have the rifle attached to the back of a frame pack.

BTW whoever asked the question about carrying a nocked arrow to a chambered rifle round-well that’s apples and carrots.

How so?

Legitimate question, not trying to be a smart ass, you were hunting 16 years before I was born so drop some knowledge on me.

How so?

Legitimate question, not trying to be a smart ass, you were hunting 16 years before I was born so drop some knowledge on me.

Generally archery elk are called in and most times its a bit of a process. Set up, call and it all goes right an elk comes within range and this can take some time. Walk up on an elk about to blow out of his bed at 50-70 yards in the lodgepole and you best be ready. Shot or no shot its all over in a matter of seconds.

No. Never chamber until ready to shoot.
I hunt MT in a variety of terrain. Quite honestly if I miss a shot opportunity because I have to take the time to chamber a round I don't really care.

Generally archery elk are called in and most times its a bit of a process. Set up, call and it all goes right an elk comes within range and this can take some time. Walk up on an elk about to blow out of his bed at 50-70 yards in the lodgepole and you best be ready. Shot or no shot its all over in a matter of seconds.

It’s apples to apples, both being bad apples. Either way, I don’t nock an arrow or chamber around until I believe I’ll soon be shooting. If I were hunting with somebody who stepped out of the truck and jacked a round into the chamber.. I’d be asking them WTF they were doing.

Fair point with regard to calling elk in the rut... but that's a very specific type of hunt. I hunt quite a bit with my brother-n-law who only uses a bow, for mule deer, pronghorn, bear, and a lot of elk hunting his tactics with a bow seem to be pretty much the same as mine with a rifle... he just has to really watch the wind, plan his stalk much more deliberately, and in general just be a real sneaky SOB.

I guess my point would be... sure when you get to 50-70 yards of elk in lodge poles put one in the chamber... but why put one in for the 4 miles, 3 hours, and two ridge-lines between the truck and that spot. Unless you can jump out of your truck and be that close, in which case you have an awesome spot.

but why put one in for the 4 miles, 3 hours, and two ridge-lines between the truck and that spot. Unless you can jump out of your truck and be that close, in which case you have an awesome spot.

Because it has been within a quarter mile of the truck, and also 4 miles from the truck, with elk you don't know.

It’s apples to apples, both being bad apples. Either way, I don’t nock an arrow or chamber around until I believe I’ll soon be shooting. If I were hunting with somebody who stepped out of the truck and jacked a round into the chamber.. I’d be asking them WTF they were doing.

Fair enough, but if I were hunting with someone without a round in I would be asking if he was just taking the rifle for a walk.

Back