Caribou Gear Tarp

To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Fair enough, but if I were hunting with someone without a round in I would be asking if he was just taking the rifle for a walk.

Ok, so say you are taking an adult onset hunter for their first hunt you hop out of the truck, do you tell them to put one in the chamber, same thing with a 12 year old on their first hunt. If no then at what point?

Say you and I go hunting, I've killed around 20 big game animals at this point but this will be only my 6th season and 6 year owning a rifle. Would you feel comfortable with me having one in the chamber?

Just wondering if you think experience plays a roll or not. Personally if I was hunting with Cushman, or one of the LEOs/ or military personnel on here I might feel differently than if I was taking my buddy from NYC on his first hunt.

Ok, so say you are taking an adult onset hunter for their first hunt you hop out of the truck, do you tell them to put one in the chamber, same thing with a 12 year old on their first hunt. If no then at what point?
I have never taken an adult onset hunter. I get asked plenty but pass. Like I said before I am particular who I hunt with. The only 12 year old I have taken is my son and my hunting partners son. They grew up with rifles in their hands.

Fair enough, but if I were hunting with someone without a round in I would be asking if he was just taking the rifle for a walk.

I guess that's what I do, take my rifle for a walk, every time.

You’d actually prefer that somebody had one in the chamber you were hunting with? Not sure why this is such a foreign concept to me..

Last edited:
If I were hunting with somebody and they were uncomfortable with me having a round chambered, I'd go along to get along. But when I'm hunting, I've seen that things can and sometimes do happen fast. I prefer to have fewer steps when getting ready to shoot. Also the game animal might be close enough to spook at the sound of the bolt being worked.

As a side note, one reason. I've never given this issue much thought is because I've carried a firearm for work, and concealed when off duty, for the past 15 years or so. I certainly carry my service weapon with a round chambered.

You’d actually prefer that somebody had one in the chamber you were hunting with? Not sure why this is such a foreign concept to me..

A person I would hunt with, yes. The average Joe, I wouldn't hunt with. I am fun at parties though. :)

I guess my hunting group world is so small I never gave it much thought. I figured everyone had a round in the chamber.

1) It depends - Rifle (Rare - Exception being Coyotes), Muzzle-loader (Loaded, but without primer), Shotgun (Always - Bird Hunting)

2) West

1. Typically chamber upon entering whitetail stand. Sometimes have one in the chamber while flanking on a deer drive, but drivers don't typically have guns on deer drives. While hunting out west this fall I'm going to implement a "no rounds in the chamber until ready to shoot" rule with my group because they're fairly inexperienced, but would probably have one in if I was hunting solo.

2. Midwest

Not sure why this is such a foreign concept to me..

Hunting without a loaded gun is foreign idea for me. Aside from a few coon hunters, I never heard of someone hunting without a loaded gun until watching Randy's videos. Never would've guessed it was this popular until this thread, and will consider it for some future hunts.

Think a lot of it has to do with game, hunting style, and terrain.

So far... I had to take some liberties with location... and if you said spot and stalk no, but birds yes I but you in the no category.
total.jpg

Hunting deer, here in the Adirondacks, I've got a round chambered at all times (unless there's some obstacle I need to get around/over). I've never heard of a hunter not chambering a round in this kind of environment. I'd say it's very nearly essential.

When I hunt out west, in open country, I do not chamber, because I don't feel like I need to. If I'm stalking through a bedding area, etc. I do chamber.

I have read several replies concerning Randy, and his safe hunting. I have seen several of his shows on the hunting channels, and aside from learning quite a bit from his shows, I am impressed by his knowledge of the subject, and the safe practices he exhibits. I would like to add, however, that I have never seen him chamber a round before he shoots, which leads me to believe he is hunting with a round in the chamber. Or it could be the "chambering" isn't filmed right before he shoots. Not saying it's good or bad, just trying to recall to the best of my ability. I could be wrong- Maybe Randy might reply if he has the time.

I have read several replies concerning Randy, and his safe hunting. I have seen several of his shows on the hunting channels, and aside from learning quite a bit from his shows, I am impressed by his knowledge of the subject, and the safe practices he exhibits. I would like to add, however, that I have never seen him chamber a round before he shoots, which leads me to believe he is hunting with a round in the chamber. Or it could be the "chambering" isn't filmed right before he shoots. Not saying it's good or bad, just trying to recall to the best of my ability. I could be wrong- Maybe Randy might reply if he has the time.

I'm sure it's hard to capture on video all the time, but there are some videos where he or a guest chamber either immediately before the shot or when closing in. Maybe I'm missing something as well, but I only recall him saying that it's done because of the large hunting party while filming. Never knew it was common practice.

Next we need to do a poll for the guys who carry hot.

Do you have the safety on or off?

And aren't Remington 700's the rifle that can go off even with safety on?

Next we need to do a poll for the guys who carry hot.

Do you have the safety on or off?

And aren't Remington 700's the rifle that can go off even with safety on?

I thought it was something to do with the sear getting stuck and the rifle going off as soon as you took the safety off??

I think the chambering just isn't captured on film as often the cameraman is on the animal... there are a couple of scenes were you can hear it happening... but it's also in a ton of episodes, I found it in the first two that popped up on youtube when I searched.

13:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItOiDZ2cA7g&list=PLLdxutimd-Ju60UjbLn6MLjXntVTtqLHb&index=6

18:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_fD2UVbns&index=8&list=PLLdxutimd-JvVnHxn1GoeJry96xYOX55n

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back