Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tipping Guides?

That sort of bullshit is why this sight keeps getting bigger with hunters who would rather do it ourselves and fail, than to pay people like you

...wut?

Sounds about right. Just like a waiter at a restaurant. If you tip them well you will get treated well, if you don't then expect to be ignored. Just the way it is.

If you go on a $5,000+ hunt ant tip $100 to the guide and stiff the kitchen help then don't plan on coming back and if you do expect the worst guide available and the worst hunting spots and the worst meals and service. It's not rocket science. Treat people the way you would like to be treated. Treat them like $h!t then expect to be treated like $#!t. If working a 18 hour day for a week is worth a $100 tip then expect to get $100 worth of service the next time you hunt with the guy.

I was not going to say anything, but seeing this got me on the hook.....as well as the guides email.

I'll take a harder stance than John even...

If I spent $5000 dollars I don't expect to tip at all as I spent $5000 dollars to be there. If the outfitter is not paying his help well enough then it's not for me to help pay his salary, just like in the food service. They know going into it they may not get a tip and the pay is what the pay is.

I have a regular job and I have customers and I don't get a tip every time I fix there issues. I get paid what I get paid...plain and simple. It's not like I can pick and choose who to work hard for based on the customer paying part of my salary. I treat everyone the same.

I do believe this guide is being very honest and he and other guides do treat people like this and it's really sad. You bait people in with it's $5000, but it's really $6000 or so because of "additional" costs. Just make the damn thing $6000 so I don't have to tip.

This is why of course I will never use a guide...it costs too much for me.

My advice to the OP....don't tip at all...you already paid a lot to be there and should not be expect to fork over even MORE money.

I was not going to say anything, but seeing this got me on the hook.....as well as the guides email.

I'll take a harder stance than John even...

If I spent $5000 dollars I don't expect to tip at all as I spent $5000 dollars to be there. If the outfitter is not paying his help well enough then it's not for me to help pay his salary, just like in the food service. They know going into it they may not get a tip and the pay is what the pay is.

I have a regular job and I have customers and I don't get a tip every time I fix there issues. I get paid what I get paid...plain and simple. It's not like I can pick and choose who to work hard for based on the customer paying part of my salary. I treat everyone the same.

I do believe this guide is being very honest and he and other guides do treat people like this and it's really sad. You bait people in with it's $5000, but it's really $6000 or so because of "additional" costs. Just make the damn thing $6000 so I don't have to tip.

This is why of course I will never use a guide...it costs too much for me.

My advice to the OP....don't tip at all...you already paid a lot to be there and should not be expect to fork over even MORE money.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Guides don't get paid squat by the outfitter in many cases. Probably around $10 an hour. They make a large part of their money in tips. That is just the way it is.

I understand you don't agree but its' just like waiting tables. They make $2 an hour to cover taxes and make the bulk of their income on tips. You may not like that either but that's how it is. If you choose to stiff your waiter and think the owner should pay them better that is your choice. However I would not recommend eating at the same restaurant twice if I was you and did what you are talking about. Stiff you bartended and see how well they treat you when you come back to drink. It's the same concept.

People in service positions make money on tips, the harder they work for you the more you should be willing to tip them.

Why don't' you go tell the restaurant/bar owners that they should charge more for meals and pay their help better so you won't have to tip. Good luck with that.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Guides don't get paid squat by the outfitter in many cases. Probably around $10 an hour. They make a large part of their money in tips. That is just the way it is.

I understand you don't agree but its' just like waiting tables. They make $2 an hour to cover taxes and make the bulk of their income on tips. You may not like that either but that's how it is. If you choose to stiff your waiter and think the owner should pay them better that is your choice. However I would not recommend eating at the same restaurant twice if I was you and did what you are talking about. Stiff you bartended and see how well they treat you when you come back to drink. It's the same concept.

People in service positions make money on tips, the harder they work for you the more you should be willing to tip them.

Why don't' you go tell the restaurant/bar owners that they should charge more for meals and pay their help better so you won't have to tip. Good luck with that.

I agree 100% and I know I was stating the obvious. I also want you to know this was not directed at you either.

I do tip well when I get good service, but I don't pay $5000 dollars for dinner. The outfitters don't pay a dime to raise wild animals and the fee they charge is out of hand. I do understand this is how it is and will never use a guide or an outfitter due to this cost.

I know...it is what it is....Still sad.

That's not how it works. That would be like one of your customers only paying you half and figuring they paid enough. Tips are part of your hunt and you are expected to pay them unless your guide is terrible. Outfitters pay guides expecting they get tips, not the other way around.

My outfitter gets $5200 per hunter of that I see about $160 take home. I understand and agree with you that tipping is a poor wage system. But the outfitter already has his money, by not tipping a deserving guide all you're doing is pissing on them. Most outfitter could care less once they get their money.

Don't be a jerk. Tip your guides

I've never not tipped cook staff or a guide. But I sure won't use some % scale to do so! You give me 100% and work hard for me and I will tip you well! On the other hand some hunter who has saved for years to go on a hunt of a lifetime shouldn't be expected to make up for poor pay by an Outfitter. IMO

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back